Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

antelope hunting in New Mexico
 Login/Join

posted
I have two antelope fully guided hunts in unit 57 east of Raton New Mexico. The bucks over the last 3 years have avg. mid 70s BandC. I am selling these hunts for $2000.00 that will include guide, lodging, and food.

Posts: 22 | Location: Model, Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We traveled to Raton this year to hunt mulies, and saw some dandy pronghorn bucks around Clayton.

That should be a great area!!...sakofan...

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako,

How was the deer hunting?

Drum

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody jumped on this hunt yet???

I emailed you F.concolor.....This hunt sounds like me!! ...sakofan..

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Sako,

How was the deer hunting?

Drum

Drummond, we got skunked!! Never saw a shooter the whole 5 days. The biggest deer we saw was a small 4 point. About a million does, and some spikes.

We hunted at Brilliant Canyon Ranch just outside Raton.
Joe is a wonderful guide and host. Never had that much fun without killing something in my life. Some big deer have been taken and seen on that ranch. The day we arrived, Joe saw 3 bucks standing together before he picked us up in town. One being about a 150 he said. He has seen some 200 plus mulies from time to time. Saw a picture of a 176 class buck killed on the "Wall of Fame". I guess me and my partner made the "Wall Of Shame". LOL..Oh well, thats why they call it hunting, and not gutting and skinning.

We opted to hunt the 12 Nov. to 16 Nov. season to try to catch the rut. But, I think we missed it.

Tremendous elk population. The elk herds are just plain crazy out there. Excellant place to score a 300 plus bull...sakofan..

one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, you guys are getting me excited!

I already have an antelope hunt booked with another outfitter very close to Raton for this fall. I have been told by a number of people that this area of New Mexico supports a great herd of quality antelope. I can hardly wait.

If somebody wants a good antelope hunt, this area is supposed to be the place to go. I have seen some TV footage of hunting at the NRA's Whittington Center and they collected some great antelope.

New Mexico is a state that I had not considered hunting all that much till I started hunting elk down there a few years back. There is some great hunting to be had in New Mexico.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I thought one (out of state resident) had to be drawn first to hunt Antelope in New Mexico. Am I mistaken?

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I've sent you an email. A friend of mine and I are interested in booking the hunt, subject to talking with you about the details. Give me a call when you get the email.
Forrest Bruch

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can buy landowner permits in NM without entering the draw.
The outfitters usually set up a deal with the landowner(s) to buy some or all of the landowner tags and then there is a small fee (small for residents anyway) to put the tag in the hunters name.

Posts: 226 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Landowners in NM are granted "authorizations" from the Game and Fish. The holder of the authorization can purchase a pronghorn tag from the state without going through the draw system. Outfitters (or Joe Blow the hunter) can purchase these authorizations from the landowner and use them to obtain the license from the state. There are two costs associated with hunting a private land antelope: 1) the price of the authorization (ranges from $500-$2500 or so), and 2) the price of the tag from the state ($39 for residents, $202 for non-residents). There is also the public draw, in which you throw in with all the other monkeys and hope you get lucky. For these tags, you pay only the license fee to the state. If you draw, you are assigned to a ranch on which you must remain unless reassigned by a local (or in charge) game warden.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also the game warden will usually "find" you sometime on the first day of the hunt (if you don't already have one by noon ).
They are very good about moving you if the 'lopes are scarce that week on your assigned ranch.

Posts: 226 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Forrest and anyone else interested in this hunt,

I have hunted with this fellow many times and he conducts a very professional hunt. He has good areas and this ranch is full of good to great antelope. I have never hunted antelope with him for more than 1/2 a day and have killed some dandies. The rest of the time we had fun hunting coyotes and praire dogs or spotting game for other hunters. He is a joy to hunt with and a wealth of information about many topics if you can overcome the strong Texas drawl. :-)

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I enjoy hunting with Perry. We are going to do a javelina hunt the last week of May together. I have several people interested in the hunt, nobody has booked for sure. The Brillant Canyon is a beautiful ranch. I lion hunt all of the ranchs for lions just north of that Brillant Canyon Ranch on the Colorado side. That area is not much for deer, but great for elk. If you are still looking for big mulies look on eastern plains of Colorado or western Kansas. There are plenty of 180 to 200 inch bucks still left. West of Raton and Trinidad is better for elk and not large deer.

Posts: 22 | Location: Model, Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote