Find
Notify
Tools

Poll on using harvest.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
harvest: a transitive verb to kill animals for food, sport, or to control their population

I have no problems with the word, and if anyone out there thinks using "harvest" is the "battle" we need to take to the antis, they are sadly mistaken.

There are more significant concerns with the antis out there on which our energies could (and should) be focused.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
When I speak or write, I use "kill." I use "take." I use "bag."

And yes, I use "harvest" in the appropriate context.

There are no politically correct connotations or implications associated with the word except what we choose to conjure up in our own minds.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a neighbor woman down the road that lives by herself. She is educated to the point she won't go find a job because she says she is over qualified for all of them. However she can't do a single thing for herself. I have to do everything for her. She can't even start her lawn mower.
She is a super liberal and listens to PBS all day. She loves Nobama. I argue with her all the time but she will not read or listen to any conservative thing at all. They have blinders on when they get like that and only listen to what fits their views. They are totally brainwashed and one is better off beating their head on a concrete wall trying to make a dent in the stupidity of a liberal. No way to get them to think for themselves.
Anyway to the crux of this, she lets me and my friends hunt!
She tells me to "KILL" all the deer and squirrels on her property.
It turns out that squirrels are republicans and they get even with her. They along with the mice, chew her wires and fuel lines on her tractor and car all the time.
She just called and has been collecting the gas from her car in jugs because a squirrel ate through the fuel line again. dancing
Not too funny really because I have to go fix it again. I am taking my time so she loses all the gas, then it won't run down my arm! jumping
But she always says "KILL" the things, never "HARVEST".
Directly from the mouth of a liberal!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Poll D99, I voted for the last one since I feel that old. Big Grin

I Hunt and Kill, Hunt and Kill, Hunt and Kill. It is what I do and it concerns me not at all who I mention "Kill" to.

Harvest to me means taking Plant matter Crops from the field by means of a Combine, Picker, Mower/Rake/Bailer. So, I use it when I'm talking about reaping the Crops.

I do smile when folks use Harvest when talking about Game and Varmints. Big Grin For the ones that do it that I like, I hope they don't hurt themselves while straddling the fence. rotflmo BOOM

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Hot Core wrote:
quote:
I do smile when folks use Harvest when talking about Game and Varmints. For the ones that do it that I like, I hope they don't hurt themselves while straddling the fence.

To insinuate that someone who uses the term harvests is "straddling the fence" is as ludicrous and weak of an argument as I have ever heard. That type of behavior is what tends to divide hunters and strengthen the antis.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always thought harvest had to do with crops and farms. The first (and only times) I hear people say the word harvest relating to hunting is on TV shows about Whitetail hunting. I don’t know if there is something wrong with using the word harvest, but I’m just a City Boy from California.

The word that gets me upset is said by a lot by people that rarely get outdoors. It usually goes like this.

"What did you this weekend?"

"I went deer hunting."

"Catch anything?"

I have to explain you don’t catch them, you shoot them.

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fail to see what diiference it makes. This is the internet!! Absolutely no flames intended but it seems like empty subject matter.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
30378 wrote:
quote:
I fail to see what diiference it makes. This is the internet!! Absolutely no flames intended but it seems like empty subject matter.

thumb thumb thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
posted Hide Post
"How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?"

Same kind of semantic argument. I personally kill or harvest, since I/my ranch is under a game management plan and we are required to kill x number of does a year which fits one of the secondary definitions of harvest. In addition, since all game populations in the US are under intensive management and control (seasons, limits, game wardens, etc) harvest is a perfectly appropriate word to use with or instead of "kill." In short, bah, no big deal.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i dont like or use the word harvest.
but i eat what i shoot and if i dont plan to eat it or give it to others, i dont shoot it.

so in my case the word harvest isn't that far off.

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bfrshooter:
I have a neighbor woman down the road that lives by herself. She is educated to the point she won't go find a job because she says she is over qualified for all of them. However she can't do a single thing for herself. I have to do everything for her. She can't even start her lawn mower.
She is a super liberal and listens to PBS all day. She loves Nobama. I argue with her all the time but she will not read or listen to any conservative thing at all. They have blinders on when they get like that and only listen to what fits their views. They are totally brainwashed and one is better off beating their head on a concrete wall trying to make a dent in the stupidity of a liberal. No way to get them to think for themselves.
Anyway to the crux of this, she lets me and my friends hunt!
She tells me to "KILL" all the deer and squirrels on her property.
It turns out that squirrels are republicans and they get even with her. They along with the mice, chew her wires and fuel lines on her tractor and car all the time.
She just called and has been collecting the gas from her car in jugs because a squirrel ate through the fuel line again. dancing
Not too funny really because I have to go fix it again. I am taking my time so she loses all the gas, then it won't run down my arm! jumping
But she always says "KILL" the things, never "HARVEST".
Directly from the mouth of a liberal!

