New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle/Cartridge Selection Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all. I recently started reloading ammo, and that has led me to shoot more. Now that I'm shooting more, I'm seriously considering starting to hunt again. Actually, I guess you could say that I'm a complete noob at hunting game that doesn't shoot back. I haven't hunted since I was a kid and back then I just did what my father told me to do. Back then we hunted with black powder muzzle loaders. I wouldn't mind hunting with black powder again, but I'd also like to buy a high powered sporting rifle, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on what a good cartridge would be for my situation, and also some recommendations on rifles to fire that cartridge.

I guess cartridge selection really depends on the situation, so let me start out with what I'd like to accomplish. I know next to nothing about Arizona hunting license procedures, but I know it's lottery style for many game types so I'll have to take what I can get. With that in mind I'd like a caliber that can scale from javelina up to elk. I'm not a rich man, so I'd rather not have to buy separate rifles for each application. I was thinking something along the lines of .338 Win Mag, .338 Rem Ultra Mag, or maybe even good old 30-06. I've been looking at the ballistic charts given by various .338 Win Mag/.338 Rem Ultra Mag dealers and I can't really see a difference in these rounds. Is there even a difference between these rounds? Somehow I've got it into my head that .338 Win Mag is the round that will "scale down" to javelina and with a heavier load "scale up" to elk. Actually, for some inexplicable reason I've got my heart set on .338 Win Mag even though I can't really see a lick of difference between that and .338 Rem Ultra not to mention the fact that 30-06 will do the job is likely much cheaper. Is this completely irrational? Maybe it's just all the articles I've read that drool over the .338 Win Mag. Are there compelling reasons to choose the Win Mag over .338 Rem Ultra or 30-06 for what I need it to do?

As far as rifle selection goes, I don't really know much about this particular genre of firearms. The rifles I've usually carried are more of the assault or fully automatic kind. I'm a fairly big guy, so I'm not overly concerned about recoil. I'm a former Marine, so I'm not overly concerned with weight. Anything lighter than an M240G + 300 rnds of 7.62x51 would be fine by me. As I've mentioned before, I don't have money to burn, so I'd like to have a rifle that is less than $2000 or so when all is said and done. So far I've looked online at Sako (spelling?) 75's and 85s, Remington Model 700's and some Browning models. I like the looks of the Browning Hunter, the Remington XCR's. The Sako rifles distributed by Baretta seem to be a bit pricey. Most importantly I guess is that I want a common rifle, so that parts and accessories are highly available and not 'specialty' items.

What are your thoughts on the cartridge and rifle that would best fit my scenario?

Posts: 28 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get an 06 and go hunting... I'll cast my vote for a pre-64 Model 70.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidReed:
Get an 06 and go hunting... I'll cast my vote for a pre-64 Model 70.

Why pre-64? Are those just higher quality?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, in my opinion they are. They aren't the latest greatest but they work. And they work and quite well for an out of the box off of the shelf rifle. I think of them as a package of totality. Unless a particular rifle was jacked by a butcher they feed , chamber, go bang when you pull the trigger and extract with boring reliability. Every one I own or have shot is reasonably accurate as well.

Yes some rifles may be benchrest accurate while sacrificing some function or a some gunsmiths can build you a rifle that exceeds the function of a pre-64 but at what cost. Dollar for dollar, as a package, the pre-64 M70 is hard to beat.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Get a Tikka T3 in 7mm-08 or .308, highly accurate rifles and fairly low cost. I see em' for about $500 on Gunbroker.com.

I suggest those calibers because they're user friendly and easy to load for. They're also good killers.

Put a 2.5-8 Leupold on it in Talley mounts and go shoot the Hell out of it from all positions, at varying ranges, uphill, downhill, across a canyon, etc, etc.

Then buy a pair of high end binoculars, Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss, and spend a lot of time using them. Go birdwatching, girlwatching anything to train your eyes to really see.

quote:
I'd rather not have to buy separate rifles for each application.

Well that's just blasphemy. Big Grin

Most of us have sub-groups of rifles for every application within the original application.

one of us
posted Hide Post
well, a pre-64 m70 would be nice, but you might be waiting a long time or end up paying quite a bit for it.

if you want a great, all-around hunting rifle, get a .30/06 in the make and model that you like best. my own opinion is that you can't go worng with a CZ m550 (american model), but this is my opinion only. for me, they seem to offer the best balance of craftsmanship, accuracy and good looks.

other choices would be just as valid, both in cartridge and in the rifle. my own CZ is a 7x57 and i find it a joy for antelope and deer. i plan to hunt elk with it. other good choices include the .270, .308, .280 remington (this one is a real sleeper - all the great thngs about a rifle cartridge can be found here), 6.5x55mm...there really are too many to list.

skinner is not right when it comes to much, but he is right about the binoculars. i prefer scopes that go up to 9x, but nothing wrong with his suggestion there, either.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You say you are reloading and shooting more right now. What are you reloading for and shooting now?

If you are going to have one rifle, DavidReed has said a mouthful. You can pick up a damn fine Pre64 M70 Win shooter with a mid-line Leupold for less than $2000. I would suggest also, as has already been suggested, a 30-06. A 30-06 is about 20 times as much gun as you need for a javalina and with 180s or 220s will kill an elk.(or so I've heard. I have never killed an elk with anything but I understand that they are killed regularly with 30-06s). If you can lug around the armament and the ammo you listed then get a light rifle and save yourself for humping elk meat off the mountain.(although, again, never having killed an elk I don't know for sure but as I understand it, elk are large animals and they are much larger dead than they are alive.) Oh, and I don't have a Pre 64 M70 either but it's still good advice. I like 98 Mauser actions myself. I do have 6 30-06s. 4 - Springfields, 1 - Mauser and 1 - post 64 M70.

When you choose your rifle, if it does not have iron sights on it, have some put on. Scopes are delicate instruments and when they break they don't work well. If you don't have iron sights then you are through hunting.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You say you are reloading and shooting more right now.

actually, keeping this fact in mind, a good .308 might be just the ticket.

my rule of thumb is that if you hunt more than shoot, you should get a .30/06. if you shoot more than hunt, you should get a .308. the game will never know the difference, but those choices will be better suited for your applications.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alan R. McDaniel, Jr.:
You say you are reloading and shooting more right now. What are you reloading for and shooting now?

Right now I'm shooting & reloading .40 S&W & .45 ACP. I'm also shooting .303 British, and I'll be trying my hand at reloading the brass I have soon. I don't think the SMLE I have is suitable for hunting, only because I don't want to tear it up, or modify it. I know it's not a priceless collector's item, but the one I have is in extremely good shape for it's age, and I don't want to change that. Also, I'm not entirely confident in the terminal ballistics of the round, but that's only because I haven't heard anyone rant and rave about how awesome of an elk or bear slayer the .303 is, however I've read many good things about the 30-06 and the .338 WinMag in this area.

quote:

I'd rather not have to buy separate rifles for each application.
quote:

Well that's just blasphemy. Big Grin

Most of us have sub-groups of rifles for every application within the original application.

quote:

If you are going to have one rifle, DavidReed has said a mouthful.

Let me rephrase. Big Grin I'd love to buy separate rifles for each application. That will likely happen in the future. Right now I'd just like a rifle that is ready for a wide range of applications. The 30-06 M70 is beginning to look like the right tool for the job.

quote:

You can pick up a damn fine Pre64 M70 Win shooter with a mid-line Leupold for less than $2000. I would suggest also, as has already been suggested, a 30-06. A 30-06 is about 20 times as much gun as you need for a javalina and with 180s or 220s will kill an elk.(or so I've heard. I have never killed an elk with anything but I understand that they are killed regularly with 30-06s).

I've been looking on gun broker and I've found a couple that are looking really good.

quote:

If you can lug around the armament and the ammo you listed then get a light rifle and save yourself for humping elk meat off the mountain.(although, again, never having killed an elk I don't know for sure but as I understand it, elk are large animals and they are much larger dead than they are alive.)

Oh yeah. Excellent point, I hadn't really thought about that part.

quote:

When you choose your rifle, if it does not have iron sights on it, have some put on. Scopes are delicate instruments and when they break they don't work well. If you don't have iron sights then you are through hunting

I've never owned a rifle with a scope before, so I was already planning on making sure I had iron sights. Actually, I can only think of one occasion I've ever even used a scope. Does anyone hunt with just iron sights?

I think the first rifle I try out is going to be the .30-06 M70 as there seems to be a lot of good things being said about that rifle. I know I'd like to go out and grab the high speed/low drag, blow-straight-through-a-rhinoceros, ultra super magnum, however I guess I'd better learn how to hunt first.

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
If you weren't a reloader, I wouldn't suggest the caliber, but since you are, you should take a serious look at the 9.3x62mm. It has become my favorite all around caliber and is the easiest to reload for.

I don't own one, but I have read many posts and reviews touting the quality of CZ rifles. Here is a link to a nice looking and affordable one in 9.3x62.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=94229593

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're hunting with iron sights, it had better be a shotgun, or perhaps an extremely short-range rifle. Your ability to shoot accurately at longer distances will increase exponentially with a scope (and a suitable rest - bipods, etc.) and it would be a waste of cartridge capability not to use one. For example, a 30-06 is capable of making killing shots on game at well over 300 yards. Yet I doubt if you'd be able to place shots at that distance with enough precision to guarantee kill shots. Get the best 3-9 power variable that you can afford with the rifle, and you should be set for anything. JMHO

Oh, and BTW, I vote for the '06 too...

gd

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GD:
If you're hunting with iron sights, it had better be a shotgun, or perhaps an extremely short-range rifle. Your ability to shoot accurately at longer distances will increase exponentially with a scope (and a suitable rest - bipods, etc.) and it would be a waste of cartridge capability not to use one. For example, a 30-06 is capable of making killing shots on game at well over 300 yards. Yet I doubt if you'd be able to place shots at that distance with enough precision to guarantee kill shots. Get the best 3-9 power variable that you can afford with the rifle, and you should be set for anything. JMHO

Oh, and BTW, I vote for the '06 too...

gd

I'm fairly certain I've made shots longer than 250 yards on moving targets with iron sights before. However, a 30 round magazine, a nifty burst fire feature, and a target that is willing to stick around after being shot at probably had something to do with it. I can see the value of a scope when the killing has to be done in one shot, under pressure, and in a very short span of time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 30-06 is never a bad choice! a good bolt action such as ruger hawkeye or MK2, rem 700, or cz with a decent quality 3x9 scope will do everything you want in the united states and will last you and your children a lifetime.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
338 wm is a fine round indeed but to load it down? well a magnum should be a magnum.30-06 is a fine round but there are some of its off spring that do their job better.A 280 rem is hard to beat it will do what you want and be easier on your shoulder to boot.Put on a 3x9 scope and you can take care of buisness

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,
Welcome to the forum.
The Sako 75 are nice, I have 3, but since Berreta took them over customer service sucks.
My opinion after reading your post would be a Ruger MK11 stainless/synthetic in 30-06, topped with a Leupold VX-11 2-7, OR 3-9. you can put this together for around $1000. Get a trigger job done, Ruger triggers tend to be a little heavy.
There are a wide range of bullet weights and premium bullets for the 30-06. So you can load it to handle pretty much of anything your going after.
My .02, Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forget the elitist crap. Get a Remington CDL in 30-06. Easy to load for; store bought ammo every where. As accurate as anything you can buy. You will need to have the Rem trigger adjusted to a usable 3-3.5# and then you're ready to go hunting. Get a good piece of glass in the $500+ bracket. Again, don't get caught up in the elitist crap of " only this one or that one will do". Lotsa good scopes out there that don't require a second mortage to put on a rifle. Also, don't get caught up in the bigger is better craze. A good 3x9x40 scope will take you where you want to go. My go-to elk rifle wears a 1.5x5 scope.

Regarding the rifle and the scope, since you haven't any reconceived ideas, go to a big box sporting goods store and have them line up several of your chosen calibre on the counter, handle and mount each of them. One of them will whisper "take me home". I'd do the same with the scope. Look though several of the mid-priced ones. I think you'll find most of the alledged advantages you read about in here are mostly smoke, mirrors, and ego stroking. On a hunting scope, I see little reason to have an AO or other devises of that ilk.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of them will whisper "take me home".

this is true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with the other guys that recommend a pre-64, Mod. 70 in .30-06. Put a good quality scope on it, load up some premium 180 gr. bullets & go after your elk. I'm just prejudiced towards the pre-64 anyway.
My second choice would be a Cooper in .30-06. Never heard of one of them being inaccurate or giving a problem - unlike some of our more popular firearms on the market.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I've seen some good advice, some elitist advice and some plain old fashioned BS.
So let's keep this simple. As the late Col. Whelen once said, "The 30-06 is never a mistake." I agree 100 percent.
You can load up the 06 with bullets ranging from 100 gr. (actually even one of 93 gr.) all the way to 220 gr. (You may still be able to get a 250 gr. bullet, but why?) The only drawback with so many bullets weights is you'd have to resight the rifle in every time you changed weights. A bit of a PITA. I went the simple route and use two bullets. The 180 gr. Sierra Pro-hunter and the 180 gr. Nosler Partition. It was just a slight bit of good luck that both bullets shot to the same point of impact using the same powder charge.
You might try the same, or mayube choose something like the 165 gr.. I've thought about trying that weight with the Speer Hot-core as it has done very well in my .308 Win. If I can get either a 165 gr. Nosler partiton of Accubond to hit to the same POI, I might go that route for a while, although after 20 plus years of using the 180's, I hate to make change. Like Murphy says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
While Pre-64 Winchesters are nice guns, a really clean one can be pricey and even the Featherweights are not all that light weight.
A good alternative would be (GASP!) a J.C. Higgins Model 50. Yup, a real Sears and Roebuck gun. The stocks are a bit clubby, but there is enough wood that that can be cleaned up. The triggers are usually quite good. The best thing about them is they are genuine FN Mauser actions made in Belgium. The barrels are chrome lined and every one that I've shot has been quite accurate. They are a decent rifle as is, and if later on you wanted to go with a full blown custom, you'd have one of the best actions to work with. I've built several custom rifles on Mauser actions, some commercial and some military.
I see you are in AZ. If you're anywhere near Tucson, E-mail me and we can hook up and have a cup ot two.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
John, if you are coming to Lower Alabama anytime, give me a shout. You can try on for size everything in my collection, from bolt actions, to falling blocks to break actions to slide actions to.....

From .223 to .308 to .30/06 to .338 RUM to.....

Well, you can try them all, and see what you like.

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I'd skip a pre-64 M70.

Even the ones that are beat-to-shit command collector prices, and the ones that aren't are priced like historical artifacts.

I have no complaints about the design of a Wichester M70,
I have issues with the people who think they have stocks drilled and filled with gold and price them accordingly.

The "classic" M70 which is the re-introduced "pre-64" design
and generally are priced FAR lower than even a pretty beat-up pre-64, though you should proably avoid the last ones that were produced as quality suffered before the winchester NewHaven plant shut down.
(And honestly the quality issue was atleast a partial cause of the shut down)

a 30-06 will work on anything in North America except Griz.
Just don't fall for the line of BS spouted by the "heavy Bullet Mafia" anything that SHOULD be done with 30-cal can be done with a 180gr Nosler partition.

and if it can't or shouldn't be done with a 180gr bullet from a 30-06 you probably need a 338Mag..... or something bigger!

If you were only going to own two HUNTING rifles I can't think of a better pairing than a 30-06 and a 338WinMag

Frankly, if you must pare it down to one a 30-06.
A 30-06 really should be everyone's first bolt action
hunting rifle.

Winchester M70 or Rem700 depending on personal preference.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a commercial 98 mauser in 30-06,or a surplus one thats been polished up a little,(new bolt handle,adj trigger,drilled and tapped,new stock.)

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a M-70 or Mauser Custom rifle in 30-06, load it up with 180 or 200 gr. Noslers, I like the 200s best, and your set to go...I would opt for a 4X Leupold or a 1.5x5x, thats all the power you will ever need on an 06 IMO.....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42138 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also look at the CZ 550 a good 98 Mauser action with a great trigger. If your budget is $2K then there is a whole lot available. The Pre 64 is a wonderful rifle, I have one in 300 H&H, but it would not be my first choice as a daily hunting rifle. The 30.06 is a great round good at most all NA game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy the best you can afford.

2000.00 dollars should get you a very fine outfit.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a Ruger 06 with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 scope. You could probably get that for a $1000. If you are enjoying the gun and still want a 338, you can get the same combo in 338 and the two will use up your budgeted $2000. If a two gun battery interests you, I would probably make my lighter caliber a 270 or 25/06 simply for longer range shooting. Ruger offers a nice gun for the money and comes with scope mounts included. Buy your Zeiss from AR member Doug at Camera Lands demo list and you'll have a very nice combo.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Loof for a used remington 700 ADL or BDL in 30-06.

Pick up a Bausch & Lomb/Bushnell 3200 elite in 2x7 and you will be prepared to hunt anything on the planet other than brown bear and african dangerous game.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10133 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Since you mentioned being interested in a 338, there is a Ruger M77 338 in the classifieds now at a good price. (It is the 3rd gun in the ad)
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2711043/m/449103928

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents;
Put your money into a good scope and rings and save a little on the rifle.
The truth is; rifles: they all work. You may have to have a trigger job done and bed the barrel, but they all will shoot minute of critter.
Scopes: you get what you pay for. The difference between the performance of a low price scope and a high end one is huge. I may be a scope snob, but I believe that the bottem end of acceptable is leupold. If you can afford better buy better. Schmidt & Bender is IMHO the top end, if you can afford one, you will hunt longer than those who can't. The light gathering capability is that much better. Also don't skimp on bases and rings, if the scope won't stay tight you won't hit anything.
Finally, you cannot go wrong with a 3006. If you can only afford one gun, get a 3006.

my thoughts, they're worth what you paid for them.

Good hunting
TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're going to shoot a lot for the fun of it and only MAYBE going to hunt elk, I'd get a 7-08, a .308 or a .30-06.

I like Mike's suggestion above for a Remington 700 but I haven't tried their new triggers. The REASON Remington and Ruger have suddenly found religion instead of lawyers about their triggers is simple, the Savage accutrigger was eating their lunch. I'd suggest you consider a Savage in .308, .30-06, .300WSM, or .300 Win Mag (my personal favorite caliber in this class). I just found a deal on Gunbroker on a NIB Savage Classic with accutrigger and a decent walnut stock for $350, really hard to beat, spend about $300 to $600 on a scope and you'll be in good shape for less than half of your budget. The Tikka is a good gun too.

I have owned several of them and I think the admiration for the pre-64 Model 70s is mostly nostalgia, they don't handle gases from a blown case as well as the Savage or the Remington, they cost more (but they will retain that value more than likely) and they weigh more and, in general, they aren't as accurate although they certainly are normally accurate enough for hunting use.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forget the elitist crap. Get a Remington CDL in 30-06.

Yep, as others have suggested, a good Rem. 700, or Win. post '64 Mdl. 70, or Savage, or Browning Safari, or Ruger 77 (I prefer the old style), or FN Mauser, in .30-06, will take care of anything you're gonna hunt in Arizona... or most all the rest of the U.S.

Add a top quality 2x7 or 3x9 'scope and you're ready to hunt.

I have no idea how many people I know including one of my hunting partners, plus my brother, who've killed elk very, very satisfactorily, with a .30-06. My cousin, who has a pre-'64 Win. Featherweight .308 Win., has killed 22 bull elk, plus innumerable mule deer, a half dozen antelopes, two Black bears, and one Shiras bull moose, with his .308 Win. He uses factory ammo as he doesn't reload.

.30-06, .308 W., will do you just fine. Accuracy counts more than tiny, tiny differences in bullet diameter, at least on virtually all U.S. game.

Good luck.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingnut:
John, if you are coming to Lower Alabama anytime, give me a shout. You can try on for size everything in my collection, from bolt actions, to falling blocks to break actions to slide actions to.....

From .223 to .308 to .30/06 to .338 RUM to.....

Well, you can try them all, and see what you like.

I appreciate the offer, if I ever go to Alabama, I'll take you up on that.

I've read some really good ideas, and appreciate the help all of you have given me. At least when I go to buy a rifle I'll know makes and models to look for and what kinds of scopes to look at.

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderson:I think the first rifle I try out is going to be the .30-06 M70 as there seems to be a lot of good things being said about that rifle. I know I'd like to go out and grab the high speed/low drag, blow-straight-through-a-rhinoceros, ultra super magnum, however I guess I'd better learn how to hunt first.

I'll start with "I do hunt in Arizona". My first hunting rifle was a Ruger M77 Mk II in 30-06. Very accurate rifle right out of the box. Only drawback I have found with this particular rifle is the "lawyer trigger". I had my smith work over the trigger and it is perfect now... The newer Ruger Hawkeye is probably worth looking into... My second hunting rifle is one of those "ultra super magnums" in a Weatherby Accumark 338-378 Big Grin... I justified that purchase with the Mrs by saying I needed a more potent elk rifle then the 30-06 Roll Eyes... She believed it so off I went to buy one Big Grin... The '06 is quite sufficient for elk so there is no problems with that choice... If Ruger doesn't strike your fancy, there are plenty of companies to choose from that produce good "affordable" rifles like Remington, CZ or even Savage... Make a stop at Sportsman's and handle a few of them or Cabelas and Bass Pro if you're in the Phoenix area thumb... Top any of them off with either a Leupold VXIII or Zeiss Conquest both in a 3.5-10 or 3-9, you can't go wrong...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Cooper's Model 52. You could get one for about the same price as the Sako. Place a Zeiss 3X9 Conquest in Talley mounts and be happy for the rest of your life.
http://www.cooperfirearms.com/

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington is a great rifle but every one of you has never mentioned a Savage rifle! Want a sleeper that shoots way out of proportion to it's price, take a look at them.
No sense buying a collectors item like a pre 64 mod 70 for hunting.
Some of you just have too much money! Confused

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, it seems that everyone has offered an opinion, so I might as well do the same.

go to a good sized store with plenty of inventory. Tell them to show you 30-06's, 270's, & 308's. the 30-06 is a bit more versatile due to range of bullet weights. The 270 will kick less than the 06, & will shoot faster & flatter. The 308 will probably be the most accurate, & will feel lighter & more compact, due to it's short action construction. Unless your elk are a whole lot different than ours, they won't know which of the three you hit them with.

Gunwise, you'll see offerings from CZ, Tikka, remington, Ruger, Savage, Browning, Weatherby Vanguard, etc. If you get lucky, maybe you'll even see a new Winchester. Shoulder each gun, & cycle the action from your shoulder. One of them is going to feel real nice to you. That's the one to take home.

As far as scopes go, most guys end up with a 3X9; using the low end for hunting & the higher magnification for sighting in. A 1.5X5 or 2X7 is plenty for most big game situatins. Look at units in the $200 range such as Bushnell Elite 3200 or Nikon Buckmaster. Now switch to $400 units like Leupold & Zeiss Conquest. What you want is edge to edge clarity & brightness, with long & non-critical eye relief. It should be long enough to allow for proper positioning on your rifle without resorting to offset mounts, & it should be light enough to leave the overall balance of the rifle intact.

Any of the above choices will send you home with enough change to buy a very nice pair of binculars. Good hunting!

Posts: 70 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One brand that has not been mentioned is the Kimber 8400. Very well designed, of top quality and extremely accurate. They sell for around $1000 and well worth every cent.

If I only had one rifle, it would be a 30-06, and probably a Kimber 8400.

"Isn't it pretty to think so."

Posts: 148 | Location: Cascade Foot Hills | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
The Remington is a great rifle but every one of you has never mentioned a Savage rifle! Want a sleeper that shoots way out of proportion to it's price, take a look at them.
No sense buying a collectors item like a pre 64 mod 70 for hunting.
Some of you just have too much money! Confused

Not quite true buffalo breath Wink , see my above post, and I agree the Savage is one of, it not the best, rifles for the money in the world today.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I now see the Savage listed in posts above mine but the funny thing is that as I am writing and posting, more answers appear.
Some of you know what is good. clap
Lots of good guns today but budgets count for some of us. I get tired of selling off guns to buy other ones.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi John...

Wow...lot's of great suggestions so far...

If you have 2 grand to spend...that is enough to get into at least 2 rifles with decent optics and associated re-loading gear.

Go to the store and look at the selection...one brand not previously mentioned is Howa...very reasonably priced with excellent factory trigger and fine accuracy.

So..get a .223 and practice getting used to shooting a scope..do a little varmint shooting. Then move up to your 30-06 and practice some more. The 30-06 will give you enough flexibilty to hunt anything in your neck of the woods.

Best of luck.

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote