New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best coffee?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
I vote for the Kona as well while on the Big Island. Givalia makes some good coffee. The two best cups I've had though were some of the strong stuff in Morocco, and at 9,000 feet boiled on a fire in a granet pot after 14 hours of packing out a big bull elk. The beer when we got back to the cabin was the best beer I've ever had as well. I don't remember the brands of coffee, but the beer was Old Milwaukee.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<hornblower>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Russell E. Taylor:
I hate to be simplistic here, but, um... does this reference have anything to do with R�desheim? I try to go there at least once every time I have to pull duty at Wiesbaden. There's a little wine shop there, run by some Japanese folks, that I always try to frequent. It's really a quaint little town, right along the Rhine, and there are quite a few nice restaurants there, too. I love going there for dinner, when I have time and transportation.

Russ

Yes , Russ , the R�desheimer Kaffee has something to do with R�desheim . As for me , I do not appreciate the " Drosselgasse " , this typical tourist area there . As I said in a previous reply in the " Best beer " thread , drive 50 km to the Nahe valley and try the wines there , grown on heavy clay soil . Go to one of the lovely little villages like Bad M�nster and try the wines of Helmut Voigtl�nder , a keen hunter and very good wine maker . His wines grow at the foot of the Rotenfels , the highest and steepest rock orth of the Alpes .
I wonder , when you stay in Germany exactly , as we only live 100 km from Wiesbaden .
Please feel invited to visit us , if you want to . Do you know , that your Hatary question made me look in these forums here . I also post on a different forum and you gave me this hint , saying , you hop Swamp does not mind !
Enjoy your stay in Germany ! Heike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably the best brew I can remember came from the huge urns at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, in 1973. There were few pleasures during recruit training, but I sure looked forward to that eye-opener at O-Dark-Thirty every morning.

BigIron

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
After living abroad for so long wher filter coffee is a luxury I have aquired a taste for Nescafe Classic instant hot or cold. I know it will turn the stomachs of most but that is what I like

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
from living abroad so long where filter coffee is a luxury I like Nescafe Classic hot or cold. I know it will make stomachs turn but that is what I like

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Sheister:

This is all quite interesting, regarding the RSA/"coffee sucks" situation. I'm hoping my stocks will provide me with a safari in 2005 -- and after all the posts, here, I "KNOW" I'm bringing my own coffee. I take it that it's much worse than three-day-old Army coffee???

Heike:

I'm leaving on 16 Mar 2002 and will return 6 Apr 2002. He was a fool, whomever cut my orders, because he gave me a rental car. The fool. Turning me loose on the Autobahn? "ME???" Again I say, "fool." Especially since everyone in my unit knows how I drive. On the other hand, I probably won't be getting a Porsche Carrera GT, either. (Probably a good thing -- for the Germans.) Pity. That car... on the Autobahn... with ME driving... and The Rolling Stones' "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" playing on the CD player. As the MasterCard commercial says... "priceless."

If I get a chance, I'll check out some of the wine places you mentioned, Heike. Thanks.

Russ

------------------
"Out here, 'due process' is a bullet!" -- John Wayne, "The Green Berets"

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my money, fresh-ground Guatemalan Antigua. Nothing else comes close.

Tom

Posts: 14595 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote