New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best coffee?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I myself like Dallmayr a lot, which is made in Germany. Made in a press-pot its one of the best things on earth..

Sort of like beer, everyone has a favorite...

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Buell I'll send you some fine Cajun coffee If you send me some of that Dallmayr coffee.

Doug Humbarger

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Peet's coffee in Berkley http://www.peets.com/, one of few things good coming out of that part of world. I'm trying to recall the best beans I've had from them, and as I recall they were either Tanzanian or Sumatran. As I recall, Tanzanian has been tough to get due to political instability, but it is an outstanding bean. Good coffee is served strong and black.

Now when we talk international, I really like Turkish coffee, and Thai ice coffee.

[This message has been edited by Paul H (edited 03-07-2002).]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear Claw-

What is Cajun coffee?

I'd be willing to try some out...

you can email me at scoutsniper36@hotmail.com

YES ALL COFFEE SHOULD BE DRANK BLACK!!!!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Buell,

Best cup of coffee I've ever had was in Zimbabwe.

It was very early in the morning by the fireside.

After I have finished my first cup, and went for another, I picked the coffee jar to see what make it was.

It was made in Zimbabwe, and very clearly marked:

30% REAL COFFEE!

I have no idea what was the other 70%, but it sure tasted great then.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
French Market Coffee from New Orleans.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Venizelos (Greek Prime minister in the early 20th century) brand Greek Coffee.
It is ground up into a fine dust and you boil it in a small copper pot on top of a stove with one heaping teaspoon per small demi-tasse cup of water. The whole muddy mess is then pored into the cups. All of the coffee mud settles to the bottom of the cup and you drink down to the top of the mud.
You must then turn the cup upside-down on the saucer and wait for the coffee grounds to dry on the sides of your cup and make a cool pattern. This pattern is then read by the nearest little old lady who will, undoubtedly, be able to see your fortune in the grounds.
Since I am usually on vacation when I have my grounds read, my most common fortune is, "you will be going on a long trip" . . . Thanks grandma.

Enjoy,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
Commercially, Tim Horton's; otherwise the best cup(s) of coffee I've ever had was in Mazanillo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best coffee I've ever had was COMMUNITY COFFEE. I was introduced to it in Louisiana on a hog hunt. I now have it shipped up in 10lb quanities.

quote:
Originally posted by Buell:
I myself like Dallmayr a lot, which is made in Germany. Made in a press-pot its one of the best things on earth..

Posts: 134 | Location: Kirkland, Illinois | Registered: 09 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Jagermeister>
posted
Kaffe, the essence of life, no? I swear I have such an addiction to the stuff (more like, that I'm just used to drinking lots of it) I will not be able to make it through the day without feeling horrible, if I don't get some(an more than one cup is necessary).

I like some of the german Dallmayr my friend gets, also Gevalia is nice.

Greek, I have a Czechoslovakian aunt (well, nowadays you might call her Slovakian, since that's where she's from) but she makes kaffe the same way. I think they call that Turkish-style. Very hearty once the grain settles. But the real rugged ones eat the sludge at the bottom, at the end!!

Never settle for bad kaffe folks. Put down the extra money and treat yourselves right.

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
My favorite coffee comes straight from Colombia, La Bastilla.....A light brown coffee, that is at its best served fresh with a press-pot. SMOOOOTH........ I think I'll have cup now.

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed!

You have some experience with Swedish coffee don�t you?.......

Here in Sweden we like the coffee really strong! On my last trip to US with some shooting buddies I brougth a kilo of the Swedish prime brand Gevalia. We offered our American friends a cup every now and then. They got a funny look on their faces and started to talk about paint stripper, battery acid and stuff like that

Jagermiester is absolutley spot on! Get a good coffee and don�t care if it�s a bit more expencive. I rather have one good cup of coffee a day than five so so tasting cups!

Stefan.

[This message has been edited by Stefan (edited 03-07-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Stefan (edited 03-07-2002).]

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Deafdog>
posted
Hi Buell
Organically grown Arabica Coffee.
Grown locally in my area and in my
garden.
Light roast.
However I have to admit I prefer Tea.
Madura Tea,Daintree Tea and Nerada Tea all Australian teas with Madura local to me.
I drink both black and green tea.
Regards
Deafdog

------------------
deafdog@turboweb.net.au
http://deafdog.turboweb.net.au

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Actually, my coffee is the best.

I custom blend my own and grind it so it is "just so". Life does not begin in the morning until I have that first cup. I will be taking my blend with me when I return to Africa this year as they DO NOT know how to make a good brew there!

------------------
~Ann
Orion Trophy Expeditions

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Saeed and I and a bunch of other guys take offese to that comment!

Whatever it is we drink there (Ricoffee? I think, I can't remember) is the best stuff in the world. SO it is 30% coffee, who cares!

Bring it to the states and you might not be able to pass it off as coffee, but there....my, my I feel like I am there right now.

I think it is the anticipation of the hunt that is missing in all other coffees. Put some of that in a can of Community coffee and I will be even more addicted!

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geeeeezzzzzz, what a bunch of pantywaist. "Oh my gawd, we have to go back. I forgot my press pot." Have I become involved with a "Fraiser" show? ROFLMAO!!
Its pretty obvious that none of you cliff dwellers have drank coffe made in a speckled pot boiled on a camp fire. Without a strainer so you have to kinda keep your teeth clenched to strain out any grounds that got served up. Its cold. A nice tracking snow had fallen during the night. You can reach up and grab a star if you choose. You're camped at @7000 feet and you're waiting for it to get light enough for you to get up to the high ground without taking a stick in the eye. You're hunkered up to the fire, eating a bacon and egg sandwich, your second. Up on top, an elk squals. Another answers from acrost the draw. You look at your buddies and grin and take another scalding sip of the best damn coffe in the world.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
beemanbeme-

You should try taking coffee with you that is turkish ground so you dont get the grits in your mouth... If you are a serious coffee drinker you would be prepared to make coffee anywhere, and great tasting coffee at that!

I just ordered some Gevalia coffee. They have good programs on their site for coffee. I got a thermos style coffee maker and 1lb of their brew for 14.95, but then you have to pay for 8 lbs of coffee split over 4 months. There isnt an obligation to continue for the 4 months, however. I will do that just because I drink a lot of coffee anyways.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Segafredo Zanetti (Italy)

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beemanbeme,

My family used to be in the livestock business in Southeastern Utah and I still have a couple of the BIG speckled pots that were used over the fires in the sheep camps. These things have a base diameter of probably about 16 inches and are abot 2 feet high! These folks were anything but "pantywaists".

Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Ah...the first time...I ever had fresh ground real coffee. About 1982 at the Post Office Mall downtown Anchorage before it was taken over by Kalifornians (no offense to those in the Occupied Territories of Kalifornia).
I walked in the entrance and the richest scent of coffe, followed it until I found the Perfect Cupboard. A tiny little place. I went in and about fell over when I saw the prices. $9.00 a pound!? Remember this was in '82 dollars. Little German fellow asked me if I had ever had real coffee? Sure, Folgers. He got a look on his face, pulled out a little hand grinder and told me about real coffee as he ground up just enough for one cup. MAN that was good tasting coffee. Since then I have never had store bought coffee if I was able to help it.
Ditto what everyone sez, don't skimp on one of the few affordable luxurys in life.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Mr_Magoo>
posted
Stewarts Coffee. Period. Nothing else comes close to the smoooooooth flavor of the private blend columbian.

http://www.stewarts.com/

Enjoy if you dare.

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I'll look for some of the German coffee while I'm over there.

On a side note... one of the cheerier moments of my very, very, VERY early life, was when, as a child, Mom would let me grind the coffee beans she bought at the A&P store. For me, as a little kid, that was the coolest thing in the whole wide world! I don't have a lot of happy memories from childhood, but that's definitely one of the few.

Russ

------------------
"Out here, 'due process' is a bullet!" -- John Wayne, "The Green Berets"

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Red Green>
posted
The best cup of coffee I've ever had was made from green coffee beans my brother roasted. Can't remember where they were grown, but it was very good.

www.sweetmarias.com

[This message has been edited by Red Green (edited 03-08-2002).]

<MontanaMarine>
posted
PAWildcatter,

I'll second your choice. Jamaican Blue Mountain.

But I admit to enjoying the hell out of C-rat and MRE coffee on more than a few occasions(imagine that!?!?). I guess it can be relative to the environment. MM

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red Green:
The best cup of coffee I've ever had was made from green coffee beans my brother roasted. Can't remember where they were grown, but it was very good.

www.sweetmarias.com

[This message has been edited by Red Green (edited 03-08-2002).]

You hadn't oughta posted that link! I think I've found a new hobby. Also have this years Mother's day present figured out, a home roaster and sample pack of beans.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In a report by the Consumer Report, a panel selected Folgers 100% Columbian. Thats what we drink. In a percolator at home and out of a big speckled pot in camp.
BTW, I feel pretty safe in saying they weren't brewing Turkish reddy wet in those big speckled pots on that Utah round up. More than likely, Arbuckles brewed strong enough to melt a branding iron.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
YOUR ALL WRONG!!

IT'S MOM'S!!

------------------
Don't tread on me!
Pennsylvania Frank

Posts: 1975 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I heartily agree PA Frank. The absolute best coffee in the whole world is the coffee my Mom makes. When I go to visit I try to get there early while the pot is on. The worst coffee??? Thats easy. The supposed coffee that is brewed in the Officers Dining Room of any Texas Department of Criminal Justice unit. It sort of resembles turpentine.

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
For those adventurous enough to try roasting at home, here is another link:

http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/

It is located in Chicago so it is a little closer than Sweet Marias might be to some people, but they charge more too. Also you can taste the samples there so you know what you are getting. A thing that I have noticed with these home roasted coffees is that the beans seem to have 3 components, the initial taste, the body, and the aftertaste. The beans usually don't have all the components that is why there are so many blends out there.