If your calling me a liberal, walk 5 miles in my moccasins. I have been involved in every military conflict the United States Navy has been in since I first enlisted FIFTEEN YEARS AGO. I don't have famnily of my own, I am married to the Navy and married to the war.

With heroes like McCain and those that fought in Midway, Tarawa, Guadalcanal, Iowa Jima, Saipan, the Marianas, Okinawa, Japan, Vietnam, the Persian Gulf, Haiti, Bosnia, and Kosovo.

I have every campaign medal that has been assigned during those 15 years (camnpaign medals are not awards, they show where you have been).

Then again you don't know me. You don't know that I went to Vietnam as a wreckage analyist in 2002 and dug the bones of 3 men out of bombed up mountain, Viet graveyard, and a big lake.

There is a reason a very small percentage of the American military is liberal, it has to do not with the lack of love liberals have for this nation. It has to do with the fact that they will very rarely put themselves in harms way to protect this nation. I don't personally know any liberal fire fighters, police officers, game wardens, or Coast Guardsmen.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
D99:

Thank you for your service to our country.

I agree there are lots of important issues that we (you, me, and the rest of the folks on this forum) need to fight for or we will lose. But IMO, the use or non-use of harvest is very insignficant either way.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
...To insinuate that someone who uses the term harvests is "straddling the fence" is as ludicrous and weak of an argument as I have ever heard. That type of behavior is what tends to divide hunters and strengthen the antis.
Did you hit a Barb on that wire you are straddling? clap

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
The first time the term "harvest" became a topic of discussion, I was in Alberta, bear hunting (sorry, I was sitting in an elevated stand waiting for a bear to eat some food in a barrel so I could shoot it-I guess that is not "hunting")....anyway, I shot a bear on day 2 or 3 and at the dinner table, I told another hunter that I "killed" the bear with my 30.06 since he asked. (I had my bow with me).

The outfitter (a die hard liberal) said calmly, "aaaaahhhh, well, we prefer to use the term 'harvest.' It just sounds a little better, cleaner, and well, you get the picture."

Then his daughter, my guide, said, "if you think about it, you are really harvesting the animal, by definition."

I looked at them and said, well, feel free to use whatever term makes you comfortable, I do. And, if you think about it, when you put a bullet through the lungs of an animal that used to have life and you just ended it, you "killed" it, right?

I don't have a problem with anyone who wishes to use the word harvest or kill, or take, or collect, or even "catch."

Use whatever term makes you comfortable, but I don't want anyone to tell me NOT to use "kill." If they do, I'll just say it louder and more often.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I harvest from my gardens and fields.

I hunt and kill game.

One should see the looks on peoples faces when they asked me what I do for intertainment. I tell them I kill things.

F the anti's I get right into their faces.

They don't like me I don't like them.

Now I don't take the hard line if there is a chance to convert them I go eaiser

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Doc said it better than I can, nice wording Doc.

I KILL animals. To say anything less, to me disgraces the act. That animal was alive, and I killed it. I took it's life in a deliberate act for my own purpose. To not recognize that takes the honor from the animal, and the act of hunting.

Call it what you want. I'm not into pandering to libs or bunny huggers. You will never "win them over", their minds and eyes are glued shut.

"Hey Honey, I'm gonna be out in the back 40 harvesting that crop of mulies today, they're finally ready."

"Ok dear, see you this evening."

Sounds stupid to me too.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Doc wrote:
quote:
Use whatever term makes you comfortable, but I don't want anyone to tell me NOT to use "kill." If they do, I'll just say it louder and more often.

Funny thing is, it's the guy who says nothing but "kill" trying to hush everyone else from saying "harvest."

If you look at both threads, none of those who use "harvest" have tried to stop anyone from saying "kill."

Just the facts...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
both threads?

I use "kill" 99% of the time and never tell anyone to do anything but use the terms they are comfortable with. I think I wrote that clearly.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Doc-I was referring to D99 -- the guy who started both threads -- and not you.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
ok...but I still missed the other thread. where is it?

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
nevermind....I read it from the first post.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doc wrote:
quote:

Funny thing is, it's the guy who says nothing but "kill" trying to hush everyone else from saying "harvest."

If you look at both threads, none of those who use "harvest" have tried to stop anyone from saying "kill."

Just the facts...

At what time did I come to your hunting area with a big book of rules that said you couldn't say harvest?

I think it is PC bullshit, if you choose to use it it's a free world do what you must.

I don't like it. I just wanted to see who else didn't like it.

I don't personally know anyone that uses the word harvest. I have been corrected on several occasions by folks on this website for saying kill or take. It got under my skin, and I knew that I wasn't the only one that didn't like it.

And now after 114 votes, I really know that I am not the only one that doens't like it.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
D99 wrote: "You and Trigg Palin must have the same affliction, as only a fucking retard would call someoene a liar from 2000 miles away."
--

With that outburst, you did more to set back the sport of hunting than any use of the word "harvest" ever could.

Those remarks were a huge black eye to our sport. But the PETA extremists will love you all the more for providing them additional ammo...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Nice of you to include my outburst from another post.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...If you look at both threads, none of those who use "harvest" have tried to stop anyone from saying "kill."...
It would do no good, because I will continue to say that I KILL animals, as anyone in their right mind would. stir animal

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot KILLS!

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Hot Core-

You have missed the point of my posts.

I, too, will continue to say "kill," just as I do with bag, tag or drop. And within reason, I will defend the right of anyone to use whatever descriptive means they choose.

But I also exercise my RIGHT to use "harvest," though D99 will tell you that use of the word is undermining hunting's future. Roll Eyes

I guess I was absent the day that the hunting public had elected him to be the official hunting language censor. Big Grin

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
We called but you didn't show up at the meeting. The person that answered the phone said you were out harvesting your corn (ahem) "Native American verticle yellow grain crop"

The poll says I am in the majority by about 75%.

Do what ever you want to do as it is still a free nation.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I think I'll get myself of of those fancy little signature lines, maybe something like this:

quote:
harvest: a transitive verb to kill animals for food, sport, or to control their population

jumping

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
D99 wrote:
quote:

Yes, it does. But keep in mind that less than 150 people took part in it thus far.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah but who cares. Big Grin

Until such time that you have actually defended hunting in a real forum, ie; a legislature, a court, F&G commission meeting, land use planning function, the media or any number of other venues your opinion is meaningless.

In the other thread you chest thumped about your financial support of NRA and SCI, groups I've worked with for years on hunting/trapping issues. Guess what, they too use the term 'harvest' as do wildlife managers.

You're so off base on this it's humorous. A complete non issue you've imagined as a "problem".

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Allow me to quote myself from the other thread that got locked due to some inappropriate commentary:

"I just don't see the big deal here and I think we have bigger problems then an argument about semantics. JMHO. Who cares what you call it...... Confused"

I just can't get worked up over terminology......maybe I've grown up and out of that phase in my life.......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Whitworth-

I agree 100%! thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
skinner wrote:
quote:
In the other thread you chest thumped about your financial support of NRA and SCI, groups I've worked with for years on hunting/trapping issues. Guess what, they too use the term 'harvest' as do wildlife managers.

THANK YOU for pointing that out!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
That sounds like fun, supporting and lobbying for the cause.

Hmm. Well I have been home for a month from the war. Next weekend I am packing up my sea bag full of desert camoflauge, flack gear, and heading back over there. I have for done this for almost 15 years.

I hunt when I get the chance, which won't be this year, and probably won't be in 2009 either. Well I retire in 5 years so maybe that will work.

I am glad you two are not responsible for weighing my soul.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
D99 wrote:
quote:
Hmm. Well I have been home for a month from the war. Next weekend I am packing up my sea bag full of desert camoflauge, flack gear, and heading back over there. I have for done this for almost 15 years

Your service to our country is truly appreciated, and I do know what it's all about as I have numerous family members -- some highly decorated -- who made the military their careers. Their sacrifices have been many, but I have never, ever heard any of them mention their personal choice of service in any context that would resemble an excuse.

But repeated mentioning of it in your posts almost makes it sound as if your service is becoming a crutch. I certainly hope that is not the case.

Again, though, your service to this great country is appreciated.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I am prouder to serve our nation than anytime I have ever been in.

Tit for tat, it does take away from my hunting, and my ability to have a family. As I am usually deployed 8-10 months a year.

I don't begrugdge the military anything. Decorations mean nothing, I have a cheast full of medals and ribbons. You never get them for the things that you deserve them for and you always get them for the things you thought were BS. Campaign medals matter though, they show where you have been.

We still haven't caught Bin Ladin, so until he's dead I need to be chasing him.

As far as I am concerned this topic is dead, if you want to mock my lack of what you see as a positive contribution toward the greater hunting community that's up to you.

If you have never served your nation, I have no reason to talk to you again. As obviously you and I have nothing in common.

To be born free is an accident. To live free is a privilege. To die free is a responsibility.

— Brig. General James Sehorn

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have never served your nation, I have no reason to talk to you again. As obviously you and I have nothing in common.

Hmmmm. Do they have an outdoors board with only current and former military allowed? Maybe you should post there.

Edit: Just to be clear, I appreciate your service and that of all our current and former military. I just do not understand the attitude.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:

As a former US Marine, I find this a bit offensive. We serve to protect the right to have an oposing opinion and to voice it. Personally I have enjoyed B. Tomek's posts in the past. This is a hunting forum, correct? If you don't want to hear differing opinions, don't ask for them.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Semper Fi Whitworth I wasn't talking to you but only to Bobby Tomek.