New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle/Cartridge Selection Help
 Login/Join

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I have bought a number of used rifles on consignment at my local gun shop and have gotten some great deals for a song and a dance. One rifle in particular stands out -- a Ruger M77 in .338 win mag that I got in great condition for $400.00.........the deals are out there, you just need to look in the right places.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
.338 win mag (250gr@2700fps) X 30-06 (case) = .375 Scovill.

Check www.Z_HAT.com for several articles.

Good luck

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
I have bought a number of used rifles on consignment at my local gun shop and have gotten some great deals for a song and a dance. One rifle in particular stands out -- a Ruger M77 in .338 win mag that I got in great condition for $400.00.........the deals are out there, you just need to look in the right places.

It would probably be wise of me to check the local gun shops as well as the retail outlets. Just because I don't wanted to spend over $2,000 doesn't mean I want to spend as close to it as possible. Smiler Thanks for that suggestion!

For those mentioning Savage, they look like pretty good deals. Their "package sets" that include the rifle and 3-9x40mm scopes are half the price of some other rifles I've looked at with no sights or optics. Do these types of rifles need to modified to accept iron sights? How does that work? Should it come with rails or grooves to mount iron sights on?

Posts: 28 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Their "package sets" that include the rifle and 3-9x40mm scopes are half the price of some other rifles I've looked at with no sights or optics.

There's a reason for that. The scopes are cheap junk and you'll end up spending more for a better scope (and mounts) because you WILL be disatisfied with the one that came on the rifle.

Unless it's a used rifle with a Leupold or similar quality scope on it.

Always buy good optics first, because if you go cheap you'll end up buying better eventually anyways. Less expensive in the long run.

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
quote:
Their "package sets" that include the rifle and 3-9x40mm scopes are half the price of some other rifles I've looked at with no sights or optics.

There's a reason for that. The scopes are cheap junk and you'll end up spending more for a better scope (and mounts) because you WILL be disatisfied with the one that came on the rifle.

Unless it's a used rifle with a Leupold or similar quality scope on it.

Always buy good optics first, because if you go cheap you'll end up buying better eventually anyways. Less expensive in the long run.

It's a case of pay me now or pay me later. I would generally agree with this, but said $400.00 came without a scope and I was looking for a 3x9 Leupold in my local gun shop, but they didn't have it in stock and I was heading to the range that day (I was in from overseas and didn't have the luxury of shopping elsewhere as time wouldn't allow it), and the only 3x9 (40 mm tube) they had in stock was a $112.00 Bushnell. The cheap scope has held up for 3 years of hard use and for the life of me I cannot figure out why......!! shocker My plan is to replace it with a Luepy when the Bushnell dies, but I just can't seem to kill it........ jumping

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're gonna put the rifle in a closet and take it out once a year to go kill a deer then the combo deals might be alright but if you plan on shooting it on a regular basis or being seen in public with it, I'd avoid the package deals.

One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
For my money you can't beat the .30-06 for your application. I would pick up a Remington 700 CDL. It will last you a life time. I have a 700 BDl that I bought in 1975. It has never failed me and is still going like the energizer bunny. It is still made in the good old USA too.

The 06 can go from 55 gr to 220 gr bullets. No other rifle gives you that versatility. Just my $.02.

coffee

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that package is such a good deal, but to each his own, the only real added value there is the stock and in most cases he won't need it. He's saving maybe a pound or a pound and a quarter tops with that stock.

I'd also advise you NOT to buy one of the Savage "package" deals either. Get good optics, at least at the Leupold VXII level and that doesn't mean just Leupolds but of that quality. OTOH if you just want to go out and shoot for a while, you can buy a package deal and shoot it until the scope breaks which likely won't be long and then get a decent scope. I wouldn't go that route but its your money.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris_Kenney
posted Hide Post
A lot of good advice. I have to chime in for the CZ 550 American. I literally had to be talked into buying one and it is the best rifle purchase I have ever made for what I paid for it. Buy a CZ in 30-06, put a high quality Leupold or Nikon scope on it, and spend the extra $800-$900 on a great pair of binoculars! Most of all, get something and get to it. Enjoy the hunt. beer

Posts: 120 | Location: Frisco, TX | Registered: 13 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 30/06,I have taken 15 elk to date with 2 different 30/06 rifles,an older Ruger 77 tang saftey and a Remington 700 BDL.Off the rack the Remington was the most accurate and reliable 30/06 rifle I ever owned,I was a fool to trade it.I own many 300 magnums and have started using the 300 H&H mag some times as it can stretch out the 180 gr Partition quite well.
You will know the right gun when you shoulder it,a good friend just chose a Savage 114 American in 30/06,shoots great!I highly recommend the Savage in any caliber.Drop-Shot

Posts: 91 | Location: Helena,Montana | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,
Bull tags in a good area will take a lot of bonus points as will a good muley area. Cow and general deer are easier but you still will accumulate points. Pigs are easier but after a few with a rifle you will probably be like the rest of us and not bother or switch to Archery or maybe handgun/muzzle loader to give it a challenge. The '06 advice given is hard to beat and as you can have years with no tags the idea of a fun cheap shooter (.223) for paper or coyotes is great. My only suggestion to you after nearly 50 years hunting AZ is put money in good glass. Quality glass (I like +$1000 Euro binos) and a tripod will do much more for your hunting than an extra $500 or $1000 for super accurate rig and/or fancy drop reticle on your scope. Last comment is on the weight, there was a time when weight was not a concern for me and now even though I would like to take my sentimental rifles they get left behind for the rifles under 8 lbs all up; those mountains you see out your window get taller and taller.
Ken

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Here's my 2 cents worth: I'd go with the 30-06 in a good bolt gun. The reloading possibilities are nearly endless. You can easily load down for smaller game, and you can load up for the biggest game in Arizona. Most combo deals I've seen aren't very good deals because the scopes are of such low quality. Wal-mart often has some very good deals on new guns and they can custom order some new guns at a great price. Don't forget to check your local gun shops and pawn shops. You can sometimes get tremendous deals there. Don't be afraid to do a little dickering. Good luck. Wink

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
John,
I know I'll get flamed for this, but I don't think the 338 is a good general purpose rifle. While an excellant rifle, if it is your only option, you won't shoot it much.
After having sold many rifles, I still have most of the caliber groups represented, right up through 458 Winchester. But for most hunting, I have two classes I will grab from.
First is the lever gun class, with several 30-30's, 35's and my favorite, a Browning 1886 in 45-70.
In the built for longer distance corner, the highlights are an old FN Browning Safari in 300 Win mag and two Mark V's in 270 Wby and 7mm Wby. In truth, they all do a similar job when not splitting hairs. Oh and there's a Ruger 77 MKII 308, which does a lot of shooting while the others stand around looking pretty.
While it's fun to exercise the bolt fed ray guns, the bottom line is, that if I am grabbing for something on the fly, it is usually a 30-30 of some description. We have no grizzly or moose in this neck of the woods. It will do fine for most anything else. Your mileage may vary.....
Bestboss

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the choice of .30-06 for an all around rifle. Choice of make is something everybody has personal opinions on. While I feel CZ and Ruger fit me best, the next guy likes Remington, ot Tikka. Try as many as you can to get the feel of each. As said earlier, one will just feel right and say take me. Optics wise, a good 4x will serve you well, but most people want a 3-9 or similar. Buy quality in optics and mounting system. You can't hit what you can't see clearly!

There is an old adage - Beware the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it. Get the one that fits you, and shoot a lot. Buy quality in opptics and they will pay you back over time.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 63
posted Hide Post
I have owned inexpensive rifles from CZ and Howa, and whilst both were excellent the Howa in a Hogue stock that I currently have (in .243) is a fantastic rifle for not much money at all. Its currently the cheapest centrefire on sale here in the UK, and I can't imagine why it would be more expensive in the US.

Like most Japanese engineering, it just works very well without too much fuss, and is available in .30-06. I have posted a review in the review forum

Posts: 80 | Location: Chester | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote