Find
Notify
Tools

37" Oryx
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got back from WSMR, whacked me a 37 incher!!!!..............wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job...any photos??
thumb

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, no cameras allowed on the range. Sure is ashame, but you can see a pic of it on the wall!!......wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That ain't bad! We just got back from Namibia and our best went 36 1/4. Yours was a female, I'm assuming?

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!

........no photos back at the truck???

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Excellent! Last August when we hunted at Stallion (the wife's tag), we stashed our camera outside the gate in a yucca, brought the critter outside the gate, unloaded it, took pictures, then relaoded it. It was a major PITA, it was worth it to have a nice picture of the wife and her beast. It was even better because with all the rain we'd had the range was beautiful.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, it was dark when we got to the scene witht the truck, so we skinned, and quartered in the dark and the rain with head lamps. Got her at 240yds across a canyon with a 338rum, pass through, one shot put her face in the grass that she was eating......wapiti7

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, it is a very fun hunt. Did you see any remains of ordanance on the ground?

Posts: 10201 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At my age I'm no longer afraid to display my ignorance. Where or what is WSMR and how can I hunt it?

Posts: 36 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
WSMR is located in southern New Mexico and you can hunt oryx there by applying for a tag in New Mexico's big game "lottery." I warn you though, the odds are low and the price of admission is steep. Visit the NMDGF web site for more information. It's too late to get in for this year, but you can download this year's regulation bookletfor good information and to get ready for next year. Application deadline is generally the first Saturday in February.

There are a variety of hunts to put if for, so read well.

I've hunted there a few times (as has wapiti7), so feel free to ask questions. I'll try to get you pointed in the right direction.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Agurkis:
At my age I'm no longer afraid to display my ignorance. Where or what is WSMR and how can I hunt it?

White Sands Missle Range, you know, the place where they exploded the first atomic bomb. The reason they don't let you hunt there at night is because the oryx glow in the dark Wink Actually, the oryx (gemsbok) do quite well there in the desert environment, as you can see by the measurement of Wapiti's 37-incher.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Sorry, forgot to define the acronym. We call it "whizmer" for short. Oryx are doing quite well on the range, and are expanding pretty well off-range, though that has scared our xenophobic Game and Fish and they're whackin' them pretty hard now.

FWIW, my wife's oryx in the picture above measured 38" (good horn) and 28" (broken horn) and was estimated (by biologists) at about 600-650 pounds live.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I drew a tag on my first try on the small missile range and took a 38 1/2 inch female with my 338/06. I even had a south aafrican PH who was in the US helping to guide elk hunters come with me to help me judge them. Expensive hunt compared to hunting them in Africa but still worth it.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote