Find
Notify
Tools

At what age, did you...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
...say. "I am tired of messing with multiple rifles for hunting/target shooting and I am going to start disposing of them. Just too much effort to reload for all of them and I just keep tweaking them changing scopes or bullets etc."

Question:
At age (select from below), I paired down my collection to just 1 or 2 rifles for each category of target/varmint, deer/elk, and dangerous game.

Pair down can be through any means sell or give away.

Choices:
45-50 (select this if you started prior to age 45)
51-55
56-60
61-65
66-70
71-75
75+
Never going to do it, my heirs can deal with it

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In this midst of this process right now!

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve sold a few in the last few years and have been concentrating on obtaining those that I have really wanted or wished for.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 969 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
I’m fixing to turn 72 and I’m contemplating beginning pairing down.

Too many to reload for and I can’t shoot them all anyway.

Posts: 711 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been culling and adding for as long as I can remember but never really thought about pairing down.

I don't have plans for a gun dump... yet. (67)

My daughters have spoken for a few and I bet the sons-in-law will take the rest without complaining too much. Haha

Zeke

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sold several earlier this year but since that time I've bought 2 more Wink

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
To raise funds for my sixth Namibian safari in 2022 with Sebra Hunting Safaris, I’ve sold the following guns this year:

Two National Match M1A’s
Ruger Red Label shotgun (New in Box)
Savage Model 99F in .300 Savage

I still have a few more guns to go, but the proceeds should finance at least 90% of my daily rate and trophy fees. I’ll use Frequent Flyer miles for my airfare.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of guys in their 80's that buy a gun or two every month they don't shoot.

I red this article about 10 years ago about a guy that at the time was 10 years younger than me and tried really hard to only own 5 rifles total.

His 5 were amazing, but I think it is a sound concept.

I have downsized many times for international moves.

Too many guns is too many guns, but not everyone can buy into this.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am 65 a couple of years ago I started giving firearms away.

It is far more fun to help a new shooter.

Then just receiving money for them.

I still buy some.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've been an orphanage for guns for a long time. Many have come in, (new and used) and none have gone out. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Guess I ain't old enough to understand this yet.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had that many rifles at one time. Maybe 10 max. Not the greatest customer for my preferred gun shop, for rifles at least. Reloading components is another matter !!
Ever since owning rifles and attempting to getting my battery sorted to preferred calibres only I've sold a .22LR, .303 British, 7mm Rem Mag and a couple of 12 ga. shotguns. I still need to sell a sxs 12 ga. gun and a Blaser barrel in 300 Blaser Mag I will never shoot again. Now that my battery is nicely sorted I am quite content to just use what I have. Apart from maybe adding one more .300 Win Mag I don't get excited enough at any of the new latest and greatest calibres that appear to go out and buy one. Not that I wouldn't but it would have to be something very special / clever to tempt me. My current battery:-
.22 Win Mag
.243W
.270W
30.06 ( x 3 )
.300 Win Mag
( 300 Blaser Mag, coming soon )
.375 H&H
Also, warming to the .375 Ruger, so we'll just see what happens.
I'm a happy camper !

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The idea of just a small number of perfect caliber rifles to cover everything I hunt is appealing to my efficient self. But there is another person taking up space in my brain, and he is a rifle nut. He is also a collector, and a financial planner, who has done well selling/trading rifles. The longer I hold onto them, hunt them, enjoy them,..the more they go up in value.

I currently own a little under 200 rifles. I asked my local dealer if I could trade a rifle for a new safe and he was happy to oblige. I thought this a great idea and could reduce my collection by one. I grabbed my sheets of rifles to select one to part with. After a conversation with myself that went: 'nope, nope, nope, nope,...' for every rifle I own, I realized I will buying a new safe with cash.

I'm going to buy a big one so that...

Life is good.

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have all seen the prices of ammo and firearms go sky high lately.

I own rifles that I bought just a couple of years ago for $700 that today are worth $2,500. I could give many more such examples.

I've invested in the stock market and made good money. I've bought firearms wisely and made about the same or better return on my money. I enjoy my firearms more than watching my portfolio.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
People get rid of guns???

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
The correct number of guns a person needs can be defined by X = Y + 1 where Y = the current number of guns owned.

I just purchased a Sako A-IV Safari Grade in 375 H&H making it the 4th rifle of that caliber in my safe!

Will be picking up 5 new NFA rifles sometime in the next few months!!

Will be 60 in January. I ain't done yet!

One of Us
Picture of IKE
posted Hide Post
I'm coming up on 72 and I started thinning the herd in my mid to late 60's.....sold most and gifted three or four.

A small collection compared to some but between rifles, shotguns and handguns I was up in the mid 50's range and I'm now down in the low teens.

I mentioned to my soon to be 50 son, who lives in Ga., back in 2008 that when I pass that he was going to inherit a pretty nice gun collection and he said,......"dad I've got all the guns I need I've got a 30-06 rifle, a 12 ga. shotgun, a .22LR rifle and a 9mm semi auto".

Upon hearing what he said and with no other heirs that is when I started thinning the herd.....I did make him take my grand fathers 12 ga. Winch. Mdl. 12 and he said later that he took a couple ducks with it, cleaned it good and put it away.

Posts: 230 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by youngoutdoors:
Guess I ain't old enough to understand this yet.

God Bless, Louis

And therein lies the answer I believe.

The last few comments have been by 60-72 year olds. I am 70 myself.

I have no heirs, so I suppose when I get close to 90 and my vision begins to fail, or my body, I will probably then, begin to think about thinning the herd.

But it's unthinkable for now...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting rid of any gun would be like selling the family pet!!!

Posts: 225 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have no heirs, so I suppose when I get close to 90 and my vision begins to fail, or my body, I will probably then, begin to think about thinning the herd.

I hope you have good estate planning and don't leave some one with a mess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDSpink:
Getting rid of any gun would be like selling the family pet!!!

This^^^^^^^^^^

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

I hope you have good estate planning and don't leave some one with a mess.

Well, it would be a rather attractive 'mess' for someone to deal with. The rewards would probably pay the freight... Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've recovered from one addiction, only to fall prey to another.

On one hand I started selling off several center-fire hunting rifles. On the other I've started to buy older, classic shotguns, as well as high-end competition shotguns.

I admit, I need help.

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
TWL - need to get you on the 12 step.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will never sell anything. I have a son, two daughters, seven grandsons, two grand daughters, two great grandsons and two great great grandsons. My plan is to give each a gun and their spouse as well. Have you ever heard of better excuses to try something new. My son is in charge of disbursement when I am gone. The grandsons are debating the reloading components with glee because there is enough for the great greats to have enough for their lifetimess. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bought-sold-traded-sold off- tried to consolidate so we all had the same round- missed the ones I sold-bought more- sold some-kids got some.

I think I'm at the standstill point, where things just come along every 4-5 years.
I dunno,,, I currently need a couple of good scopes though.... LOL.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Never had "fancy" guns until I hunted Africa. My ex-boss gifted me my rare Hoffman Arms 375 H&H built with a 1938 Winchester action with custom Martin Hagn stock. Truly a one of a kind rifle that killed all my African game except the Elephant.

Now it sits in a safe.

I occasionally think of selling it but it would truly be like saying goodbye to an old friend.

Hoffman

Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
Never had "fancy" guns until I hunted Africa. My ex-boss gifted me my rare Hoffman Arms 375 H&H built with a 1938 Winchester action with custom Martin Hagn stock. Truly a one of a kind rifle that killed all my African game except the Elephant.

Now it sits in a safe.

I occasionally think of selling it but it would truly be like saying goodbye to an old friend.

Hoffman

Jim

One can only hope when we are gone the people who receive firearms like these appreciate them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear ya' Jim.

Just like that Hoffman rifle of yours, I have rifles that I used in early safaris that have so many animals & memories attached to them, that I could never sell any, even though I've moved on to 'better' rifles that I use now.

When I look at those early rifles, a flood of memories come rushing back. I think if I sold them, I'd lose those 'instant' memories that accompany them.

Don't sell your Hoffman! It's too nice of a rifle, and the memories are too precious.

Besides, you'll need it on your next safari. Keep the dream alive...

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Well gentlemen, I got my first rifle at the age of six years, and am now 84 years old, and I have three sons that will get the rifles and shotguns and pistols that I have now. IF Biden gets his wish to confiscate all firearms and destroy them, that will change my disposal of the collection to go down a dead oil well shaft before he will get them to put them in a crusher.
If I'm still alive it would kill me anyway to watch fine double rifle go into a crusher !

barf .............................. old MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
I'm down to my M70 .264 & a Robar custom M700 .300 WM. Neither has been fired over the past decade & will be for sale shortly

The only other gun I own is a Parker Bros. lifter 10 ga. double that was made in 1880 & belonged to my granddad. It has 36" barrels -- one of only 12 made according to the PB serial # lists. It is also destined to be sold.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mentioned to my oldest son that I ought to just sell most of my guns and he said just hang on to them, that he and his sister and brother would take care of them. I don't need the money, so I really don't care.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am 50. I hope to have another 20 years to hunt, but who knows? I hope to pass on all my guns to family. I really do not want to sell anything.

Whenever I have sold a gun, I have usually been burned on the price and almost always regret selling.

I have a couple of family "heirloom" guns that will go to the family members that will likely never sell them.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Mike, I call whittling down "That old Fashioned Feeling." Started way before 40 - more like 30. I subscribe to the three-rifle-and-a-shotgun theory, but alas I'm still not there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
turned 50 and kind of done getting more guns.

I only want guns I shoot. And I shoot my rifles and handguns more than most ar members.

I am instead doing the financially imprudent thing of upgrading my guns

new triggers on cz452
upgrading all ar
buying new scopes

I plan to get some sako trg 22, some steyrs and a few blaser k95. otherwise I am done buying guns.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
In 2010, I was sitting at over 300 firearms, have 22 going to auction next month. That will put me under 70. I will probably move another 20 next year.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm at 150 or so, will give my daughter a couple to take back with her when she visits next month.
I think about selling some, but then what?
I can shoot right out of my house in every direction but the barn. Still enjoy trying new loads.
I heard once that a well used gun comes with a ghost. I like that thought, and will give my favorites to someone who will take them hunting now and then. That way, part of me gets to go too.

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
In addition to the guns I've recently sold to finance my 2022 trip to Namibia, I've gifted several guns to my 10 year old grandson, via his dad, (my younger son Steve). I gave the boy a Youth Model .22LR, a Match Air Rifle, a Ruger Model 1 in .223 and a Daisy BB gun. I still have a few more "Safe Queens" to sell before my 2022 trip.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I've had a theoretical pair down plan in place for some time but I keep finding rifles I bought long ago and can't seem to let them go without giving them a chance. I discovered 4 that were hiding under my couch just this past winter. I sold several last winter which I'd lost interest in then replaced them with others that peaked my interest. It's a loosing battle.
I've recently been accused by a fellow AR member of being an optics hoarder too.
It'll be a good estate sale.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I'm going in the opposite direction. For a long time (19 to 50 years old) I only had a BDL in 270 Win (on it's 3rd barrel now, many elk, deer, bear etc to it's name) and a 1911 Springfield in 45 ACP. Now between my two sons and I we are closing in on 30 rifles / handguns. No need to thin down, giving all of mine to my sons when my time comes.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote