New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your opinion on a Mule Deer hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd like to hear some input on a hunt I have been invited on, to take place in November.

It is in Colorado, on private land, using the tags (for mule deer) that are sold (not drawn) for land owners.

A friend of mine has hunted with this guide for many years, and his main quarry has become "trophy" mule deer, defined as greater than 180 points B&C (and of course on this hunt I can shoot what ever size legal mule deer I want, it's just that whole effort is geared towards finding bigger bucks).

One of the regulars in this hunting group can't attend due to illness, so I was offered his spot.

Total cost is $4,500.

My friend has taken some monster mulies with this guy, so I am impressed by his record so far.

I've never taken a mule deer before, having passed on small specimens in the past.

What do you think?

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like great hunt for Trophy Mule Deer but where in CO, it's a large state. What caliber rifle will you take?I hunted Mule Deer in Colorado with my 30-06 Sako Finnbear and my 300wm Sako Finnsport on public land:BLM,USFS,State Game Lands west of Meeker,CO toward Rangely,CO from 1984 thru 1999 but I'm not a head hunter I prefer large barren does.

One of Us
Picture of Unit5A
posted Hide Post
It really comes down to whether you think it is worth it to YOU.
Personally, I'd have a hard time paying $4500 for anything, unless it was for a T-Rex or something, ha ha.
On the more serious side, consider what comes with it, in service, lodging, food, length of hunt, etc., if anything. That helps make it more affordable/worth it looking in your mind, as well as the enjoyment factor so to say.
You can also do some quick comparison pricing if you want over the net taking all into account if you want; as well as asking for some other referrals to question past hunts on.

"Hunt smart, know your target and beyond"

Posts: 394 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 20 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that the price is on the high end for a 1 week hunt.

The justification is that it's for large bucks, and apparently this outfitter/guide can deliver.
(As a comparison, I can find mule deer hunts for $1,500, although none are defined as trophy type hunts).

I also realize that this is one of those rarified type hunts where the hunter is being very picky about what he shoots.
That is why I thought I'd ask some people here about the prices on a trophy hunt of this type.

Garrett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THat is a fairly low price for a mule deer hunt on a private ranch with the expectation being 180 or better. Most hunts of that type are $6000 or higher.

You get what you pay for in hunting....

Inches = $$$$$

Posts: 10200 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
If in fact 180 and better deal is the 'norm' on that ranch, I think it would be a great deal. 180" deer don't exactly grow on trees reguardless of how well the land is managed.

Good luck if you decide to go.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N. Garrett:
I'd like to hear some input on a hunt I have been invited on, to take place in November.

It is in Colorado, on private land, using the tags (for mule deer) that are sold (not drawn) for land owners.

A friend of mine has hunted with this guide for many years, and his main quarry has become "trophy" mule deer, defined as greater than 180 points B&C ....

Ok, I've read enough. You should go. The price is indeed NOT high. It is a gift. The days of private land mulie hunting via landowner tags will be a thing of the past for less than $10K in the next decade.

If you don't go, I'll be happy to....oh wait, I got drawn. I'll be there in November too.

I highly recommend you go. For 4500.00, you can make your own decision. And I'm willing to bet you'll be a repeat client.

Good luck.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ask yourself a few questions.

1. Is a trophy Mule Deer worth $4500+ to you? Remember if the hunt cost you $4500 ask your buddy what other incidental costs will you run into as well. I'm sure you will get the voucher for the license for the price of the hunt but will you still have to pay $314 for the hunting license and habitat stamps?

2. Am I in good enough physical shape to hunt CO? Remember we are 5000 feet above seal level and only go up from there. While hunting the plains for deer will be easier, if you are hunting the mountains you will probably be 7000 feet or better.

3. If your not in shape can you be by the time of the hunt? Would it be better to wait a year to get into better shape.

4. Will this be a once in a lifetime hunt for you or will the opportunity to go again be there?

I went on a self guided black bear hunt in AK, everything was real affordable until I shot a bear. Then just the process of getting the hide and skull back as well as the taxidermy bill just kept adding to the price of the hunt. I spent about $4500 on the toatal tirp but that included transportation, lodging, meals, new gear, licenses, and taxidermy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the input.

Your insight is exactly what I was looking for.

Yes...this type of mule deer hunt is probably once in a lifetime...most of all since this is a closed group of hunters (who do this every year), and I'm in only due to sickness.

(To let you know, this friend of mine has some type of pronghorn/mule deer fever, and it's all he hunts now. He buys top end rifles only with those 2 animals in mind. I've never had that kind of passion about a particular species).

The incidental costs are $248 for the tags, and gas to get there. Obviously taxidermy and meat processing are extra. They usually bring both the meat and trophies back here to Nashville for mounting/packaging.

I'll tip the amount everyone else does.

Thanks again. I'll probably go.

Garrett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
might check and make sure there is no "trophy fee" after you kill.could make a big difference in the cost of a hunt

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree that the price is on the high end for a 1 week hunt.

The justification is that it's for large bucks, and apparently this outfitter/guide can deliver.
(As a comparison, I can find mule deer hunts for $1,500, although none are defined as trophy type hunts).

I also realize that this is one of those rarified type hunts where the hunter is being very picky about what he shoots.
That is why I thought I'd ask some people here about the prices on a trophy hunt of this type.

Garrett

Trust me, any hunt you can take for $1500 (other than on your own) is best not taken at all.

Now the other hunt could well have some merit.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That $4500 is not just for the mulie. It's for a week's vacation in God's country with a good friend. It's for memories that you'll take to the grave. If you do get that 180+ class deer then that's the bonus.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Go for it. Trophy Mulies are getting harder and harder to come by. November should put you into the rut so get ready and good hunting, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes...this type of mule deer hunt is probably once in a lifetime...most of all since this is a closed group of hunters (who do this every year), and I'm in only due to sickness.

If this is a once in a lifetime hunt & you can afford it, go for it. The price seems OK. I have heard of higher. One bit of advice would be to check out the outfitters references & make sure it is not a rip off operation. Some people operate that way.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are exactly why I'm on Accurate Reloading.

You gave me information that I couldn't get just by searching on the internet (or any other medium), and your opinions are tempered by your own personal experience with hunting.

Thank you again.
I'm going.

Garrett

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Garrett--- DO NOT GO! You will see what you think to be a huge 160 type mule deer and you will NEVER be the same. Those dinky-dog whitetails will then hold no grandeur for you. You will be seen as pathetic next year, begging the "boys" to let you back in the hunt. You might even become a criminal, having accosted one of the group sometime in the night and giving him a once over so his spot will become available.

Seriously, best of luck to you. I'll be there in November also (twice, one for me and a rut hunt for my wife) with my $300 tag and cans of Vienna Sausages. Wouldn't miss it.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Garrett, good luck on the hunt and hopefully this will open up to another invitation in the future. You never know that group might be looking to add another "Musketeer".

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I personally would not pay that much for a mulie hunt but, It's not too much higher than alot of the mulie hunts out there.

I paid 4000 last year to take a 6x6 bull and a 181.5 inch buck while on a combo hunt. I saw about 10+ bucks within the first 30 min and shot the biggest one. If you search and ask enough locals, you can find qaulity hunts at descent prices.

I'm going back with the same outfitter after mulies only this fall for $2500, it's a fully guided 1st class operation.

Good Luck on your hunt

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As an agricultural landowner in Colorado, I'm really curious as to what the outfitter represented to you as landowner tags you could buy. Landowner tags MUST be drawn just like any other limited deer license. Your outfitter may have landowner tags for that unit for sale but they are not over the counter. There are, however, a lot of private-land-only tags that are over the counter but most are doe licenses. A recent revision in the landowner regs does not allow the sale of vouchers to third parties. Like anything else, this reg can be sidestepped by the outfitter having the landowner sell directly to the hunter. Be aware that if you purchase a landowner voucher, that particular landowner MUST grant you reasonable access for hunting. The vouchers offered you may not even have any ties to the ranch you are hunting--they are only unit specific.

Good luck--but get some clarification before you plunk down any money.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plainview,

I apologize that I don't know the details on the landowner tags.

Here is the situation: This group of mule deer hunters gathers every year for very specific mule deer hunts. The location is usually different each year, and the outfitter/guide is the person on the ground who scouts the location. This is the second year at this particular location, as it was so good last year (according to the hunters).
It is where 3 seperate private properties join together, with about 14,000 acres total.
My cost is $4500, plus I have to purchase (there in Colorado) an over the counter tag for $248. (Plus gas for the truck).

I'll see if I can't get a few more details in the meantime.

This sounds like a job for my 35 Whelen Improved singleshot.

Garrett

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The outfitter I hunt with in CO gets several signed LO vouchers from the land owner of the ranch where we hunt. Yes, the LO had to get the vouchers from DOWF. He sends us the vouchers, we sign them and send the money for the tag along with copies of our hunters saftey card and DL. He takes them to the DOWF and they issue the tags. Pretty simple.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No problem--I hope your hunt goes well. I just have a low opinion of the outfitters who operate on private land in my area. Vouchers can be a bit complex and sometimes the devil is in the details.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Private land hunt, your party is the only party on the ranch, cook & 3 meals provided, guides at least 2x1 provided? Lots of details lacking here. What does the $ pay for?

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 931 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thank god i live in montana. for the price of a tag and a gallon or two of gas i get the same opportunities.

having said that, i REALLY hope that you enjoy your hunt. if it's one of the best hunts of your life (quality, good time, trophy potential etc.) then it is worth it! beer

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second that living in Montana. I'd never pay that kind of money to shoot a deer in another state. Too many nice bucks where I live on block mgmt and on public property. Not to mention the numerous surplus doe tags you can buy real cheap as well. I guess if ya got the money at least it's well spent on a worthy cause.

Posts: 101 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote