Find
Notify
Tools

Cross bows for Texas White Tails?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted
Did something change? Can cross bows be used during archery season now for non special needs hunters?

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
Bill Number: TX81RHB 968 Date: 05-18-2009

ENROLLED

1 AN ACT

2 relating to the use of crossbows for hunting.

3 BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:

4 SECTION 1. Section 43.201(a), Parks and Wildlife Code, is

5 amended to read as follows:

6 (a) Except as provided by Subsection (c) or (d), no person

7 may hunt deer, turkey, or javelina (collared peccary) during an

8 open archery season provided by law or by the proclamations of the

9 commission and during which season only crossbows, [used by hunters

10 with upper limb disabilities and] longbows, recurved bows, and

11 compound bows may be used unless the person has acquired an archery

12 hunting stamp issued to the person by the department. The

13 commission by rule may prescribe requirements relating to

14 possessing a stamp required by this subchapter. In a county that

15 does not permit hunting with a firearm, a hunter may use a crossbow

16 only if the hunter is a person with upper limb disabilities and has

17 an archery hunting stamp.

18 SECTION 2. The change in law made by this Act applies to a

19 proceeding regarding hunting with a crossbow that is pending or

20 filed on or after the effective date of this Act.

21 SECTION 3. This Act takes effect September 1, 2009.

______________________________ ______________________________

President of the Senate Speaker of the House

I certify that H.B. No. 968 was passed by the House on March

26, 2009, by the following vote: Yeas 146, Nays 1, 1 present, not

voting; and that the House concurred in Senate amendments to H.B.

No. 968 on May 14, 2009, by the following vote: Yeas 139, Nays 1, 1

present, not voting.

Chief Clerk of the House

I certify that H.B. No. 968 was passed by the Senate, with

amendments, on May 11, 2009, by the following vote: Yeas 29, Nays

Secretary of the Senate

APPROVED: __________________

Date

Governor

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Good God!

What is the english translation?

Can non-handicapped persons now use a cross bow during archery season?

A 'yes' or 'no' answer would be appreciated.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crossbows can now be used by anyone during general archery season (except in Grayson Co.) No gun season there either.
try www.txpwd.state.tx.us for more info

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a former bow hunter I think this is BS.

JC

Posts: 230 | Location: Palo Pinto Mountains | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me, too! But, they are now legal.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
First off, Yes crossbows are legal during the Archery season for non handicapped individuals.

Notice = To All "Archers" in Texas that believe this was a Bull Shit piece of legislation, Please Explain WHY using a "Hold Open" device, That Already WAS legal in Texas is okay and a crossbow isn't, You Fucking Can't.

1. The world is not going to run out and buy cross bows and kill all the deer in Texas.

2. Since 90 something percent of Texas is Private Land, Why shouldn't the people leasing that land hunt the way they want to as long as it is legal.

3. Just because they are legal for non-handicapped hunters now, how many folks do you really believ are going to run out and buy one and charge out into the woods with it?

A. Have you ever priced one of those rigs?

B. Have you ever shot one of them?

C. Do you ever practice with your normal archery equipment at ranges beyond say 50 yards, Nugent does and admits to it.

$. Do you really believe that crossbows are that much deadlier or capable of longer range kills than a compound/recurve/long bow?

From what I have experienced over the past few years seeing the ongoing arguement over the legalization of crossbows for non-handicapped persons, all of the BS and hand wringing is being generated by elitist archers that do not want to share the resource with anyone that does not believe and feel the way they do.

In fact I have met a few "Archer's" that would like to see the use of firearms for deer in Texas outlawed.

I think it is a great deal, maybe folks that can use a crossbow but can't or don't want to use a compound/recurve/long bow will go out and spend the money on a crossbow rig, buy a license and return to the field as a hunter.

That will generate revenue for the stores selling the equipment which works out to money into the economy, it might also generate an increase, even if only a small one in license sales, which will also help the state and the economy.

Now the flaming can begin in earnest. beer beer

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
+1, Crazy.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's see. They are heavier, slower and harder to reload, have a slower arrow speed and generally less accurate. And the problem is..... I just never understood.

But it is the same pissing contest the muzzleloader folks get into over inlines. The funny part is that most of the people bitching about it use compound bows. Aren't there too many gadgets on them to REALLY be called bows?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a crossbow on a whim; I'm also learning to use a compound and practicing with a recurve.

As I see it, the crossbow lets one hunt safely in higher population areas, on exactly the same occasions where one could use any other bow safely. The greatest advantage of the crossbow, as I see it, is that the learning curve is much shorter and the device is easier to shoot accurately.

Obviously, the crossbow is the only option for the disabled, but that's an entirely separate issue.

My recurve has no sights, and I've found it much easier to place shots accurately with a sighted bow; but I've also found the complexity of the compound reasonably painful. If one wants to hunt rather than to become an archer, the crossbow is an obvious choice, especially in sub-urban areas. The range limitations are essentially the same for all three devices.

I'll be honest, I enjoy shooting all three, and don't see a good guy / bad guy scenario. In these days of declining hunter populations, anything that attracts new participants to the sport is a good thing.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+ 2 Crazyhorse!

+ 1 Analog

Don't own one but might get one, just "to extend my season".

Would be kinda nice in a ground bling to bring along and get rid of pig w/o any gun fire!!!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Crazyhorseconsulting-

You make some terrific points, and those are my sentiments exactly.

LarryS and Analog -

Well stated, fellows. thumb thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
Texans bitching about fair chase? You gotta be fuckin shittin me!

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
MrHawg wrote: "Texans bitching about fair chase? You gotta be fuckin shittin me!"

MrHawg-

Don't generalize crap like that. It's obvious you know little to nothing about hunting in Texas. Until you do, try and load your brains before shooting off your mouth.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
About the only advantages to having a cross bow, is not having to draw in the presence of game,and not having to practice much.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fair Chase? Fair Chase would be running the animal down an choking or biting it to death. There's nothing fair about using an arrow or a bullet. But then life's not fair now it it?

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M16:
quote:

Fair Chase? Fair Chase would be running the animal down an choking or biting it to death. There's nothing fair about using an arrow or a bullet. But then life's not fair now it it?

Both of these comments had me snickering. Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
+1 for Crazy Horse

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RREESE
posted Hide Post
On the topic of crossbows, check out this http://www.scorpyd.com/store.html It is reverse draw technology. I read a review on it a while back. I don't own a crossbow (I do have a recurve) but if I buy one, this is what I'll get.

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 269 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In these days of declining hunter populations, anything that attracts new participants to the sport is a good thing.

i agree. what we need are more people buying hunting licenses and willing to vote to keep hunting legal. the "elitist" stuff is only hurting our sport imo.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote