THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What are your hunting plans this year?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are your hunting plans this year?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted
I'm sure I'm like the rest of you and dying for hunting season. I know I've posted this before, but I recently bought 40 acres in East Texas. This will be my first season to hunt on it. I plan on going out for a little dove hunting in September if I can stand the heat. Deer hunting Nov & Dec. I may sneak in a little duck hunting. I have a small pond in the woods and ducks always seem to be on it when go out there. Of course, I need to do my part as a good citizen against the war on hogs. I'll let them walk during deer season but come January, they will get my full attention and there will be some night excursions.

What is everyone doing this year? I would love to hear about it. Let's break up the boredom.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Shockey Desert Mule deer hunt in November, then Trophy alligator hunt in March.
THanks for asking.
Good Luck

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Just got done putting stands together to bring out to woods for our bow season here in Nebraska, Heading to Idaho in September for a 10 day trip to try and kill a wolf, then November rifle deer hunt in western Nebraska. Kinda a slow year but next year I have lots of trips. Good Hunting to you all.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
My attention is directed at a Coues deer hunt in unit 36B in Arizona in October.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Local blacktail starts here tomorrow (rifle) and nothing until SD whitetail and bison in November. Lots of point drawn this year but he who dies with the most points is a DOPE!

Zinfandel and venison are GOOD!

Posts: 51 | Location: Mendocino County California | Registered: 26 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chestnut Lodge in NC for hog this November with two of my uncles. First season really into hunting, looking forward to booking a few trips next year!

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
What is everyone doing this year? I would love to hear about it. Let's break up the boredom.

A little freelance antelope hunting in Wyoming mid-September, then what? I still want to get up north for mule deer, not sure if work will cooperate...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did 2 weeks in Africa in June and shot 15 species there.

Oct 2nd cow elk hunt here in Colorado.

Nove is White tail in MO just before Thanksgiving.

Would love to fit in an antelope hunt but I think I am broke LOL.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Clark:
Just got done putting stands together to bring out to woods for our bow season here in Nebraska, Heading to Idaho in September for a 10 day trip to try and kill a wolf, then November rifle deer hunt in western Nebraska. Kinda a slow year but next year I have lots of trips. Good Hunting to you all.
Good luck with your ID wolf hunt. tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
My season started 2 weeks ago in Hawaii where I took a feral Spanish goat.

This week was addax and Texas dall in TX.

Next week is oversized sturgeon in Washington.

Week after that is alligator in FL.

Drew a bear tag here in CO for the month of Sept.

Antelope doe in CO sometime in Oct.

Mule deer in CO first week of Nov. Throw in some whitetail hunting around Thanksgiving in Oklahoma.

Antelope doe tag in OK from middle of Dec. to middle of Jan.

Did I mention pheasant and quail season during the months of Dec. and Jan.? Big Grin

I think I'm full this year!!! Big Grin

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two moose on license in Maine in October.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by don444:
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Clark:
Good luck with your ID wolf hunt. tu2

Thanks Don! I am looking forward to it.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Weekends in the woods for elk. After work during the week I picked up some Whitetail doe tags for close to town.

Archery starts Sept 3. cant wait.

What I am looking forward to the most is my oldest can hunt this year so when he can hunt Oct 23 thats what all my hunting will revolve around.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does only archery starts late September near Pittsburgh, Statewide archery beginning of October.

I still have stands to move or build, and lanes to cut. I have to take advantage of the corn growing here for the first time in 15 years.

November I will be hunting deer in northern Missouri, end of archery, beginning of rifle. My family out there also has bird dogs, so we may hunt quail and pheasant, or waterfowl.

We can hunt crows here, soon. Its a fun shotgun hunt for us. Crows are about the most shooting on a hunt we get here.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:

Wow. What units? Want to drop some of that meat off in MA? Best of luck.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Moose hunting here (Alaska) in Sept.
Late Sept - Northern BC for Elk and Moose
October - Southern BC for Bighorns Ram
November - Montana for Mulie's
Already did a Kodiak Brown Bear this past May.
That's it for this year.3

Next year its the Spanish Ibex slam.

Posts: 444 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DIY elk hunting first rifle season in Colorado. I'm not a trophy hunter. Where I'm going there may be smallish to moderate bulls 4x4, 5x5, 6x6. I'm planning to take a cow, but you never know what is going to show up. If a bull is standing there and no cow is in view, I may well take the bull. I won't have the head mounted so there seems little point in taking a bull to me. Cows are said to eat better. We camp at 11,300' and hunt at about our elevation a few miles away on foot. Beautiful country.

And as your post sort of suggests, I too am beginning to find myself dreaming more and more about this trip. Really looking forward to it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Leaving for Mexico November 19th, Desert Muledeer for me and Desert Sheep for my husband.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
heading to thedford, NE in november for the rifle opener on a DIY deer hunt on some private dirt i have access to. then leaving there and driving to west TN to hunt with my pops for thanksgiving week. otherwise bow hunting here in VA. unless i find something last minute really cheap that i cant pass up

Posts: 784 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got back from Zimbabwe on a DG hunt with my son. A little squirrel hunting in Sept., then whitetails during firearm and ML season, this Nov./Dec.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
S. TX whitetail first part of Nov.
BC Canada for whitetail end of Nov.
Rio Negro for peacock bass in Feb.

Currently looking for a discounted desert sheep hunt...

Kathi,
Will this be Rick's first desert sheep?
Which outfitter are you using for your Mex. mulie & desert sheep?

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
1. Did a nice plains game hunt with my wife this June/July.

2. P-dog hunting with a friend in WY with in the next week.

3 Bison hunt in Nebraska with a friend/ October

4. Maybe a Addax if they get cheap enough.

5. A little bow/gun hunting for whitetail and hogs on our place Nov/Dec

There will be dove and quail/pheasant mixed in too.. I love to bird hunt.

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The year is over for me but did include an enjoyable and successful BC grizzly and black bear hunt in May. I'll enjoy watchng my 13 year old go after axis and whitetail in the "back 40" with his crossbow though.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
new mexico elk in october

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Dove Sept 1st, CO Antelope Oct 1st, Whitetail in TN November, may be going to ID for magnum Mule deer, Sea ducks, Brant, Geese and puddle/diving ducks in Boston Dec 12th (still have room for a few others if anyone hasn't tried that yet). Exotics sometime in the winter.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:
quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:

Wow. What units? Want to drop some of that meat off in MA? Best of luck.

The wife and I have tags (bull for me again) and a cow tag for her in WMD 3 (above Caribou).

sure we still have a 1/4 share available if you want!

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Most Octobers I go out for spike elk here in Utah with my neighbors. Hope to blood my Pre 64 M70 in 257 Rob with a 120 PT. Then a January cow elk hunt over on the Ute Tribe Res in the Uinta Basin. Probably use my little 6.5x47 with 140 VLD's or 9.3x62 with 250 AB's.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lde,

www.desert-hunt.com

Good luck on your hunts and fishing trip. We went to the Rio Negro for peacock bass in 2004 and it was outstanding.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To hunt dove in September, then try to be "afield" at least 45 days out of our 90 day bow and rifle season.

Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Just got back from a successful Black Tail hunt in Sonoma. My son took a fantastic buck - report to follow.

Leave Wednesday for a NM antelope.

Mid September for AZ archery bull. The outfitter has that kind of bull on trail cam.

Next, archery elk in BC.

Wyoming antelope in October.

Sacramento Valley for ducks 10/22

CO mule deer 3rd season.

Aoudad in West Texas come January.

Then off to Zim with dreams of an 80 pounder in February.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Been chasing hogs and random exotics down in south Texas since January. Will head down again over Labor Day to see if we can get the wife on an axis doe for meat and hide. I'll try to whack a hog while there.

The following weekend she has an antelope tag here in NM.

Throughout September I'll try to shoot a few doves with the kids when school, gymnastics, and soccer practice allow.

Mid-October means a trip to Wyoming to see if the wife and I can each fill a couple antelope doe tags.

Late October will bring my southern NM desert mule deer muzzleloader hunt. I'm looking forward to hitting the hills for that one.

I'll make a trip or two to TX to try for a nice whitetail buck in November and December. Hopefully I can get my 8-year old daughter a shot at a nice fat doe.

From November through February I'll also knock around here in the desert looking for coyotes and quail when time allows.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off to BC for Rocky Mtn goat and wolf last 2 weeks of Oct.

Kyrgyzstan for two weeks in mid Nov for Mid Asian ibex and wolf.

Helping out with a couple of desert bighorn hunts here in AZ in Dec.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sept - archery elk in co

oct - squirrel here on the farm and whitetails with my longbow

nov - back to co for elk w/rifle, ducks here on the farm, rifle for deer here on the farm

dec - more ducks and deer, hogs with bow, squirrels

jan - ducks, hogs, deer if any family members needs meat

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoping to get picked for one of the draw hunts in Texas. Otherwise, it is going to be a slim year. Job situation is great for time but stinks for having funding to hunt.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After many years, limited elk in southern utah

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Bull Elk and Buck Deer early November in Colorado with one of my sons, both brothers and several good friends. Started our season a couple weeks ago when we went to Texas and put my 8 year old son on a hog and an exotic ram, it was his first hunt.
We may try to put together an Antelope hunt if it all plays out right.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote