New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best place to live and hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This subject has been touched on before with certain limitations. I am retired and don't need an income. I am looking to relocate to an area to spend the rest of my life enjoying the outdoors and especially hunting. It would be of great satisfaction to smell the gun powder on regular bases and burn the barrels out on all my guns. I don't want to spend three days on the road each way just to hunt one species. If I live in the best hunting area and I have to play the point system for years to get a tag it has zero value to me. Boone and Crocket record book type animals don't mean anything either. Quality hunting with beautiful mountain scenery in the company of friends is it. No hunting area that turns into a zoo opening day with large amounts of atv jockey's that never seem to get off their bikes and hike in. Atv's are fine if used judiciously. I have horses and don't mind packing in. Mule deer is at the top of my list, elk, moose, caribou, mt. goat, bighorn. I have red bone coon hounds and would love to chase predators of all varieties thereby extending my season. Little wild bird hunting and not the type, the dog catches half of the penn raised ones. Don't mean to insult anyone's style it is just my preference. Little stream or alpine lake trout fishing would be a bonus. Pro gun area, conservative, patriotic and God fearing.
Semper Fi
Charles

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Wow
That's a tall order in this day and age. I'll be watching this post closely as I'm not too too many years away from a retirement as well, live in Colorado now and seems like hunting season is far too brief and too hard to draw tags to keep hunting every year.
coffee

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlfguns:
This subject has been touched on before with certain limitations. I am retired and don't need an income. I am looking to relocate to an area to spend the rest of my life enjoying the outdoors and especially hunting. It would be of great satisfaction to smell the gun powder on regular bases and burn the barrels out on all my guns. I don't want to spend three days on the road each way just to hunt one species. If I live in the best hunting area and I have to play the point system for years to get a tag it has zero value to me. Boone and Crocket record book type animals don't mean anything either. Quality hunting with beautiful mountain scenery in the company of friends is it. No hunting area that turns into a zoo opening day with large amounts of atv jockey's that never seem to get off their bikes and hike in. Atv's are fine if used judiciously. I have horses and don't mind packing in. Mule deer is at the top of my list, elk, moose, caribou, mt. goat, bighorn. I have red bone coon hounds and would love to chase predators of all varieties thereby extending my season. Little wild bird hunting and not the type, the dog catches half of the penn raised ones. Don't mean to insult anyone's style it is just my preference. Little stream or alpine lake trout fishing would be a bonus. Pro gun area, conservative, patriotic and God fearing.
Semper Fi
Charles

This pretty much describes Wyoming.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho...

Think of Wyoming without the gates across the Interstate at nearly every exit. They are there so too many people don't get stranded on it and die in the blizzards(plural) in the winter. There's a reason the population is so small. The word "Inhospitable" comes to mind.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Boddington wrote an article in this month's Petersens Hunting on this very subject.
Alaska is probably your first choice followed by Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say that you should investigate an area you like and do the following---

buy property
build a house
create your own preserve but, using state hunting laws
enjoy yourself

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Lincoln County in the upper left hand corner of Montana. World class fishing, Kootenai River and Lake Koocanusa and all kinds of small lakes and streams. Elk, Moose, Whitetail, mule deer, black bear, bighorn sheep, mt goat, grizzly, wolf, exceptional mt lion numbers. Lots of turkeys and grouse. Fair amount of geese and ducks if you work for them. Only thing missing is caribou and pronghorn! Also probably the longest hunting seasons in the country God I love this place.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't offer the scenery of the mountain states, but according to your list of priorities, and the fact you have some $$$ to spend, you can hunt big game 365 days a year here in Texas. 99% private land, but contrary to popular opinion, the vast majority is low fenced/free range. We have some awfully big mule deer as well.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
mlfguns, Good Luck, Such a place as you want does not exist anymore.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You described the Colorado of my youth. Sadly, unlimited immigration by the transplanted idiots from CA have pretty much ruined the state.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Montana: Last Best Place

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you for your input. Alaska, Montana, Idaho and wyoming seem to be the aces. Hopefully some more members will feel free to chime in. If you feel a certain county is worthy of mention feel free to let us know. I am sure there are others in the same boat I am in.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
By the calendar year in rural AK; January sucks. February and March has some pretty good snowmachining, some hunting for ptarmigan and caribou. April and May brings the spring bears as well as spring waterfowl hunting. June, July and August are dedicated to fishing, but in some cases sheep, caribou and other big game are pursued. September is for moose and bear. October is for waterfowl and fishing, November and December are for spending in Baja Mexico.

Alaska isn't "A Gun State," its "The Gun State." No other is more free that AK.

Posts: 9101 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Semper Fi
Charles

You just described eastern Montana. Billings, Miles City, Glendive all fit the bill nicely for everything you're looking for.

Posts: 3856 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Northwest Colorado answers pretty much all of your requirements. There are large amounts of public land with a good amount of game. Elk hunting is world class, plenty of pronghorn and mule deer. Sheep and goat hunting not too far away, but not many tags available. I have successfully hunted deer, elk and pronghorn within a 1/2 hour of my house (in Craig, America).

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TommyII:
You described the Colorado of my youth. Sadly, unlimited immigration by the transplanted idiots from CA have pretty much ruined the state.

When the idiots from CA move to Colorado, it raises the IQ of both states.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
British Columbia is your place.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe you are asking a lot. With my experience in the West, and regardless of the state, you will have to give and take to a degree.

I live in Utah, on the border of Wyoming and Idaho.

I have asked myself this question a lot. If it was me, and I had no family ties to Utah, I would probably choose Idaho. There are so many big game hunting opportunities, that it would be hard to beat.

Over the counter Bear, Elk, and deer tags! However, the elk trophy quality is not as good as some of the other states.

I love the quality of life in Utah, know some great people in Wyoming and have family in Utah and Idaho. So, for the states that I know, I would rank as follows (for hunting):

1- Idaho
2- Wyoming
3- Utah

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
British Columbia is your place.

+1 tu2

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:

AHH ha ha haa haa haaa! perfect response. after your excellent reply, I am embarrassed that all I did was to put him on my ignore list.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Idiots from the Mid-Atlantic states and Great Lakes states moved to California and ruined it within two generations. Their children, along with their cohorts from the Mid-Atlantic states and Great Lakes states, moved to Colorado to turn it blue. They're now doing the same to Texas.

Just remember, there aren't enough California left wingers moving from California to Colorado or Texas to turn them blue without help from their Mid-Atlantic and Great Lakes states cohorts.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the lower 48 states, the northern inter mountain west seems to consistently be listed. Idaho, Mt., Wy. I guess if you live at the right spot it can be pretty close to hop over to the neighboring states to get your fill.
Where can you pick up a Mt. goat or bighorn tag fairly consistently and not once in a lifetime deal. Or is that a pipe dream.
Does anyone from South Dakota have any input.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyone that thinks the cesspool known as CA is a good place is beyond stupid. Look at your elected officials: Pelosi, Boxer, Waxman, Waters, Davis, Brown, Feinstein etc... Best thing for the nation would be to set off a nuke along the fault line and send CA out to sea.

I'd like to see them build a fence around that state and shoot anyone that tries to leave. Fix the issues in your own sewer rather than export your idiots to other states.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Anyone that thinks the cesspool known as CA is a good place is beyond stupid. Look at your elected officials: Pelosi, Boxer, Waxman, Waters, Davis, Brown, Feinstein etc... Best thing for the nation would be to set off a nuke along the fault line and send CA out to sea.

I'd like to see them build a fence around that state and shoot anyone that tries to leave. Fix the issues in your own sewer rather than export your idiots to other states.

My point proven.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There's an old bumper-sticker that reads "Welcome to California, now go home."

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14379 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I lived in the "Bush" in Alaska for 22 years in the same place Scott King does and the outdoor opportunities for a resident are wonderful there. Having said that if I were to pick a place just for the hunting and fishing I might seriously consider moving to B.C. and becoming a citizen. The outdoor activity choices are many and you have much better road access than in Alaska. If you are considering staying in the Lower 48 only then Wyoming should jump to the top of the list. Great hunting and fishing, beautiful mountains and a fairly low cost of living with very few people.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Idaho...

Think of Wyoming without the gates across the Interstate at nearly every exit. They are there so too many people don't get stranded on it and die in the blizzards(plural) in the winter. There's a reason the population is so small. The word "Inhospitable" comes to mind.

Rich

Rich forgot to mention the wind in Wyoming: it blows constantly. Only an idiot would move here.

Plus, if you move to Idaho you can have Rich as a neighbor.
Smiler

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With over 82,xxx square miles of Idaho to choose from, you could live near or 500 miles away from me. There is plenty of space to go around...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Where can you pick up a Mt. goat or bighorn tag fairly consistently and not once in a lifetime deal. Or is that a pipe dream.

Not Montana. I've applied as a resident (and with maximum "bonus points" since they started them) every year for Sheep, Moose, and Goat permits. Its been 26 years since I drew a Moose permit, 31 years without a Bighorn, and 36 years without a goat permit.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Idaho...

Rich

Rich forgot to mention the wind in Wyoming: it blows constantly. Only an idiot would move here.

Plus, if you move to Idaho you can have Rich as a neighbor.
Smiler

BUT...He can help guide you to 30, 350 class bull elk. That would be amazing.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3396 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
buffybr thanks for sharing. I think you made up my mind on MT.
Mark H Young thanks for sharing your experience and wisdom.
I have a feeling B.C. is the place to be if you want the higher animal density and special tags with regularity. Such as: Nelson big horn, Moose, Grizzly, Mt. goat,lion, wolf,caribou,etc..

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I lived in the "Bush" in Alaska for 22 years in the same place Scott King does and the outdoor opportunities for a resident are wonderful there. Having said that if I were to pick a place just for the hunting and fishing I might seriously consider moving to B.C. and becoming a citizen. The outdoor activity choices are many and you have much better road access than in Alaska. If you are considering staying in the Lower 48 only then Wyoming should jump to the top of the list. Great hunting and fishing, beautiful mountains and a fairly low cost of living with very few people.

Mark

My .02 since I too have lived where Mark mentions and Scott resides. Still have close friends there. It's a paradise with a price. The cost of living is now brutal. I had a 20 foot Wooldrige with a 200 HP Yamaha on the back when I left there gas was 1.36/gal. If I were there now I couldn't afford to fill the 100 gallon onboard tanks. Of course Joyce and I could easily resort back to an 18 Lund with a 40 HP kicker.

That said, getting to and from a place like Dillingham when the inevitable need for resupply or family visits occur is also now cost prohibitive.

But I'll repeat, it's a paradise.

I now live on the Road system on a hillside in Anchorage. Life is easier and less expensive. I can enjoy the outdoors by walking out my back door, hitting a trail, and disappearing into the 770 square mile "backyard".

Hunting will cost you sweat, luck, or money when you live on the road system. There are many other hunters trying to vie for the same game. If you sweat you can weed out some riff raff. If you pay for a fly in or float trip same result. If you luck out with a drawing permit odds improve.

I will retire in December and Joyce already has. We will be staying in Alaska.

It's retirement friendly with no State Income Tax (You are actually paid to live here - Permanent Fund Dividend Check annually), no sales tax in Anchorage, Property taxes can be steep but they are much lower the further away from Anchorage you get.

Our winters are more manageable than most places in the lower 48 and we don't need air conditioning. There also seems to be less of the "Nanny State Attitude" that's taking over the lower 48 with Government intrusion into your daily life.

Also if I did move somewhere else I wouldn't buy land or property until a rented there for a year as a test drive.

Again, my .02

My "backyard"

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Frostbit
You make that sound pretty tempting, really.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lived in Alaska for well over 30 years and don't regret a minute of it. But after moving out 16 months ago I would never go back simply due to the cost of living.
I had no idea how expensive it was to live there until we moved out and got settled in the lower 48.
Unless you live in the bush (where the cost of living is super high) hunting is expensive unless you get super lucky with draws. My last trip up the Yukon and Koyukuk cost almost $5,000 in gas alone and that was 3 years ago. The memories of those trips are priceless but you can only do it so many times.
One weekend trip to Homer to catch Halibut usually ended up costing $400-$500 just in diesel fuel for the truck and boat gas. And that doesn't factor in the cost of the truck or boat.
To give you another example, the annual property taxes on the 42 acres of land we just purchased in Tennessee are 50% less than what we paid on our house in Eagle River for ONE month. The local TN tax man told me the taxes will go up another $250 a year once we build our house on the property.

I think if I were the OP looking for an area to live, it would be in either Idaho, WY, or MT. But I have nothing to back this up other than from what I have read and one hunting trip to Idaho.

PS: I applied for various hunting permits in Alaska every year since 1977 until 2012 and was never drawn for one. So don't think they are easy to get.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Well if you are going to stay in the US, I would pick Alaska, in the lower 48 it would be Montana or Wyoming, followed by Idaho or Utah. If Canada was an option I would pick the Yukon. British Columbia has the most species if that is the concern and is most peoples number one choice, but there are way too many people there now and less and less remote country due to logging, mining/oil/gas.

The Yukon has two types of caribou, two sheep, goats, Alaska-Yukon moose, elk, grizzly, black bear, polar bear, wolf, a few whitetail and mules, excellent wood bison. Also coyotes and wolverine. Not too shabby. And a very small population……….. the fewer people there are the better I like it. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1811 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all your input. After this fall hunting season, I will hit the road in ernest trying to find my piece of the pie. God willing, next spring I will sell my place, relocate to my favorite found spot. Rent for a year or so and if things feel right. I will purchase a piece of property, build to my need and live.
I have hunted Alaska a couple of times. A float trip for moose on the Alagnak river out of King Salmon. Also a fly in drop camp out of Tok towards Robertson's Glacier. I had the time of my life on both trips. Alaska is without question, a slice of heaven. As has been eluded towards the cost of living and road access. I totally get you and will heed your genuine concern.
I will be checking all of the mentioned top states including Western Canada and will see where the next adventure will lead to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a question for you Canadians. If a US citizen moved to the Yukon when would they be considered a "resident" and be able to hunt without a guide and be able to buy a resident license?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:

Mark

I was waiting for someone to suggest Alberta or BC, both have great hunting but BC wins fishing hands down.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
I have a question for you Canadians. If a US citizen moved to the Yukon when would they be considered a "resident" and be able to hunt without a guide and be able to buy a resident license?

Most provinces consider you a resident after 6 monthes, but I seem to remember the NWT & Yukon it's 3 years.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
I appreciate all your input. After this fall hunting season, I will hit the road in ernest trying to find my piece of the pie. God willing, next spring I will sell my place, relocate to my favorite found spot. Rent for a year or so and if things feel right. I will purchase a piece of property, build to my need and live.
I have hunted Alaska a couple of times. A float trip for moose on the Alagnak river out of King Salmon. Also a fly in drop camp out of Tok towards Robertson's Glacier. I had the time of my life on both trips. Alaska is without question, a slice of heaven. As has been eluded towards the cost of living and road access. I totally get you and will heed your genuine concern.
I will be checking all of the mentioned top states including Western Canada and will see where the next adventure will lead to.

Thanks for starting this thread. I hope you keep us updated and if you need any questions answered about Alaska don't hesitate to PM. I'll gladly give you my number to chat on the phone.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote