Find
Notify
Tools

Ore. hiker shot by bear hunter
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
SUBLIMITY, Ore. - A California member of the U.S. Marine Corps Reserves was shot and killed in Oregon after authorities say a hunter mistook him for a bear.

Christopher Ochoa, a 20-year-old from French Camp, Calif., and a friend were hiking through a field in Western Oregon on the way to Silver Creek Falls Park on Friday evening.

Ochoa was wearing dark-colored clothing when an Oregon man hunting for bear with his 12-year-old grandson saw something moving in the brush and fired one shot from a .270-caliber rifle, striking Ochoa, the Marion County Sheriff's Office said.

The sheriff's office said the hunter, Gene Collier, 67, hasn't been charged and said the shooting appeared to be accidental but turned the case over to the local district attorney's office.

Collier cooperated with detectives, according to a press release from the sheriff's office, and there was no indication that he was impaired by drugs or alcohol.

Ochoa's family in California told police he and Raymond Westrom, 53, of Lathrop, Calif., were in Salem, Ore., to do work on a house. Ochoa was set to report back for duty on Oct. 25.

Westrom directed Marion County sheriff's deputies through the woods to Ochoa, who was still alive when deputies arrived. The deputies administered first aid, but Ochoa died at the scene.

Bear season in Western Oregon runs from Aug. 1 until Dec. 31. Hunters are permitted to take one black bear per season, with restrictions on cubs less than one year old or sows with cubs.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
sorry state of affairs. note to self--- jog in blaze orange during big game season.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
sorry state of affairs. note to self--- jog in blaze orange during big game season.

Totally disagree. It is up to the shooter to know what he/she is shooting at. This guy should go to jail for a very long time.

I was out bird hunting this morning. Some dickwad pulled up to my 4 Runner and proceeded to start target shooting at junk (which really pisses me off but that is another story). I start hearing bullets flying all over (ricocheting, etc). So I approach from a 45 degree angle. They never saw me until I was 10 feet away. After ripping their ass for not wondering if maybe the guy in the 4 Runner wasn't out in the desert hunting or hiking, they have the balls to ask me, "You are hunting in camouflage?" (I started out the morning calling coyotes, so I had BDU trousers and a camo tee shirt - so what if I had been hunting coyotes?)

Anyone who shoots someone needs to go to jail. There is no f_cking excuse for this, and statements suggesting joggers need to wear blaze orange are ridiculous.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Another sound shooter. Most common 'hunting accident' in the NE too. Shame.....

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
There is no excuse for that shot ... in my view I see this as criminal negligence and the penalty should be stiff.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

Totally disagree. It is up to the shooter to know what he/she is shooting at. This guy should go to jail for a very long time.

I statements suggesting joggers need to wear blaze orange are ridiculous.

Well as long as you have hunters who sound shoot or shoot at what they think is a Bear,Blaze orange is a wise choice.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
quote:
quote:

Well as long as you have hunters who sound shoot or shoot at what they think is a Bear,Blaze orange is a wise choice.

The general public has no idea what is in season at any given time.

The solution to this problem is to treat this as a crime, not an accident.

I have every right to coyote hunt in camo clothing. To suggest that somehow I am the dangerous one out there is BS.

I wish the NRA would come down strong on this crap. Instead, they would likely support the idiot who shot the hiker. We need to support responsible gun ownership, but come down on those who have proved they are not worthy.

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as an accidental shooting if one is aiming at a target and kills a person whom one thinks is an animal. This is simply murder, and should be punished as such. If a hunter cannot positively identify the "game" they are shooting at, then a shot should not be taken. What an example for the grandson.

Hunters who use the excuse "I thought it was a " needs to be prosecuted to the limits amy time a person is shot. And we wonder why our hunting rights are threatened.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
What a shame, our prayers for the victims family.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Absolutely agree with this. Owning a firearm and being able to hunt is a BIG responsibility & a privilage. To abuse that privilage by being totally irresponsible is nothing but criminal negligence.

Simple, is it not?

quote:
quote:

I was out bird hunting this morning. Some dickwad pulled up to my 4 Runner and proceeded to start target shooting at junk (which really pisses me off but that is another story). I start hearing bullets flying all over (ricocheting, etc). So I approach from a 45 degree angle. They never saw me until I was 10 feet away. After ripping their ass for not wondering if maybe the guy in the 4 Runner wasn't out in the desert hunting or hiking, they have the balls to ask me, "You are hunting in camouflage?" (I started out the morning calling coyotes, so I had BDU trousers and a camo tee shirt - so what if I had been hunting coyotes?)

Anyone who shoots someone needs to go to jail. There is no f_cking excuse for this, and statements suggesting joggers need to wear blaze orange are ridiculous.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11250 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Sound shot? WTF shocker There is no excuse. This is a criminal case.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting for over 50 years.

NEVER, EVER have I fired a shot, without knowing EXACTLY what kind of animal, what sex included,where necessary, I was shooting at.

I just do not see how ANYONE would/could, fire a shot without knowing EXACTLY what they are shooting at.

WHAT COULD THEY BE THINKING???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was in gunsmithing school years ago in CO there was an accidental shooting.

The victim was very much part of the problem. In bear country in a state requiring flourescent orange .Hunter wore NO orange .Hunter wore full length black parka with hood up .Gun resting against a tree he paced back and forth ,brush hiding lower legs.

Shooter was experienced hunter and watched the 'bear' for a while to make sure and took it out from 300 yds.

check and check again .

One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Sad!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had a similar incident here in Washington two or three years ago. The hunter was very young, about 15 as I recall.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The general public has no idea what is in season at any given time.

The solution to this problem is to treat this as a crime, not an accident.

I have every right to coyote hunt in camo clothing. To suggest that somehow I am the dangerous one out there is BS.

I wish the NRA would come down strong on this crap. Instead, they would likely support the idiot who shot the hiker. We need to support responsible gun ownership, but come down on those who have proved they are not worthy.

Yes you can wear Camo.You are not the bad guy.I do plenty predator hunting and wear camo,but never when there is a Big game season going on.I always have some orange on because fools abound.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
I agree that the shooting should be investigated as a crime. This is gross negligence, at best.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
When I was in gunsmithing school years ago in CO there was an accidental shooting.

The victim was very much part of the problem. In bear country in a state requiring flourescent orange .Hunter wore NO orange .Hunter wore full length black parka with hood up .Gun resting against a tree he paced back and forth ,brush hiding lower legs.

Shooter was experienced hunter and watched the 'bear' for a while to make sure and took it out from 600 yds.

check and check again .

Well, I guess 600 yards was too far to confirm it was really a bear huh?

If you aren't hunting, you don't have to wear orange in the states that require it. If you can't tell a guy in a black hoodie isn't a bear you need to get closer.

Having shot a lot of bears, I can't imagine how he even sized this up at 600 yards.

No Mete, the hunter in this case was completely at fault. The hunter could have been a guy out on a picnic with his family, in which case he wasn't required to wear orange.

To say anyone is partially responsible for their own death because they didn't wear orange is putting our sport at risk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I will be the one hold out. Sort of.

I can't see giving a hunter who made a mistake the same penalties as someone who deliberately went out and decided to rob a liquor store and shot someone while doing it, or got liquored up and shot someone in a bar argument.

Is it wrong? yes. Is it negligent? yep. But there are also some groups that don't even care. Did the hunter in this case try and help the guy he shot after he discovered it was not a game animal? That would make a difference to me (how he reacted to making a mistake...)

I don't disagree that there should be repercussions, but treating this like the local gangbanger is not right either.

could it be considered some level of felonious crime? I suppose so, but you will find enforcement very spotty. I suspect how charismatic the victim is will be the big player (which is absolutely wrong in my view- a life is a life, but lets not get started on "hate crime") so that is a problem.

The fact that all (or almost all) hunting accidents get solved by the shooter coming forward is telling.

In this state, they do make an effort before the deer opener to warn folks that there will be hunters out, and that you should use common sense when dressing. Heck, they tell duck hunters that they can wear camo while hunting, but that they have to wear blaze going to and from the blind during deer season. Having said that, it does not excuse shooting at sound, or not being sure of your target.

Posts: 11030 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

I can't see giving a hunter who made a mistake the same penalties as someone who deliberately went out and decided to rob a liquor store and shot someone while doing it, or got liquored up and shot someone in a bar argument.

Is it wrong? yes. Is it negligent? yep. But there are also some groups that don't even care. Did the hunter in this case try and help the guy he shot after he discovered it was not a game animal? That would make a difference to me (how he reacted to making a mistake...)

I don't disagree that there should be repercussions, but treating this like the local gangbanger is not right either.

could it be considered some level of felonious crime? I suppose so, but you will find enforcement very spotty. I suspect how charismatic the victim is will be the big player (which is absolutely wrong in my view- a life is a life, but lets not get started on "hate crime") so that is a problem.

The fact that all (or almost all) hunting accidents get solved by the shooter coming forward is telling.

In this state, they do make an effort before the deer opener to warn folks that there will be hunters out, and that you should use common sense when dressing. Heck, they tell duck hunters that they can wear camo while hunting, but that they have to wear blaze going to and from the blind during deer season. Having said that, it does not excuse shooting at sound, or not being sure of your target.

I am not saying they are as guilty as a bank robber who shoots someone. But I do believe they should do a long time in jail and should never be able to hunt/own a gun again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I am not saying they are as guilty as a bank robber who shoots someone. But I do believe they should do a long time in jail and should never be able to hunt/own a gun again.

Do you feel the same way about Drunk Drivers killing people???How about the woman who was to busy texting to see my Nieces car when she ran a red light T-boned and killed her.Nothing happened to Her besides a inattentive driving ticket.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Do you feel the same way about Drunk Drivers killing people???How about the woman who was to busy texting to see my Nieces car when she ran a red light T-boned and killed her.Nothing happened to Her besides a inattentive driving ticket.

Olbiker:

Actually, I brought this subject up at a dinner party we hosted last night and pointed out that it is criminal people can kill others because they are inattentive and all they get is a traffic ticket.

Hopefully your niece's family sued the crap out of the woman who ran the red light.

So yes, I do believe the same standard should apply. Why is it we insist on being 100 percent correct with the death penalty but we allow others to kill people in so many ways, seemingly without regard to what is "fair" to the victim?

one of us
posted Hide Post
AZwriter, I corrected that distance to 300 .This of course is on memory 40 years ago.In any case I think the victim is certainly an accesory to the crime.
I get the impression that courts are looking at 'accidental 'shootings differently these days with the shooter held responsible.

There's still no excuse for shooting at sound or movement !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inexcusable.....harsh punishment should follow (but let me remind you of the vast number of armed criminals that continue to roam the streets despite lengthy records).......I'm hoping the "hunter" is devastated......but I find this to be felonious negligent discharge and manslaughter.

I have a bud who was shot by a local hunter 20 years ago.....the jackass hunter was 58 and is a local crappy taxidermist who still hunts to this day......he shot my bud who was wearing an orange hat and coat with a 20g slug at 70 yds. saying he was "color blind" and mistook him for a deer......he was found not guilty of wrong doing and was completely unrepentant. Makes me sick.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
AZwriter, I corrected that distance to 300 .This of course is on memory 40 years ago.In any case I think the victim is certainly an accesory to the crime.
I get the impression that courts are looking at 'accidental 'shootings differently these days with the shooter held responsible.

There's still no excuse for shooting at sound or movement !!

Mete,

What if the guy wearing the black hoodie was a hiker or someone who wasn't hunting? They are under no obligation to wear orange. Why are they somehow responsible for being shot?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"gotta kill something, I bought a tag...." syndrome.

I'll bet his grandson (and the rest of his family)is really proud of him.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's certainly anyone's right to wear camo, assuming legality, but that doesn't make it smart during certain times of the year. There is no question that not wearing orange or chartruese increases the chance of an accident while being in the woods during big game season. Admittedly the chances are very small, but that doesn't make them zero.

It's anyone's right to take a walk through the Chicago Projects late at night but that doesn't make it a smart move, nor should they be surprised when they are robbed or attacked.

I don't believe anyone is suggesting that there was fault on the part of the hiker for not wearing orange. It was 100% the shooter/hunter's fault. However, IF the hiker had been wearing orange he might still be hiking. Prevention is better than blame.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALWAYS BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT. This is one of the most important firearms safety rules we have, right up there with always pointing the muzzle in a safe direction and keeping your finger off the trigger.

If you pull the trigger, that bullet is your resposibility until it stops moving.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
This is a tragic event for everyone.

Fortunately this story is news- and discussion-worthy because accidents like this happen so rarely.

It's interesting to read old newspaper stories and see how often people were shot on account of being mistaken for game.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I don't dispute that you SHOULD NOT have to wear orange, However, I would rather be safe and look silly than be shot!

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't dispute that you SHOULD NOT have to wear orange, However, I would rather be safe and look silly than be shot!
AMEN!!!!