THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    I seen an interesting thing at the new cabelas in Billings.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I seen an interesting thing at the new cabelas in Billings.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently orderd and recieved some 7mm mag ammo from an individual that works for a subsidiary of a large ammo manufacturer. But yesterday I was at the opening of the Billings Mt. Cabelas, and took a stroll into the gun and ammo dept. All the powder sold out in the first two hours I was told, and componenets were almost nonexistant. I just shruggred and walked to the loaded ammo area. Then I discovered an interesting fact, the same 7mm mag ammo that I got from an employee of the subsidiary of the ammo manufacturer was there in small quantities. And I was almost floored by the price. I had just paid $21 a box for 140 grain loaded ammo,delivered, and on the shelf of Cabelas the exact same ammo was $45.99. More than double. I now your entitled to a profit, but over a 100% markup! Eeker Now some one please explain this to me. Mad

I honestly believe we as hunters and shooters are being had by our own counterparts. There are shelves and shelves of shotgun ammo and shotgun reloading components, but rifle and handgun components are as scarce as hens teeth!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Kudu
You don't think they built that big ol' Cabela's store by selling ammo at cost do ya! bewildered

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not just them, every sporting goods store around here is about the same price, including Wallyworld, within $2 or $3 a box, even if they have any. I just think there is some price gougeing going on. No shortage, just business as usual, normal production, shortage hype, demand goes way up, and prices go out of sight. I am sure glad I had lots of reloading stuff put away from several years ago. There is really no excuse for doubleing the price. I could expect 20% or so, but not over 100%. I never dreamed a $21 box would be marked up to over $45.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
there have been accounts in my area of retail chains going to less popular stores and buying the ammo there only to put it on the shelf for a really outlandinsh price. Makes me quite glad I load my own and am sitting on a several year supply of makings!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is really no excuse for doubleing the price.

If the manufacturers bought copper, brass and lead at the market prices of the past couple years there is,

I see Winchester AA target loads at $10/box now.

Add in the fear based demand causing guys to pay whatever the price.............

Ordinarily we'd suggest handloading to offset high ammo prices but finding primers, brass, bullets and powder right now can be kinda tough.

lol

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
My local shop has powder now, but primers seem to be a problem.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
My local shop has powder now

SSsshhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't say that or there'll be a stampede shame

One of Us
Picture of Wookie316
posted Hide Post
I wanted to see Cabela's when I went to Billings, but it was not open yet. The Sportsmans Wearhouse was a nice substitute though.

Posts: 138 | Location: Border City (On the poor side)}:-( | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gun show in Houston today at the George R. Brown Convention Center....a friend went in w/some of his friends and got several tables....last night he said there were 3 18wheelers being unloaded. It's a little after 5PM here now....bet it's all gone.
I'll post later tonight or tommorrow when I find out how fast it went and at what price.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to a source at a major primer manufacturer they are shipping them out, they just never make it to the shelves or at least not for long. As I understand normal dollar value is @ $8M/yr. By April 09 they had passed $10M and can't come close to meeting demand. All the stories about shortages of materials due to the war, the markets, etc. simply are not true. The only factor affecting availability is unreal consumer demand. If we make it through these hard times there ought to be some component bargains in the on-line auctions afterwards!

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
3 18wheelers being unloaded.

Way better than the stock market and all cash. Unreported.

Think of buying bricks of cheap Win. 22lr at Walmart a couple years ago at $5.67/box of 550.

Walk into any Walmart and wheel the cart back out with 50,000 rounds and nobody says a word.

Go to a gunshow and put em' on the table for $35/box.

lol

one of us
posted Hide Post
While at Cabelas, primers were $5 per 100, and you were limited to three boxes of 100.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not pimping for Cabelas, but do you think, perhaps, that you got a really good deal from your buddy...not a retail price?

BTW, whoever said Cabelas was a discount store? The only bargain in that store is someone else's mistake in the Bargain Cave.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
perhaps, that you got a really good deal from your buddy...not a retail price?

He has been allowed to buy "at cost" for years, prior to this year, I never needed the favor. I usually reload for myself. But when he wanted to split an order I agreed, figured if nothing else I could use the brass. So I took half of what he orderd. He is only allowed so many rounds per year, so as not to be tempted to buy and sell. He swears it is sold at his price. But I have no idea of the cost to get it on the shelf of how many hands it goes thorugh. It just isn't Cabelas, I wasn't picking on them, I have looked in several stores since, Pamida, local mom & pop sporting goods, walmart, and compared. I just never realized there was a mark-up that high. I figured everyone made a few bucks per box, not double. Eeker Other than .22, .45acp, and .40 s&w, this is the first ammo I had bought in years.

I never expect bargains there either, I go for quality and selection, ocassionaly a sale item is cheap. I went the day before the Grand Opening, it was credit card members only and a guest. Roll Eyes Not a bargain to be had, then the next day, in our local paper, a flyer for all kinds of pretty good bargains for the "Grand Opening", which was the next day! Mad Oh well, it is a nice store and it was a nice day for a drive.

I still think we (shooters and hunters) are being hosed by the manufacturer!

I figured current prices on components, if you can find them, I can reload at today's prices for less than $13 a box, that's using brass 10 times. Using my old stuff, bought two years ago. I am less than $8 a box. That is for my 7mm rem mag. And the price of most metals has dropped by over half.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Having been in wholesale and retail sporting goods, I can tell you that IT IS our own manufacturers that stick it to us. Profits are profits, and they get them any way they can, whenever they can (i.e., the advent of the lead vs steel shot scenario). Our own capitalism, plain and simple. However, leave it up to our "good ole boyz" in Washington to tax the Hell outta everything...everything!
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6814 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
I still think we (shooters and hunters) are being hosed by the manufacturer!

Manufacturers don't set the store price. Not like the signs I see for milk and cigarettes: we sell at the state minimum. Nobody's twisting your arm to pay the asking price either.

I remember a chevy dealership's salesman in my locale once said to me when I presented a better price for ordering the same model, "you should actually pay me more...look at this new showroom Penske just built." Guess which finger I showed him on my way out the door?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The most shocking thing I found at Cabelas in St. Louis Missouri Saturday was the empty shelves with little or no ammo, powder or primers. Oh and the only .22 rimfire in quanity was on sale for $24 for 500 winchester bobcats.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At the Billings store there was quite a selection of loaded ammo, no more than 6 boxes of any one load. As for reloading stuff, nill! THe racks with the bags of brass were vitually empty,prices varied, 7mm rem mag, remington brass, was $54.99 a bag.

Ted did you put in for antelope?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are doing it to ourselves by buying and hording...

No one to blame for the pure performance of the law of supply and demand..

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked this question a couple months ago, and I'll ask it again.

Who has done more to absolutely screw you to death since the Sock Monkey was elected president:
1. the democrats and anti-firearms legislation
2. the firearms components industry.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who has done more to absolutely screw you to death since the Sock Monkey was elected president:
1. the democrats and anti-firearms legislation
2. the firearms components industry.

Well there really isn't any anti firearms legislation moving in Congress, HR 45 sits dead with no cosponsors.

The fears aren't being realized.

So it's 'us', as a collective group with our buying frenzy.

And by buying everything on the shelf and hoarding it with calls for more, now, and at any price, the manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers respond by charging more.

Why wouldn't they ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
So it's 'us', as a collective group with our buying frenzy.

There's also a lot of 'them' that bought guns recently and are now one of 'us.' They're stocking up on ammo, too. So it's not just the group of buyers that always bought ammo and reloading supplies but the nouveau gun owners as well. Depending on their disposable income and since they had no past ammo buying experience, they will likely pay Cabelas' inflated prices, not knowing any better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well heck, I work at a large sporting goods store in Billings, and that 7mm mag ammo isn't anywhere near that price at our store. 140 gr Remington is 27.98, Federal is 24.98. Note, this is not federal premium. We had tons of primers this past weekend at 2.89 a sleeve for small rifle, small pistol, and large pistol. Large rifle magnum were 3.29. Maybe the big glossy isn't all it is cracked up to be. Check the old timers ii Billings next time kudu, maybe you will be surprised.
Semper Fi

Posts: 29 | Location: Montana | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally spoke w/my friend who had the table at the Houston show...$1.00/round for 5.56NATO ie 1000rnds for $1000.00.......guess what? Very few takers.
He said few "black rifles" sold, mostly accessories ie rails etc. quite a few pistols too.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, at last weekends Houston show, black rifle sales were very slow. We are reaching a point of buyer/price saturation. Components will follow in time. Primers were averaging $80/1000.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Check the old timers ii Billings next time kudu, maybe you will be surprised.

I did, and I bought a S.A. XDM in a .40 and 4 boxes of Remington .300 Ultra mag for one of my sons at Scheels, then I went over to Big R and bought a couple of bricks of .22, Big R had quite a supply of ammo I noticed. Scheels was still cheaper. I will continue to take your advice! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great, hope you enjoy your new pistol. They are first rate. There are several great sporting goods stores in Billings. I'm not too thrilled with Big R, but they have there pluses. Have a good friend working at Scheels. The new Cabela's has a nice touch to it, but is a bit pricey from what I have heard, and what I have seen.
Semper Fi

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cabelas in Omaha had at least 3 cases of large pistol primers early this week.
I picked up 2 bricks for ~$33 each.

They also had an excellent powder selection. (but no Varget)

Rifle ammunition was readily available in every caliber. Pistol ammo from 9mm and up was in decent supply but outrageously expensive.
No small calibers (.25, .32, 380, etc)

Friends working in retail and for firearm companies have indicated that sales dropped dramatically over the past 4-6 weeks.

I believe the insanity is coming to an end.
The price gougers may have to tighten up their belts in the near future!

Posts: 44 | Location: Midwestern USA | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2drifters:
Well heck, I work at a large sporting goods store in Billings, and that 7mm mag ammo isn't anywhere near that price at our store. 140 gr Remington is 27.98, Federal is 24.98. Note, this is not federal premium. We had tons of primers this past weekend at 2.89 a sleeve for small rifle, small pistol, and large pistol. Large rifle magnum were 3.29. Maybe the big glossy isn't all it is cracked up to be. Check the old timers in Billings next time kudu, maybe you will be surprised.
Semper Fi

How about tellings us which store that is??? I call all Billings gun stores stores just about every week and I'm told "we got nothing". Yesterday, Shiptons told me I had to be on their waiting list and it could be 6 months before I get any from them. Scheels has no clue when they will get any. Big Bear has pistol primers and no clue when they will get any lg rifle primers. Sports Authority = JOKE.
Worthless Warehouse has nothing and says "It's my fault for hording them". Hey dumb azz, how can I hoard them if I can't buy them?

Worthless warehouse won't be in this game for much longer.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
Kudu,
I was at the new store the day before you around 5:30 and the shelves looked good. Primers going fast.

Very interesting was the large amount of loaded ammo including 380, 9mm, 40 S&W, & 45 ACP to name a few.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snapper, I work at Big Bear. As of yesterday, we had large and small pistol primers left. We also have small magnum pistol primers. Had both large rifle magnum, and small rifle primers last weekend. We limited sales to 4 sleeves of each per visit. The supply we had lasted nearly all week. We got some Alliant powder in yesterday. Also some H4350. Hard to say how long it will last though. But things seem to be gradually getting back to normal.
Semper Fi

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add, that employee's were only allowed to buy one sleeve of each. The prices were 2.98 for all but the magnum rifle. They were 3.29 a sleeve.
Semper Fi