New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 v. .338 WM
 Login/Join

<Red Green>
posted
I've got a Parker-Hale 1200 with a shot-out 7mm mag. barrel. I'd like to put a bigger bore on it for boar and elk (I use a .270 Win. for deer). I'm tossing around either a .338 Win. mag. chambered barrel or a 9.3x62mm chambered barrel. What I don't know is if the boltface would have to be modified for the 9.3 case. Anyone know? I've searched on-line in vain for 9.3x62 specs and can find none.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
9.3x62 has 0.473" base. This is smaller than base of .338 Winnie.

------------------

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Red Green>
posted
Roger,

Thanks for the info. I thought as such, but I wasn't sure.

What I'd really like to do is buy a CZ 550 Lux in 9.3x62mm and rebarrel the P-H action to something like a .257 Wby or a .264 Win. mag, but it's just not in the budget at the moment.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Red,
If you are looking for a screamer why don't you go to www.arnoldarms.com and check out his ".264 Arnold" which is just the 6.5x300 Winnie? Have them stick on a 30" heavy tube and you'd be good to go!

------------------

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don�t want to shoot much beyond ~ 225 yds, the 9.3x62 will do perfectly. Heavy bullets if you want them, lots of penetration, no action alteration, very manageable recoil.

On distances over 225 yds the .338 has a flatter trajectory and the 9.3x62�s bullet get slow ...

But you have a belted case to reload, more powder, more recoil.

Take your choice ( or get both :-) )

Good shooting! Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
I thought you wanted either the 9.3 or .338. The .257 weatherby and .264 win. mag would not be as thumping for elk as the first two. Weatherby now sells .338-06 ammo with the 210 grain nosler partition that is quite flat shooting.

posted Hide Post
Red green,

How about the 9.3mmx64 Brenneke instead? It is equivalent to the .375H&H in terms of ballistics, and should fit in your action.

Redleg155 has worked with this cartridge, and can probably give you some helpful info.

There is a recent thread on the 9.3x64; why not check it out and see if it sounds right for you.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

[This message has been edited by GeorgeS (edited 01-19-2002).]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Base diameter for the 338 is .532", same as the 7 mag was. Base diameter for the 9.3 x 62 is .473", for the 9.3 x 64 it is .496". So it looks like you'll have to go with something based on an American Mag case. There is the 9.3 American, the 9.3-338, and the 9.3-300 Win Mag. Or just go with the 257 or 264 and wait for another action to work on, preferably with an '06 sized bolt head. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x62 is one of my favorite rounds but the 338 Win. is probably a better round, when all is said and done...

I have both and sure like them. I can't tell any difference in killing power between the 9.3x62, 9.3x64,338Win and the 375 H&H for all practical purposes. The 338 Win has the edge in range and thats about the only difference that I can actually see.

One thing for sure is that certainly is an impressive lineup of fine cartridges..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
from what I gather the 9.3x62 brass is very similar to the .30-06 and can in effect be made from it if required. For me, the nod would go towards the 9.3x62 over the 338Win Mag...Why? just prefer a larger caliber heavier bullet at more moderate velocities..

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Red Green>
posted
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the info/suggestions.

I currently own a .270 Win. and two small bore rifles. The latter two I use for coyote hunting, the first for deer. I would like to do more elk hunting than I do (once in the last three years), and although I feel confident my 270 would take an elk with the proper bullet, I would feel much more comfortable with a cartridge that has a bullet with a little more size and weight.

I've been given to understand that the 9.3x62 offers more of a push than a kick, but I have to admit I've never shot one.

I have, however, shot both a .338 WM and a .375 H&H, and the recoil on the old H&H was much more manageable than the 338. The 338 wasn't bad, but the 375 was better. I'm hoping the 9.3x62 is even better yet and therefore will be good for use in a lighter rifle. My only limitation is the Parker-Hale action.

The 257 Wby and 264 would be mostly for fun, and although both have more range than my 270, I still don't take shots much longer than 250 yards, and the 270 works well for me with my range limitations. I can't justify either one, but that's never stopped me before.