If you try roasting your own, I have had good luck using a hot air popcorn popper and I do it outside too. It makes not really much smoke but creates a lot of fumes and they don't smell too coffee-like when the beans are green. It is interesting to see though, as during the roasting process the beans "pop" or crackle, almost like popcorn! Ive tried all other sorts of roasting methods- wok, pan in the oven, cast iron pan on the stove, and the popper works pretty good for me.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Bl� Mocca Toscana - black as tar,
or Italian Espresso Amaro.

(http://www.kraftfoodsnordic.com/KFM/Web.nsf/bla_mocca.htm)

Drinking bad coffee is some sort of self-torture.

Fritz

------------------
...the mark of the hunter is the ability to get close.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<hornblower>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Buell:

Dallmayr or Onko or Jacobs make a good basis , the rest is some good cognac , some whipped cream on top , decorated with chocolate to make it a R�desheimer coffee !
Similar stuff is Pharis�er in Northern Germany or Irish coffee . It�s not the coffee as such , that makes it interesting , but the rest of the ingredients hidden in it !

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wendell I think you and Saeed have seasoned your food with too much gun powder over the years . That Riccoffee (aaaccckkkkKK!) is nasty stuff, wonder where they lost the other 70%? Even a Rooibos was better than Riccoffe!!!

There will be a couple bricks of Folgers in my luggage this summer.

------------------
~Ann
Orion Trophy Expeditions

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a small recipe for all of you (this is meant for *after* a long cold day of hunting:

- Take one large cup
- Put one (hard) lump of sugar in the cup
- Pour BLACK coffee until you can't see the sugar
- Pour vodka (or best of all, Swedish "Br�nnvin") until you can see the lump again
- Drink and enjoy

[This message has been edited by Wachtel (edited 03-08-2002).]

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wachtel:
Here's a small recipe for all of you (this is meant for *after* a long cold day of hunting:

- Take one large cup
- Put one (hard) lump of sugar in the cup
- Pour BLACK coffee until you can't see the sugar
- Pour vodka (or best of all, Swedish "Br�nnvin") until you can see the lump again
- Drink and enjoy

[This message has been edited by Wachtel (edited 03-08-2002).]

My favorite way to drink Vodka is Absolute out of the freezer in a shot glass. But I just may have to try some Swedish coffee on our next hunt

<Red Green>
posted
Paul H,

Roasting your own beans is actually very easy to do. I rely on my brother, so I've not had to make the investment. A little trial and error, and you can make some wonderful coffee. What's nice about it is that green beans have a long shelf life, so you can have a stash of different kinds of beans and have a different cup of coffee each day of the week because you can roast only what you'll use the next day. You can also experiment and make your own blends. City roast the same beans one day, espresso roast the following. Same beans, different taste. Totally up to you and what you like.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's colder than a well-digger's butt and it's raining when you wake up and look out the tent from your toasty sleeping bag...staring at the coffee pot just out of reach.....the Captain of the Swedish Bikini
Team pours a cup and brings it into the tent for you while you stay warm in the sleeping bag....the best coffee in the world.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
fla3006:

I visited my friend few days ago. He made cup of coffee for me. I tasted it, used to some smacks and bad smell of cheap coffee, but now nothing wrong, so I tasted it again and it was perfect. I told him, this coffee is really god, you used filtrated water or so ? No, it is Segafredo Zanetti.

This friend is now on holydays in San Paulo, instructed to bring back some good coffee, what sort do you recommend (I will email it to them) ?

Posts: 2108 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hornblower:
... decorated with chocolate to make it a R�desheimer coffee !

I hate to be simplistic here, but, um... does this reference have anything to do with R�desheim? I try to go there at least once every time I have to pull duty at Wiesbaden. There's a little wine shop there, run by some Japanese folks, that I always try to frequent. It's really a quaint little town, right along the Rhine, and there are quite a few nice restaurants there, too. I love going there for dinner, when I have time and transportation.

Russ

------------------
"Out here, 'due process' is a bullet!" -- John Wayne, "The Green Berets"

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best coffee I ever had was some fresh Kona my buddy brought back from a vacation trip to Hawaii. Not the crap they send over to the mainland, either. This was the good stuff, grown up on the sides of the volcanoes and so rich it is like dark chocolate and as smooth as silk. Hard as I tried, I couldn't talk him out of more than a few ounces of beans to grind.
That coffee would almost be worth a trip there just to get some GOOD beans.

My second favorite coffee is Sumatran closely followed by Tanzanian, when I can get it here. However, the roast makes all the difference with Tanzanian, IMHO.

Anne is right about one thing, they don't know how to make coffee in RSA. I don't know what that instant stuff was that they claimed was coffee on the counter of the lodge each morning, but it sure wasn't coffee! I'm pretty sure it didn't even start out as beans. A couple of mornings there, I could have sworn it was ground from the droppings of whatever was passing by in the night. And that is about the nicest thing I can say about it. I will probably bring some good coffee with me next time and a press, but I'm afraid I'll spoil the PH's in camp forever!
Think that would make a good tip for my PH or would it be torture? - Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote