New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back from Montana WOW
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just returned from my mule deer hunt in Montana, successful. I learned alot while I was there, I also have a new respect for you long range shooters. I learned a little bit about wind at extended ranges(for me).
We left camp on the first day and spotted the buck I eventually took about 3 miles away. I didn't get a good look at his antlers but my guide said he was a shooter. We had conversations the night prior on what I would shoot and what I wouldn't on the first day. So the stalk was on, the buck was feeding and moving into the wind with about 8 does. We used the broken terrain to get to about 420 yds before we ran out of cover. I wanted to get closer and belly crawled to about 360 before I ran out of sage. My guide, after watching me shoot the night prior,wanted me to take the shot. I wasn't concerned about the distance, I had a drop chart made and felt confident I could kill this buck ON A CALM DAY. The winds were strong and gusting stronger from right to left. I finally thought I would take the shot but I would try for a neck shot, so I would kill or miss cleanly. I missed cleanly, my elevation was perfect but I misjudged the wind. Clean miss by 4 inches. Buck runs towards Canada. I tell guide that we need to get closer in this wind, guide then tells me he is an archery hunter and doesn't have the best grasp on ballistics. His advice at the shot was to hold 2" into the wind. I held almost two mils.
Stalk resumes and after jumping the buck a couple times, thanks to the does, we lost him. We are now ahead of the buck, wind not in our favor and I am thinking we are screwed.We ate a snack and the guide asked me what I wanted to do. I suggested we head diagonally back to where we started and try again. It was quite a hike and we came around the back side of a hill to start glassing, about 50 yds to my left the buck jumps up from a low spot and takes off like a house a fire. Well at least we found him. We kept the glasses on him and he stopped about a mile and a half away. The stalk was on again, we were able to take advantage of the wind and terrain and as we were belly crawling up a ridge, we spooked a smaller buck and doe that we didn't know were there. All deer head out of there and fast. We watch as the buck we are looking for lays down about a mile away on a shelf overlooking a large bowl that resembles the lunar landscape. After evaluating our options and the time of day we decide to stalk from a direction that is out of the bucks vision but not the does. We are crawling along and the does bust us. They are dancing around trying to make up their minds on which way to go. If they go left the buck will be gone with them, if they go to the right we might be OK. We are now behind a little knoll and we should be able to get in postion for a shot. After what seemed like a half hour theyt went to the right. We HIGH FIVED and crawled the last 400 yds.We came to a lip near the shelf he was laying on, he was 210 yds away and his ass was towards me, he was looking back towards us. I was nervous, the guide says kill him NOW as he looks like he is going to high tail it out of there. I am winded, excited and shaking like a leaf. I tell guide, "Give me a minute to get my shit together", I finally eased up and got on him prone, I aimed where the wrinkle was in the closest shoulder and touched her off. The 180 gr SGK hit him at the point of aim and exited the front of his chest, he ran about 75 yds and piled up. I think I was more relieved at that moment than anything. The stalk started st 0730 and ended at 1430.I am a computer idiot or I would post a picture. He is a 3 X 3 about 23" wide and pretty tall. I am hooked, I will chase mule deer like this every year I can. Thanks for all the help and advice you guys gave me the last year.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congratulations are certainly in order. Now you can enjoy the fruits of your labor for the rest of the winter...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Chain, you have a PM

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Chasing mulies is a lot of fun.

For a look into the windage thing take a gander at a Boone and Crocket reticle on a scope (I think Leupy). The bottom two "bars" extend to where you need to hold in a 10mph wind at various yardages. Amazing how much you have to adjust for windage.

Pictures, darn you, pictures

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only way to get good at windage is to practice. A fancy reticle isn't going to do it. Might help, but there is no substitute for practice, as you aptly point out in your post.

Congrats on the deer.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Chain's Buck

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the picture. I am on the right, guide on left. This picture was taken at camp on the morning after. There were no bushes where we were. I had the time of my life.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck! Sounds like you had a good time and a very good guide. I'm not sure why but he sounds like the sort of guy I would hunt with.

I too shot a 3x3 mulie. Not as big, not as much mass, but I had 15 minutes of hunting left in Nebraska where this a fairly respectable buck.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The title of your post is accurate - WOW. Nice deer. Sounds like a hunt you will remember, which to me is what defines a trophy. Can I ask who your outfitter was?

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chain:
I just returned from my mule deer hunt in Montana, successful. I learned alot while I was there, I also have a new respect for you long range shooters. I learned a little bit about wind at extended ranges(for me).
We left camp on the first day and spotted the buck I eventually took about 3 miles away. I didn't get a good look at his antlers but my guide said he was a shooter. We had conversations the night prior on what I would shoot and what I wouldn't on the first day. So the stalk was on, the buck was feeding and moving into the wind with about 8 does. We used the broken terrain to get to about 420 yds before we ran out of cover. I wanted to get closer and belly crawled to about 360 before I ran out of sage. My guide, after watching me shoot the night prior,wanted me to take the shot. I wasn't concerned about the distance, I had a drop chart made and felt confident I could kill this buck ON A CALM DAY. The winds were strong and gusting stronger from right to left. I finally thought I would take the shot but I would try for a neck shot, so I would kill or miss cleanly. I missed cleanly, my elevation was perfect but I misjudged the wind. Clean miss by 4 inches. Buck runs towards Canada. I tell guide that we need to get closer in this wind, guide then tells me he is an archery hunter and doesn't have the best grasp on ballistics. His advice at the shot was to hold 2" into the wind. I held almost two mils.
Stalk resumes and after jumping the buck a couple times, thanks to the does, we lost him. We are now ahead of the buck, wind not in our favor and I am thinking we are screwed.We ate a snack and the guide asked me what I wanted to do. I suggested we head diagonally back to where we started and try again. It was quite a hike and we came around the back side of a hill to start glassing, about 50 yds to my left the buck jumps up from a low spot and takes off like a house a fire. Well at least we found him. We kept the glasses on him and he stopped about a mile and a half away. The stalk was on again, we were able to take advantage of the wind and terrain and as we were belly crawling up a ridge, we spooked a smaller buck and doe that we didn't know were there. All deer head out of there and fast. We watch as the buck we are looking for lays down about a mile away on a shelf overlooking a large bowl that resembles the lunar landscape. After evaluating our options and the time of day we decide to stalk from a direction that is out of the bucks vision but not the does. We are crawling along and the does bust us. They are dancing around trying to make up their minds on which way to go. If they go left the buck will be gone with them, if they go to the right we might be OK. We are now behind a little knoll and we should be able to get in postion for a shot. After what seemed like a half hour theyt went to the right. We HIGH FIVED and crawled the last 400 yds.We came to a lip near the shelf he was laying on, he was 210 yds away and his ass was towards me, he was looking back towards us. I was nervous, the guide says kill him NOW as he looks like he is going to high tail it out of there. I am winded, excited and shaking like a leaf. I tell guide, "Give me a minute to get my shit together", I finally eased up and got on him prone, I aimed where the wrinkle was in the closest shoulder and touched her off. The 180 gr SGK hit him at the point of aim and exited the front of his chest, he ran about 75 yds and piled up. I think I was more relieved at that moment than anything. The stalk started st 0730 and ended at 1430.I am a computer idiot or I would post a picture. He is a 3 X 3 about 23" wide and pretty tall. I am hooked, I will chase mule deer like this every year I can. Thanks for all the help and advice you guys gave me the last year.
Nice buck I guess you've learned all about their gate called stotting they are hard as hell to hit when they take off.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you mean "stotting". No?
Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Brent, I can't see your buck though only part of it. Is it my computer?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chain, if you can see part of the picture, the rest is probably still downloading - it is not a great picture unfortunately, but the best that could be had with really low light conditions.

Brent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent:
I think you mean "stotting". No?
Brent
Right my mistake!

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Chain, a hearty well done to you. Ain't life grand? The mulies are very adictive aren't they. Best hunting on earth some days. Total satisfaction and real hunt in the process.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chain:
I just returned from my mule deer hunt in Montana, successful.
I am hooked, I will chase mule deer like this every year I can. Thanks for all the help and advice you guys gave me the last year.

Nice day at the office!
I go when I can, not as often as I'd like.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Chain, Congratulations on a fine, very memorable Hunt. Good story.

Be real careful with that Buck, some of the best "experts" on the Board tell us the Sierra GameKing bullets just won't kill a thing. Sure don't want you all to have it jump up and gore you. rotflmo

Hey Brent, Congratulations on the kill. You did just fine for 15min of Hunting time to go.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! beer

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote