Notify
Tools

Spring bear hunt recommendations
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I've got the bug to go bear hunting.

I'd like to hunt spot and stalk maybe over bait in the evening and just perusing the internet it seems like Idaho is one of the better choices.

They seem to have a good percentage of color phase bears
Most outfitters offer two bears (with almost 100% success on the first bear)
They are priced very reasonable (two bears, 5-6 days for around $2,500)

Are there other western States or Canadian Provinces that compare more favorably?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank as you know Ca. has some of the best black bear hunting in the lower 48 states. No hounds anymore. I will be hunting them solo west of Redding oct. 20-26 If you would like to try it. You are welcome no guides and no fees.
Charles

Posts: 1023 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlfguns:
Frank as you know Ca. has some of the best black bear hunting in the lower 48 states. No hounds anymore. I will be hunting them solo west of Redding oct. 20-26 If you would like to try it. You are welcome no guides and no fees.
Charles

Thanks Charles, that was very nice of you to offer that!

Unfortunately the only time I can get away from work or family obligations is in the spring and summer. I have one of the worst schedules and almost cannot leave the house or office from mid September through mid November every year.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tanks
posted Hide Post
Myself and a few folks from AR are doing the hound hunting in a couple of months.

I think he has a few more spots open.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...2100588/m/2401075991

Posts: 1083 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: 01 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
It would be hard to beat Richie Outfitters in the Selway. It's a two bear area with lots of color phase. Here's a link to a hunt I did with them a few years back. Going back this fall for Elk, Deer, and Bear.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by talentrec:
It would be hard to beat Richie Outfitters in the Selway. It's a two bear area with lots of color phase. Here's a link to a hunt I did with them a few years back. Going back this fall for Elk, Deer, and Bear.

Thanks for the info, I remember your post as I love Morels!

Frank