New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need some "good" rain gear.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got a caribou hunt planned for Sept. and a trip to Alaska planned for next May. Both of the outfitters say I need to bring some "good" rain gear. Being from the south we don't hunt too much in the rain so I need to buy some. I'm thinking something lightweight, that rolls up into a small package and can be worn over my wool pants and shirt. The guy in Alaska recommended Cabelas MT050. What would you suggest???

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#1 a good roof - #2 goretex #3 goretex #4 goretex

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark - On my caribou hunt in AK, I used Cabela's MTO50 light weight rain suit, which included a pullover jacket and pants. Both garmets roll up inside themselves into a small bag. I did not get wet at all. Nice stuff for Goretex.
I also use Rivers West garmets with great success in the wet weather. There are different weight garmets to suite your needs. Their latest product involves LAW technology, which is lighter in weight. This stuff is great too for its very very durable. This is all I wear now. Check out their website www.riverswest.com .

Craig

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone used Helly Hansen rain gear?

http://www.hellyhansengear.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=26_82

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used some Helly Hansen year ago and got wetter from the sweat than the rain. I know things have changed in materials however.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the Rivers West its breatheable, waterproof and durable.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
If you're walking around, I'd go for gortex with zippers/flaps under the arms. If you'll be doing a lot of sitting/spotting, Helley Hansens are hard to beat.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you ever heard of Kool Dry. Money back garentee. If it tares .wares out or anything they will replace it.I used this from Alaska to Africa. Sold by L.L Bean at one Time.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark
I've have or have used everyone of the raingear mention..
Kooldri.. great for fishing in the rain.. makes alot of noise.. Cabela's MT050 and Rivers West great stuff.. They both will work under the same conditions.. MT050 in AK "05" and Scotland "05"..Rivers West MT Nov. "05"..
If weight is a concern Frog Toggs..It will be in my pack in August..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does the MT050 or Helly Hansen gear compare to Frog Toggs?? The local shop has the Frog Toggs, in blue only, and I looked at it yesterday. The Frog Toggs is light and the price aint bad but I wouldn't say it was very quite. On the plus side it will roll up into a small package. I guess the big questions are, will it breath? Will in last in the bush? And will it keep me dry?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark
Frog Toggs will get quiet with use.. The stiffness will leave after the first rainstorm.. It is a early season item for backpacking.. It cuts the wind and rain..As far as an all around raingear..No..MT050 would be your best bet..If it is warm Frogg Toggs..Helly Hanson would be your pick if it was none stop rain day in and day out..Gore..MT050..Rivers West would not be best here.. By the way if your in your Hellys and working up a sweat day in and out their going to put Skull and Crossbones on you as a Bio-Hazard..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark
In Addition, the Frogg Toggs will hold up to the bush..Are they Bush Busters..No..They are stonger than they look..If you do buy them get the next size up in the pants for climbing room getting on Horses..This will be my Third trip with my set..
AK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with a military surplus poncho and backpacked with a lightweight poncho.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wear a loin cloth so the rain runs right off.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a question that can't be answered. I've tried them all and found that what's truly waterproof i.e. H&H will cause you to get soaked with sweat if you move much at all. The kooldri stuff is tough and works but similar in that I always sweated a lot in that stuff. Goretex is fine unless it really pours and pours all day long. It always seems to eventually leak and I've tried a half dozen differnt brands but it's still goretex. My life long experience with hard rain is that you will get wet either by sweat or leakage of some kind or other. I usually carry goretex garments because I'm invariably on the move. If I were to only "sit" in the rain all day I'd go with H&H. If you're in a warm climate and you're caught in a down pour you may be just as well off with clothing made with the new light fast drying materials that will dry themselves when the rain stops...similar to wool. Take dry clothes with you in a water proof container if you want to eventually dry out.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark:

If you want to stay really dry, wear this:

Cabelas MT050 pants and parka. However, also get Cabela's bootless hipboots (the kind that don't have the boot). Hopefully, you have a pair of boots that are Gore-Tex and slightly too big, because you put on a warm sock, polypro long underwear, the Gore-Tex pants, then the hip boots. Now put on the boots.

Also, if weight allows it, bring a stout rain parka, the rubber kind that don't breathe. If it is really raining hard, you put that over your Gore-Tex parka.

In use, the Gore-Tex will allow sweat to pass. The sweat will condense on the inside of the hip boots and the outside parka, but I guarantee that you will be dry and not clammy from sweat.

The bootless hip boots will allow you to walk without getting blisters. If you go with the regular style hip boot, be sure to get a good pair of ankle fits, but to tell the truth, once you wear the bootless ones, you will be sold. The only disadvantage is that the boot will get heavy with water, and they will lose some of their insulation qualities. If you wear gaiters you will be much better off.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help guys! I talked to the Caribou outfitter about this, and a couple of other things, yesterday. My trip is the first of Sept. and he said that the weather could be all over the board at that time of the year. To expect lows around 30 with it warming up to the 60s or maybe even near 70 for the high. To expect some rain or maybe even snow. Which, with a 60 pound weight limit, makes it kind of hard for a Alabama boy to know what to pack??? Anyway, at this point I'm leaning towards the Cabelas MT050 or the Helly Hansen stuff. Either way some of you have said you wear fleece under your rain gear. I got a bunch of wool shirts and pants, but the only fleece I own is a Raven Wear jacket and vest, which I plan to take. So what would you recommend for fleece pants and shirts?? A name brand and/or link would be great. Anyone have any experience with Cabelas Microtex?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link....t=microtex&noImage=0

Thanks!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a look at www.swazi.co.nz
Awsome stuff goretex lined, seam sealed,water\wind proof,made in good olde New Zealand.This stuff anit crap one of my jackets was about $700NZD. I spend 6 days in the pouring rain and stayed 100% warm and dry.
It comes in a few colours including camos.
The guys that owns the company Davey Hughes is a very keen hunter hence why he makes his gear so good,have a look at their site you will be surprised.
Im sure to that it is availalbe in the states if not there always airmail aye Wink

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Almost forgot, recommend you buy a long jacket so when you sit to glass you can have the waterproof fabric beneath you.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the Cabelas MT050. Light weight, quiet and water proof. Layer it over good fleece and you can go from 30-70 pretty easily. For the price I do not think you can beeat LL Bean fleece. Cabelas fleece would be my second choice.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Frog-toggs the last couple years. They have held up well enough, breath enough as long as your not really exerting yourself, and will keep you dry. If your climbing really rough terrain you'll sweat in them, and if your like me you'll sweat no matter what your wearing while climbing!

The Helly's are great for fishing but I've not used them hunting. Not good fit for me. I wind up as wet under them as outside them.

I'm not to impressed with GoreTek stuff to date. Everything I've used has leaked after a while. I will say though I got a 2 in 1 parka ( Remington or Browning) on close out a couple years ago that is Gore-Tek, but I cant remember being poured on while wearing it. It's been fine in the snow. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pick up any outdoor gear catalog. They're full of the stuff. I can't imagine the brand making much difference. Think back 20 years and everything you see new for sale today is great stuff.

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best raingear I've ever used is Peter Storm. I've been using it for 13 or 14 years now. Helly Hansen Impertech is a cheap imitation, same idea, but not quite as good. IMO Kool Dri is way too loud, and anything that claims to be waterproof and breathable won't work after several days of punding rain, Frogg Toggs aren't durable enough for the alder jungles. I have heard good things about Swazi though. I've seen their stuff and think it's good quality gear.

Good thermal underwear and your wool clothing you have would be a good choice. Add a couple pairs of gloves and a warm hat, and you're pretty much ready to go.

The 60 pound limit is a joke, but pretty easy to do if you know exactly what to take. The reason I say it's a joke is that me, weighing 170 can only take 60 pounds, and a guy weighing 220 can take the same.If your outfitter isn't being specific enough for you with his gear recommendations, I'll try to find the list I used to send to my hunting clients. I would send them a big roll top dry bag and a list of stuff to bring. I go a few phone calls and emails from my clients teiing me it couldn't be done, but I did it myself. I can go to hunting camp for a month with about 75 pounds of gear.

Hunter’s Checklist

Personal Gear

( )3-4lb 0-10 degree sleeping bag ( )toothbrush & paste
( )day pack (also used as carry-on luggage) ( )shaving kit
( )small flashlight or headlamp ( )camera and film
( )binoculars
( )knife
( )compression bag for sleeping bag
( )ammunition or arrows

Clothing

( )1 pair light thermal underwear
( )1 pair heavy thermal underwear
( )5 pairs extra wool socks
( )5 pairs extra underwear
( )1 wool jacket
( )1 pair wool pants
( )1 light wool shirt
( )1 lightweight synthetic jacket
( )1 pair light gloves
( )1 pair heavy gloves
( )warm hat (bomber or stocking type)
( )face mask or scarf
( )2 piece waterproof raingear
( )ankle fit hip boots
( )hiking boots or pac boots
( )light hikers for camp shoes

Posts: 141 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i've gotten years of satisfactory service from my Walls Gore-tex rainsuit. It is also one of the cheaper ones mentioned. Never leaked, pretty quiet and very comfortable.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote