Find
Notify
Tools

Las Vegas move considered?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I live out in the Mojave desert a few hours from Vegas and a few hours from LA. Nice place, but the wife is tired of it, and wants to move again.

Have a job interview in Las Vegas next week.

We are going to look at Boulder City and Henderson as the job is on that side of town.

What say you AR Las Vegas knowledge folks.

We move every 8-10 months for promotions with the outfit I work for. Lots of promotion chances for me there, so we might be there a while if everyone can tolerate it.

We have 3 kids in diapers, so schools aren't really a concern right now.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
?

I couldn't be blocked by all of AR.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Brother In-Law lived in Henderson and could not wait to get out of there. Given the surroundings, he had no desire to raise His family down there.

However, if your kids are young and you move frequently, I would look at doing it. Especially, if it will benefit your career in the long run.

However, I would have NO DESIRE to live in that place long term!

But, this is just my opinion!

Posts: 2648 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I live out in the Mojave desert a few hours from Vegas and a few hours from LA. Nice place, but the wife is tired of it, and wants to move again.

Have a job interview in Las Vegas next week.

We are going to look at Boulder City and Henderson as the job is on that side of town.

What say you AR Las Vegas knowledge folks.

We move every 8-10 months for promotions with the outfit I work for. Lots of promotion chances for me there, so we might be there a while if everyone can tolerate it.

We have 3 kids in diapers, so schools aren't really a concern right now.

Boulder City does not allow slot machines, it's the closest thing to a normal town in that part of Nevada. There is a fair amount of tourist traffic, and bighorn sheep can be seen now and then at the overlooks.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
talk to GeorgeS...

Rich

PS: how close are you to the phone booth?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Here's my 2 centavos worth: We've lived in Las Vegas for 33 years. We've raised 5 kids (three boys and two girls) who are all now adults, have all graduated from college, married and have their own families. Some live here and some live in surrounding states due to employment and other opportunities. We've found Vegas to be, to a large extent, just like any other place. Moreover, it's what and how you decide to make of it. We've lived in the Northwest part of the Valley and prefer that area. We've seen people come and go, many from Utah who feel out of place living in "Sin City", and attempt by every effort to return to Utah. Being originally from Utah, we have discovered that the problems are just as keen up there as they are here-maybe just not as visible. Good luck in your decision.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

We have crappier cell phone service than anywhere other than the road between Wasilla and Whitehorse.

We are more remote than anyplace I can think of in the lower 48 other than the road between Casper and Shoshone, WY.

Use Enough Gun,

Thanks! We are not Mormons and that part of it doesn't bother us. The kids will go to Greek School, Catholic School or Montessori depending on what is available.

I have a couple of interviews in the next few weeks. Won't know anything for a while as it is all internal. Southern Idaho is another option.

I retired from the military and I am trying to go as far as I can go before the ageist decide I am no longer promotable.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
This looks like an opportunity to ask you locals a question. Wink Took this pic off the highway between Vegas and Beatty, think a way past Mercury. I'm Curious about what they are mining here? The actual color is a much deeper purple than the photo shows. Thanks

Think If I lived in Vegas, I'd be getting a concealed carry permit, sounds like a violent place. Belive it or not, somebody shot himself dead in the Buffet line at the Mirage, when we were there last week. Reason given by the local TV, they cancelled his life time buffet priviledges, cause he was abusing the staff ???

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Sis and BIL have been in Las Vegas for 20 years. Housing took a huge hit in 2008, as much as %50, There are still 1/2 empty strip malls here and there and tons of foreclosure homes.

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a couple of interviews in the next few weeks. Won't know anything for a while as it is all internal. Southern Idaho is another option.

Nice fishing in the local irrigation reservoirs around Preston, ID.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14441 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Griz,

If you think Las Vegas is violent, you should check out the news from Albuquerque sometime. It's one of the most violent cities in the U.S. Vegas would be a great place to live or retire.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just turned down a job in Albaqurque. My old boss CDR Lopez was from there. He told me it had gotten to be a bad place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Now you are talking! That is where I would go. 45 minutes from where I grew up! I love that area!

Posts: 2648 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BWW

I tried answer your PM but it bounced back to me. To answer your question Boulder is more expensive by a bunch and the housing inventory is pretty limited. Housing market has really picked up here in Vegas so if you want something you need to make an offer. Prices have gone up since I started looking 3+ years ago but not outrageously so. I'm in NW Vegas and if my assessment after only a week is worth anything it seems to be a fine place to live. I have not met one person yet that was not friendly and helpful.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12926 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark,

I'll give you a call if they end up moving us.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
17 years ago I had the opportunity to move to LV but my ego got in the way and it didn't work out.

Anyway, I had a relocation firm chauffeur me all around the city and surrounding towns, Henderson, boulder City, Green-something, I forget them all, but the area I like the best was an area known as Summerlin in NW LV. It is a master plan community.. part of Howard Hughes 27,000 acre estate. It was clean, beautiful, and at the time, very affordable. In retrospect, I wish I had gone, I would have left by now, but there were a lot of advantages I missed by not going. Financial and otherwise.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interview went well, but it has been a couple weeks of interviews.

I read a lot about age discrimination in jobs, and I know quite a few people who can't go up any farther based on that alone.

Goal is to get as far as we can get before they consider me to be not worthy of promotion anymore.

Seems I have about 10 years left to get as far as I can get.

Enjoying retirement from the military. When I first joined AR about 18 years ago I never thought I would make it to this point in my life.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interview went well, but it has been a couple weeks of interviews.

I read a lot about age discrimination in jobs, and I know quite a few people who can't go up any farther based on that alone.

Goal is to get as far as we can get before they consider me to be not worthy of promotion anymore.

Seems I have about 10 years left to get as far as I can get.

Enjoying retirement from the military. When I first joined AR about 18 years ago I never thought I would make it to this point in my life.

BWW:

Not sure if this is an interview with your current employer to a different one, but if it is a different employer, I do think age discrimination is real, for the simple reason that medical costs skyrocket as you get older. I have hired several people in their 50s, and let me tell you, their premiums for our group plan is stunning. Since I pay 100 percent of that, it is a major hit. So I work with my employees; one is an ANG pilot who gets his insurance from the Guard. My latest hire is a guy in his mid 50s who is solid, but the premiums for him and his wife are insane - like 24K per year. So he will decline our coverage and get it from his wife's job. In turn, he will join us for a significant jump in pay.

Not to derail the conversation, but I also employee Canadians. Ironically, it is far easier for me to hire them than Americans - and cheaper too since I don't have to pay for their health insurance, nor are there 50 different sets of state laws I have to follow. Case in point: a woman whose husband is a USAF pilot who just PCS'd to Hawaii - I have to pay mandatory TDI. Not a big cost, but a total pain in the ass.

This won't sit well with many, but I would just as soon expand Medicare to everyone; if you want your own private insurance, then pay for it, but it should not be part of employment.

So at the end of the day, if you have Tricare, you might want to point out that you would be decline health insurance.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Employer is the same, and I already envoked Tricare the day after I retire, so as long as I send them $450 a year for the whole family we are taken care of. Absolute stunner of a good deal when it is compared to any other policy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Employer is the same, and I already envoked Tricare the day after I retire, so as long as I send them $450 a year for the whole family we are taken care of. Absolute stunner of a good deal when it is compared to any other policy.

And no complaints from me about my high taxes - just gratitude.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The rock in the photo is red aggregate that is used for planters, decoration. That mountain on the east side of the highway was a lot bigger when I first moved to LV. Betty has a gas station on the west side that has the best candy in the world. Death Valley is close. Goldfield, between Betty and Tonopah, is an old gold mining town with an incredible abandoned hotel.

I have a guaranteed way to win at the slots.
Buy an old IGT machine and install it in your front room as I did. Makes a great kid-sitter. Handful of quarters and the kids will pull the handle for hours.

Posts: 385 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live on the California side 50 miles from Death Valley.

I guess if you like to take photos of flowers and rocks it is probably ok.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
look at the northwest part of the L.V. valley.

stay out of S.E. Idaho.
the fishing sucks, it's cold, and it snows here.
the hunting is about as bad as I have seen anywhere unless you know someone that'll let you hunt their hay field. [good luck there]
the people here are jerks.
they expect you to show up to church every sunday, heaven help you if you don't.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:

stay out of S.E. Idaho.
the hunting is about as bad as I have seen anywhere unless you know someone that'll let you hunt their hay field. [good luck there]
they expect you to show up to church every sunday, heaven help you if you don't.

if you add huge mosquitoes it is look like yukon lol ...

Posts: 1797 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:

stay out of S.E. Idaho.

if you add huge mosquitoes it is look like yukon lol ...

Think I prefer mosquitoes to scorpions. WinkLittle yellow ones are supposedly quite common in Vegas, we were told.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw this so not sure my input will be of any value.

If you are an outdoorsman and enjoy hunting then don't move here to Nevada. With the exception of mountain lion tags all big game tags are on a lottery draw. It will take years to build up enough points to draw anything. I've been trying since I have moved here in 2004. Since you live out in the Mojave already then you will be pretty much used to the climate so that's not an issue.
I don't know that crime is any worse or less than any other city it's size in the rest of the country.

The housing market is starting to come back which is good for those who lost as much as half the value of their homes.
If at all possible stay out of master planned communities and Home Owner Associations. I have learned the hard way and will never do it again. They have taken the joy of owning a home away from the wife and I. It's always something with these clowns. Pull a weed, trim your tree, garbage can left out more than 12 hours, garage door left open longer than it should be, washing your car in your driveway. The list goes on and on. Like I said never again.

The wife and I will be looking to move elsewhere soon.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Value is quite good, I am still waiting on HR, but this outfit is slow.

They are giving us quite a few options, the interviews are over and we just wait, it is how it works though.

The job is in Boulder, and I don't want more than a 15 minute commute. Hopefully I can find what we will need in that area.

I am with you on HOAs. They suck, I live in a horrible one now, with some bitch down the block that thinks it is her job to complain about everything you talked about.

She knocked on the door a few days ago and I opened it before I realized it was her. She wanted to complain that the plumber was parked outside my house on my parking spot.

In her 60's retired, and just a pain in the ass.