New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Bighorn Success - 2020
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just thought I would share with you guys, the ram I took last week here in Idaho! I was the lucky winner of the 2020 Idaho statewide Bighorn raffle tag...and this was the result.

This year the raffle winner was eligible to hunt unit 11 (Hell's Canyon) so there was no question where I was headed. One of my buddy's showed me a couple pics of this ram back in March...so I was pretty excited when I won the tag!

Knowing how difficult of a place Hell's Canyon is...I booked a hunt with Sheep Meadow Outfitters (SMO) sure I was going to need the help. I told em the day I won the tag, this was the ram I wanted.

They located him the evening I arrived in camp...so all was set for the next day. We took a jet boat 20 minutes up river, and at first light we started up the canyon. By 10am we still had not found him...so we all split up looking into different canyons. About 11am a radio call came over...the outfitter found him way up the canyon.

So another grueling climb...a short crawl over the knob and there he was at 225 yards. As I was getting set up for the shot he laid down perfectly broadside, so I shot him in his bed. He got up, tumbled to the bottom of the canyon and it was over!

Yep...the climbing was hard - we probably did 2,500 vertical feet that day, but it was the heat that really made it unbearable. The temp hit 95 in the canyon that day...and with no trees / shade, there's just no way to get out of it. When I saw all the water everyone was carrying...I'm glad I paid attention! That place is brutally hot!

The camp was great, food was great, and without the help of SMO I might still be there melted to the side of the mountain!

He's a huge ram...and the exact one I wanted. He's 10.5 yrs old - 190 4/8" net (green score of course)

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Nice ram Aaron.
Congrats!

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like two different rams ?
Second pic looks broomed off , first pic looks sharp and clean ?

Nice animal anyway ...

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1299 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Nice sheep! tu2

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
That's a stud!!

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done!

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
What an incredible ram! Congratulations, now go find a bull to match.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.
That’s a great ram. Your 20 mile jet boat ride up the river sounds like a adventure on its own. The USA still has some very special places and habitats.

Posts: 712 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Amazing ram Aaron! Congratulations. I need you to pick some lottery numbers for me in the next Powerball...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful

Posts: 11389 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolute stud!! Congratulations!

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Now that's a ram!

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
Fantastic ram. Congratulations.

Posts: 388 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Aaron.

What a great ram. I've hunted rams in hot weather, the more help you have the better, just to carry all the water everyone needs!

Sheep hunting is always one of life's greatest adventures, but get a ram like that, just WOW.

Posts: 442 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I had two friends shoot a desert bighorn here in Nevada a few days ago. The temps were 110+. Eeker They got a nice ram, but literally escaped with their lives due to lack of sufficient water, extreme temps and what one of them described as the Bataan Death March back out of the mountains and to their truck. Frowner One of them said that he'd never felt so close to death as on this trek. Eeker According to him, prayer was a major element of their experience getting back out! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice ram!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colorado Bob:
That's a stud!!

This is about the only accurate reply as a 190 ram is most definitely a S-T-U-D of a trophy!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
What a ram! Wonderful!

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Well done and then some!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12930 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Proper RAM! Congrats and thanks for sharing with us!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Aaron...outstanding! That climb in those temperatures would be brutal. Us Canadians from the northern areas would just disappear in a puddle of sweat in that heat.

Anyways, beautiful ram. I need a bit of your luck in the draws. Most years I draw squat. Only time I seem to be successful is on draws where there are more tags than applicants. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1824 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is an exceptional ram. Congrats on getting him.
Bruce

Posts: 376 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice! congrats!

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Wow nice ram.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That thing has more mass than the Vatican. Wowza!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
WOW!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredible ram!!! Congrats!

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote