New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yukon Suitable Clothing - HELP!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, I bought my tickets yesterday for a Wood Bison hunt in The Yukon yesterday and leave on the second of February.
I own suitable boots but I must outfit myself with a suitable parka/pants or suit to handle -20 or worse. I would really like to get something in snow camo but nothing I have seen seems to have the insulating power of say . . .the Cabelas Extreme Trans-Alaska suit.

Any suggestions in snow camo or otherwise??

Thanks in advance,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
John,
Northern Outfitters makes excellent products, as does King of the Mountain, but they are expensive.

Another alternative is to use a conventional cold-weather camouflage outfit (or even a snowmobile suit) and wear white Tyvek coveralls over it.

You can spray paint your own camo pattern over it (splotches, pine boughs, whatever).

Tyvek coveralls are windproof, waterproof, scentproof, relatively quiet, cheap, and weigh almost nothing. They are available at places like Home Depot, Lowe's, and similar stores.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

[This message has been edited by GeorgeS (edited 01-17-2002).]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

Personally, I wear Duofold longjohns, Woolrich wool pants,shirt,and vest with a Filson coat(wool). Wool felt pack boots, Can. military mitts and a fur hat. This is the system I use for the 'cold weather' season when I am guiding hunts. I take 2 pairs of pants, shirt, longjohns and just the coat for the whole season. This system is what the stampeeders used 100 years ago during the gold rush. I am comfortable in temperatures from 0 to -40 degrees. It is what I used last Feb. when I was hunting bison and is what I will use this year.
I also use modern synthetics and they work well but I prefer wool because it is quiet and much more durable.
A parka and snowmobile pants or a 1 piece snomobile suit will be fine as warmth is concerned but I do not recomend them for they are noisy. With our bison, I would be more conserned with quiet clothing than camo.
Oh, I also wear a ball cap under my fur hat so that I have a sun shade and don't forget sun glasses.
Hope this helps.
What did Tim recomend you wear?

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George posted at the same time and i did not see his thread.
He mentions King of the mountian. It is the best that is available and worth the investment.

And the Tyvek coverals. They are the cats meow. Even if you use them only when you are butchering.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Daryl,

I take it you work with Tim and I will be seeing you in a couple of weeks? If so, I look forward to meeting you!
Tim recommended a down vest and a heavy weight jacket or parka with a hood as well as a pair of skidoo pants or a skidoo suit. Am I to understand that I will I be fine on the snowmobile with what you wear? I really prefer the wool to high-tech stuff as well.
I have a pair of Sorel Cumberlands with an extra insole as well as a couple pairs of heavy wool pants and have ordered some U.S. extreme cold weather mitts. So . . . I need some light gloves, good long underwear, a fur hat, good sunglasses and some wool shirts and I should be good to go?

Thanks,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Madddman>
posted
John;Take a look at Northern outtfitter's site and think about it.I have a set I bought for my Alberta hunt several years back and it kills me that I haven't worn it since.It's too warm for even the coldest NY days.
This stuff will keep you warm,no doubt.Without layering,nothing underneath but poly underwear.I bought it cause I shiver on 40 degree days and the thought of Alberta at the end of Nov. had me terrified.
E-mail me if your interested,I'll give ya a good deal.I'm pretty sure it's size large bibs and jacket and I have the white windbreaker pants and jacket,plus the mittens.
Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Madddman,

Thanks for the opportunity, I will certainly email you.

JohnTheGreek

[This message has been edited by JohnTheGreek (edited 01-18-2002).]