Tools

Poll on using harvest.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
D99 wrote:
quote:
If you have never served your nation, I have no reason to talk to you again. As obviously you and I have nothing in common.

You have access to the ignore feature just like anyone else. Have at it... rotflmo

Your attitude and earlier outburst are quite perplexing. You initiated the post to promote your agenda -- on a PUBLIC forum, I might add.

You welcomed those who agreed with your PERSONAL OPINIONS and went ballistic on those who chose to disagree, including the extremely offensive remark to SSGraves155, for which I still believe a real gentleman would apologize.

You also wrote: "if you want to mock my lack of what you see as a positive contribution toward the greater hunting community that's up to you."

Your hypersensitivity is getting the best of you. I have NEVER mocked you as my manners are better than that -- not to mention I choose to extend common courtesy as much as I can. I challenge you now to find any place where such would have occurred.

Until then...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My opinion, for what it is worth.

In current Western society, particularly the English speaking part (I have family in Australia), subjective truth is more important than objective truth, presentation counts more than substance. Additionally, the vast majority of people, maybe all people on some 'sensitive subjects', cannot face reality.

Examples which spring to my mind are grandfather / grandmother, mum / dad have gone to live with God, Spot had to be put to sleep etc. Some are merely 'white lies' told for the best of intentions, but they form part of the collective refusal to face life.

So, if 'harvesting' makes our hunting / shooting more palatable to the majority which do not hunt, then I suggest we follow the Jesuist adage of the ends justifying the means. We want to be allowed to continue hunting, they want a "Disney" view of the World which is fair, tidy with prizes for all.

Posts: 1289 | Location: England | Registered: 07 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
Hot Core-

You have missed the point of my posts....
No offense intended, just sticking a "barb" or two on the fence wire. Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
I think I'll get myself of of those fancy little signature lines, maybe something like this:

quote:
harvest: a transitive verb to kill animals for food, sport, or to control their population

jumping
Hey Bobby, That is pretty good, but since Skinner is agreeing with you, I have to suggest a slight mod - harvest: a transitive verb to kill animals, using good old never actually improved upon Lead Bullets, for food, sport, or to control their population. Big Grin

Goog Hunting and clean 1-shot KILLS!!!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
never actually improved upon Lead Bullets

If the goal is to eliminate lead fragments in donated venison, since donated venison falls under local, state and Federal regulation, then a lead free bullet is a significant improvement.

Or if the law requires the use of non toxic projectiles for conservation purposes the non toxics are quite an improvement over whining about not using lead bullets.

I harvested a couple feral hogs with Nosler E-Tips in the condor zone and they worked just fine Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I never call anyone here a liberal or any other name. I was only saying that if a dedicated liberal says "KILL" it can't be that bad of a word in their world.
I don't care if you say Harvest because I have also used the word in delicate places.
Please stop taking what I say as personal!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
My opinion, for what it is worth.

In current Western society, particularly the English speaking part (I have family in Australia), subjective truth is more important than objective truth, presentation counts more than substance. Additionally, the vast majority of people, maybe all people on some 'sensitive subjects', cannot face reality.

Examples which spring to my mind are grandfather / grandmother, mum / dad have gone to live with God, Spot had to be put to sleep etc. Some are merely 'white lies' told for the best of intentions, but they form part of the collective refusal to face life.

So, if 'harvesting' makes our hunting / shooting more palatable to the majority which do not hunt, then I suggest we follow the Jesuist adage of the ends justifying the means. We want to be allowed to continue hunting, they want a "Disney" view of the World which is fair, tidy with prizes for all.

thumb thumb thumb thumb

Really damn good post.

Some folks just do not want to face reality and that includes hunters.

Our world is changing, whether we want it to or not.

If modifying our speech helps keep us from losing the ability to hunt and kill stuff, then for Gods sake modify your damn words and don't lose it for all of us.

As I stated earlier, anyone your talking to that knows you are a hunter, knows what you mean, whether you say harvest/kill/catch/bag/take/dispatch, just pick a word you are comfotable with and go for it.

Sorry RobThom, had to have a little rant there.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about this "Harvesting Game" today and just can't see how running down a Deer with a Combine would provide the kind of meat I want. Big Grin

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
I was thinking about this "Harvesting Game" today and just can't see how running down a Deer with a Combine would provide the kind of meat I want. Big Grin

LOL!! Thank you for adding some levity to this post!! jumping

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Well folks, I hunt. I do not see what the big deal is with terminology.

Sometimes when I hunt, though not always, I kill what I am hunting.

I then harvest the meat, either for my consumption, local consumption (if I am 'away'), for my dog, cats or my poultry. That meat is gonna get harvested. Oh, my old pet lizards too. Some have a thing for grilled venison.

Enjoy the hunt, don't get hung up on words.

Roasted duck- curried

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ann-

Ahh...how evil to post that mouth-watering photo of the roasted duck just before my mealtime! Big Grin

My tastebuds are going crazy now, and those homemade enchiladas no longer sound as enticing.

All kidding aside, the curried duck does look wonderful!

Have a great evening!
Bobby

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I like to use kill or shoot for my own use...everyone else should use what they want...the one I don't like is TAKE...I take my deer home in my truck. I dont take them with a rifle.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I usually use the words "killed" or "shot" when speaking of game I have taken personally. Sometimes in writing I may use the word "taken"--the way I worded a thread about which gun people had killed the most whitetail deer with. I don't really think it matters what term you use. Those who are against hunting are going to be against it whatever terms are used. Those who are for hunting, for the most part, also aren't going to care which terms you use, at least I don't. I do hate to see people get so worked up about it. My nickels worth.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I grew up with farmers, wheat is harvested, animals are not. I am probably not PC, anyone offended by the word 'killed' will probably be offended by me sooner or later anyway. As far as hunting goes, I don't see were anyone has a bitch unless they are vegan. If they are not, someone is killing their meat, I just kill my own.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote