New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st Western Big Game Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
of your choices, the 280 would do fine, only in a ruger hawkeye. but then so would a 30-06.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BattleMountain:
here is the sitiation, I am from Arkansas, and moved to Colorado 8 months ago. I missed residency by 2 months, but this year will be hunting a mixed bag of mulie and elk, with black bear possibilities. I need a western rifle as i sold my whitetail rifle before the move. Choices are:

Winceshter model 70 - 308 winchester
Browning x bolt - 7-08
Ruger #1 - 7 X 57
Remington 700 Mountain - 280 remington

I will have to hunt in wilderness and the elevation change is around 3500 feet, which is no biggie, but weight of the rifle is an issue.

I do have a large surplus of 7mm bullets,

Of the choices you list, my choice would be the Mod 70 .308!

However that same rifle chambered for 338 Win Mag, and you are set for anything in NorthAmerica, and most things up to Bull eland, and the cats in Africa!

The Ruger No1 is a fine rifle, and chambered for 7mm Rem Mag ,308,30-06 or 338 would be my second choice of those you list.

For glass I'd be prone to go with a 2-7X40 Luepold!

I wouldn't even consider the Rem 700, or the Browning in any chambering, and I'd stay away from the short mags, rums, as well!

Back to the choices you list, mine would be the Mod 70 308!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
I wouldn't even consider the Rem 700, or the Browning in any chambering, and I'd stay away from the short mags, rums, as well!

Mac,

This deeply saddens me Frowner . Can I ask why you don't like the short mags??

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My choice wold be the new FN M70 FWT in 30-06.Then as money allows experiment with other calibers.You know this one will get all your hunting done for awhile.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I don't care for short mags at all, I think they feed ok in most rifles but what if you didn't get one of those rifles?

Hard to beat a Ruger M77 in 30-06, 308, 280, 300 Win, 7mm Remington, 338 Win mag, 358 Winchester, 338 Federal.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300 Winchester Magnum, in your choice of rifles. One rifle, One Continent...

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote