Find
Notify
Tools

Cabela's T.A.G.S. program
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Does anyone here have experience using Cabela's T.A.G.S. program?

http://www.cabelas.com/big-game-tags.shtml

It seems like a very useful tool, and something I might be interested in trying for myself....but I wanted to see if any of you guys have additional information on it (good or bad). Any info and/or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of application services.
If I was to list them in order of whom I trusted to do it right, Cabelas “TAGS” would be at the BOTTOM of the list.
Just ask about Arizona.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
The bottom line is points.

If you are serious about hunting sheep and goats apply in every state that has a point system outside of it's norma lottery.

Eventually you will have enough points to kill a sheep.

Stay away from states that don't have preference point systems.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anaconda:
There are a lot of application services.
If I was to list them in order of whom I trusted to do it right, Cabelas “TAGS” would be at the BOTTOM of the list.
Just ask about Arizona.

Anaconda:

You sure you aren't talking about US Outfitters? They are the ones that sued the state of AZ.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
You sure you aren't talking about US Outfitters? They are the ones that sued the state of AZ.

No, he's talking about Cabela's and the incident that occurred a couple years ago where they missed the application deadline because of a mailing SNAFU. Thus, hundreds of applicants didn't get into the drawing. Obviously all missed out on bonus points and some lost their loyalty points.

Cabela's appealed to the game commission to no avail. The commissioners said it would provide no special treatment anymore than it would for an individual that had the same problem.

It was the proper decision, IMO.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, he's talking about Cabela's and the incident that occurred a couple years ago where they missed the application deadline because of a mailing SNAFU. Thus, hundreds of applicants didn't get into the drawing. Obviously all missed out on bonus points and some lost their loyalty points.

That’s right.

Anybody can fill out and send in an application, the trick is to do it right and on time.
The ONLY reason to pay a service that I can see is to get the application done right, and on time.

“Points” in Arizona are very valuable. I believe if you could sell them, the would be worth upwards of three or four grand apiece.

People who were in the maximum point pool could argue the value of those two points were, in fact, priceless.

Cabela’s “TAGS” blew it, costing hundreds of people who trusted them.

What was Cabela’s response ?
Opp’s, were sorry, we will apply your fees to next year.

This is akin to paying an auto mechanic to change your oil, and he drains it but forgets to put in the new oil and the engine in your brand new truck is destroyed, and he says Opp‘s, sorry, your next oil change is on the house.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Posts: 254 | Location: Kaliforina | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good application service?

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
Does anyone have any suggestions on a good application service?

Very easy - http://www.globalhuntingresour...plicationservice.htm

If you are looking for everything, everywhere. Call Larry Altimus - Hunter Application Service www.hunterapplicationservice.com He's the most honest, experienced, guy I know of in the application service business, and they front the money for you.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

I didn't realize you did that also. I'll give you a call this week.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
Aaron,

I didn't realize you did that also. I'll give you a call this week.

Yes sir, we do! Our 2012 info will be on-line by January 1, 2012.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had very good luck with Cabelas Tags. The main benefit that I like is that they float the fees for the tags, so you dont have to put out any major cash.
I will continue to do business with cabelas tags.
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote