New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunslinger55 Tagged His Sheep Today
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got a text and a pic from Gunslinger55; he shot a ram today. I will wait for him to post details and pics if he so chooses but thought I would offer public congratulations now.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Good news!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's got to be a well earned ram.

Good for him.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just back from quite the hunt and ordeal. Waiting to check ram in at game and fish and get it scored. It’s not a monster but a well earned western Arizona desert ram in a unit with apparently very little sheep. Passed up a bigger one opening morning in hopes of a book ram. After 7 days and minimal
Sheep sighting and passing up two smaller rams between the terrain weather and lack of game the next acceptable ram was going to be hunted. That part turned out great 335 yardshot and one packout just dropped off 42 lbs of meat. That 80 lb pack for 2 miles of up and down was quite the experience I hadn’t had in awhile. I don’t know how to post pics so if so if someone wants to let me know. More later

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well earned and well done.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Wow! Very nice. trophy of a lifetime!

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10137 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting! One down 3 to go....

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply fantastic. Well done.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, very nice!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! A bucket list item for sure. Well done sir.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Wow! Very nice. trophy of a lifetime!

I'll say.....Congrats to you, and thanks for the pics. My dream hunt.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Conglads, that's a good ram. "Sheep hunting is an addiction and it's only cure is advancing age." Good luck with the other 3. Bob

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Terrific ram!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding! Congrats!

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful ram!
Huge congrats GS55.
Well done!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Great ram in awesome country!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic ram. You did yourself proud! Good luck on getting some more tags in the future.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. First sheep hunt looking forward to more!

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Kofa refuge 45C was the most pristine Sonoran desert I’ve ever seen that’s for sure!

quote:
Originally posted by dukxdog:
Great ram in awesome country!

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate all the kind words! I’d like to think I could manage the other 3 we shall see...

quote:
Originally posted by Colorado Bob:
Conglads, that's a good ram. "Sheep hunting is an addiction and it's only cure is advancing age." Good luck with the other 3. Bob

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a fantastic ram!! Congratulations! Definitely the things dreams are made of.

Sheep hunting is addicting! Hope you can get the other 3!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well...the desert ram is the hardest to get, absent writing a huge check down in Mexico and dealing with the security issues, is it not?

So now a a Dall and a Stone - those are what? $25K-$30K each all in? - I have no idea as I am not a sheep hunter.

Does Alberta have Rocky Mountain Big Horn?

Just scratch together a spare ~$80K in discretionary money and you are good to go Big Grin

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10137 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Great ram. clap Congrats.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Beauty!
I think the majority of us would have slapped the lead to that guy too.
How many points did it take to draw the tag, just curious.

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. We got Rocky in Arizona so I just need to draw that tag while I can still walk lol
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Well...the desert ram is the hardest to get, absent writing a huge check down in Mexico and dealing with the security issues, is it not?

So now a a Dall and a Stone - those are what? $25K-$30K each all in? - I have no idea as I am not a sheep hunter?

Does Alberta have Rocky Mountain Big Horn?

Just scratch together a spare ~$80K in discretionary money and you are good to go Big Grin

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only a measly 17. Not a unit known for huge rams so it did not take max points. 9 year old ram this is about as big as they get here and the other hunter got an 11 year old smaller. One more hunter in the field as I just picked up my wall tent. He has an army with him so he might do better. Faced with eating your tag or shooting a dink this was a much better option for me and I think it’s just fine. We all would like a book ram but those are hard to come by unless in the “trophy” units or Mexico “farms”. The grueling hunt makes this a real trophy for sure!

group
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
Beauty!
I think the majority of us would have slapped the lead to that guy too.
How many points did it take to draw the tag, just curious.

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
We all would like a book ram but those are hard to come by unless in the “trophy” units or Mexico “farms”. The grueling hunt makes this a real trophy for sure!

That is one beautiful ram with a lot of character. If I ever get the chance I would love to get a sheep like yours. Well done!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Awesome trophy regardless of the score! Congratulations.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
One of the great things about big horns. Any mature ram looks pretty darn good! 99% of hunters couldn't tell the difference between an average and book ram anyway.

Congrats to you. For a lot of us sheep hunting is a pipe dream.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice ram to be proud of for sure
Congratulations

Posts: 1019 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great ram! Congratulations!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! Looks a shoulder pedestal mount it will be!

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunslinger: For the record, he looks plenty big to me.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
9 year old ram this is about as big as they get here

I really like the look of that sheep. I would be interested to know the length and base measurements. He really looks like a great mature ram.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Great looking Ram.

Congratulations!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic job--I doubt many would turn down your ram!! thanks for sharing....

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote