New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose or Mt. Goat???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A couple of months ago a booking agent I've used in the past sent me some info on North America hunts, then last night he call and ask if anything interested me. I told him I'd been giving a lot of thought to either a Moose or Mt. Goat hunt for the fall of '06 but couldn't decide which I wanted the most. In fact, I did like to do both, but don't know if I'll have the vacation time, 10 days plus. Also I'm not sure I can afford both in one trip, $9k plus...... So we kicked around some ideas. But I'm still not sure which way I want to go, or can afford. The one thing I keep thinking is I'm not getting any younger and even thought I'm in the best shape I've been in the last 5 years, how long will I be able to keep this up. So Mt. Goat, while I'm still able, is high on the list. Then again, I've wanted a Moose for some time. In fact, its a long story, but in '97 I paid for 1/2 a moose hunt, I just didn't get to go on it. The day I was to leave LaRita was having emergency surgery and I didn't get to go. Then this year I applied for a New Brunswick Moose tag but didn't draw.

So anyway here is some of the hunts we kicked around.Moose:
1) He has a hunt in British Columbia hunt for $6k, with moose in the mid 50s. The size is right and the price aint too bad.
2) A hunt in Albert for $3k for moose in the mid 40s. The price is affordable, the size aint bad but...
3) He has a combo moose/caribou hunt in Newfoundland for $4.5k. The price is great for two trophies but the moose is in the mid 30s to 40".

Goat: He has couple of hunts in BC in the $5k to $6k range.

Moose/Goat combo: He does have a combo hunt in BC. The cost is $5k for the Goat hunt with a $3K if you take a moose. I know in the long run this will be the most affordable, compared to two hunts and it does give me a chance a both animals. But the cost, at $9.5k by the time everyting is said and done, may be more than I can afford next year. Also its a 10 day hunt and I'm not sure I can put that many vacation days together next year. So whats your thoughts??

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark
I would go for the goat hunt first.
I would find out if the goat/moose combo was mostly a goat hunt or mostly a moose hunt. If goat you might do it and only shoot a moose if it is a really BIG ONE, ASSUMING YOU COULD STRETCH YOUR BUDGET.

I would probably just pick the best goat hunt, then do a moose hunt next year.
You might also if he had a goat/black bear hunt.... That is what I would do... but I love to hunt bears. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man prices have gone up. Eeker I did a 15 day goat hunt in BC for $2250, in 94. And you could shoot moose, and caribou for no extra fee!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
If you are physically fit enough for either hunt do the goat hunt first. That is supposed to be the most physically demanding hunt of the two.

It won't get easier when your older Wink

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the particular hunts you are considering but Ive read some nightmare stories about Ak. Moose hunts as well, (meaning very physically demanding). Perhaps some more research in that reguard would be in order.

You could also shop around for a better deal on a combo hunt. This place on the internet called "Accurate Reloading" might be a good place to do it. Big Grin Wink

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing you have to consider is season. Lots of outfitters offer goat pretty much throughout the fall season. But if you are looking to mount your goat, you should think about going fairly late in the season - the hair will get progressively better. Moose is largely a rut hunt in most places - some time in mid-Sep to mid-Oct. October is about as early as you should consider for the goat, preferably later.

Alaska has some very late coastal goat hunting. Supposedly the hair gets pretty spectacular on those goats, even though they will probably not be white when you take them.

Other than that, most any trip to Canada or Alaska has the potential to be the trip of a lifetime. I particularly like horseback hunts, but stay away from backpack trips - they are for better men than myself. Eeker

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yeah, ditto the RM goat. You can hunt moose when you are old & slow, but goat hunting canbe very demanding.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I evaluate hunts, I don't really consider the trophy fees unless i am comparing hunts. Likewise, i don't really worry about flying the meat home. Those problems are like paying too much taxes: you don't like it, but it is better than the alternatives.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
...but don't know if I'll have the vacation time, 10 days plus. Also I'm not sure I can afford both in one trip, $9k plus...

But the cost, at $9.5k by the time everyting is said and done, may be more than I can afford next year.Also its a 10 day hunt and I'm not sure I can put that many vacation days together next year. So whats your thoughts??

Mark, I certainly understand your situation. Wouldn't it be nice if we all had a crystal ball to predict what we could and could not do a year in advance. But, that is the web we weave as hunters I guess.

IMO, you've pretty much answered your own questions. You have doubts in several areas, so I will concur with the previous posts and say, go for the goat hunt only. Combo hunts seem to be a bit tricky, as you are truly after 1 animal but the 2nd species seems to be "incidental."

Don't push your hunting budget. Make a commitment now and set your mind at ease. I would bet that you can always add a second species between now and next fall (of 2006) if you learned that you are indeed able to afford the combo hunt.

As far as time off work, you mentioned that you are uncertain if you would be able to. What would it take to find out for sure? Can you not put in for time off a year in advance and get a commitment from your employer? Or are you self employed?

Regardless, I still say go for the goat. You've already justified the reasons for it.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
You may be comparing apples and oranges. The Newfoundland moose are Eastern Canadian and are considerably smaller in horn than the moose you'll hunt in Alaska. The moose in BC would also be larger. Not surprisingly, these larger moose are generally more expensive to hunt. In any case, it sounds like the combination BC hunt would be a good deal if you could afford it in any manner.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
You might also if he had a goat/black bear hunt.... That is what I would do... but I love to hunt bears. Big Grin

That is an idea, I enjoy bear hunting also. Then again it does add to the confusion because when it comes to bears I'd like a good color phase one, or two Big Grin. Wonder if you could do a combo moose/bear hunt in Alberta?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check around a bit more - there's lots of outfits offering different packages. I've always like combination hunts because it does bring the cost per animal down and there's always something to hunt. Remember each agent has different outfits he books for. but check out the outfit too cause there are lots of bums out there

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'd give a nod toward Goats as you state we're all not getting any younger.

Posts: 77 | Location: Hopefully out in the hills somewhere | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the goat hunt is physically tougher...unless you are packing out your own moose.

Posts: 151 | Location: MI | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote