New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horseback elk?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My son and I are considering a back country elk hunt. We don't have to kill the biggest bull in the woods but we would like to see some animals. Guided would be preferred. Who has had a good experience with this type of hunt? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Try Colpark Outfitters in Colorado. Google them up and you will find them and their website.
Real nice people give Mike a call and tell them where the referral came from.
Good luck on your hunt!

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
D Hunter, you have a PM
Good Hunting
Raff

Posts: 459 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out http://www.wolverinecreek.com/

If you want serious back country and a lot of bulls, this would be a good choice.

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give Harold Turner a call at the Triangle X Ranch (307 733-2183)in Moose WY. They hunt the Teton Wilderness areas South of Yellowstone Park. Beautiful country, with lots of Elk. It is a family operation that has been hunting that area better than 50 yrs.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on the Triangle X in Wyoming. Had several great hunts with them and the scenery is spectacular.

Regards, D. Nelson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where exactly is ththe Triangle X ranch. We have done the cow hunt right around moran junction, uhl hill, Schoolhouse ridge. Thanks

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
"D",

I have a very good outfit in Wyoming that hunts the Wind River Range. They have good stock, nice traditional tented camps and plenty of elk. They often have left over elk tags in July.

If you are interested in them let me know.

ann@aspenhilladventures.com

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
For truly "back country" you only have a few choices and you have to be selective between Wyoming, Montana and Idaho. I've hunted most of the Rockies and by far the better such experience is Wyoming and that pretty well leads you to the area around Yellowstone. The best spot would be areas out of Cody though I've also hunted the southern park line as well. I've been hunting the area for about 16 years and have done pack-ins ranging from 10 miles to 30+ miles. I have a number of contacts and two good friends that are outfitters as well as several guide friends who can hook up with most outfitters offering such an experience. For Wyoming you need to apply for the license NOW for this coming year. Time for application expires January 31. If you want more information PM me.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try www.twooceanpass.com

I am biased as I guide for them. But I doubt you'll find a better quality backcountry elk hunt.

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
If the Wyoming tips don't work out. Check into Elkhorn Outfitters in Colo. They have several types of hunts both early and late in the year. I enjoyed my hunt with them and I'm headed back this year.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Private land is the only way to go IMO.

Quality is much better and numbers are far better.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ralphie,
Why don't they list the cost of the hunts on their website? This usually means...expensive!

Woody

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Agree John Winter runs a good camp. I hunted there about '96 when he was riding out of Moran Junction. Believe he now rides in out of Dubois. Had a VERY unpleasant experience due to his stupidity and I'd not recommend him for that reason.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob do you care to PM me with details. I have been known to do stupid things all on my own and would like to learn from others mistakes so I don't have to do it myself. I won't be hunting elk this fall, it will be next, so I have some time on the application. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader, any suggestions? Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Dhunter,

Got a Barnes & Noble anywhere close by?

There's a Magazine there called Big Game Adventures, you can't harldy miss it because it's about 300 pages ( about an inch thick) it's devoted to Big Game Hunting and has many outfitter advertisments. They can't advertise in the mag unless they meet their approval. I know, that probably sounds ridiculous because it certainly did to me but, then I started calling several of the Elk outfitters in the mag that had huge private ranches to hunt and offered fully guided inclusive hunts. I found out quickly that almost every one I called was booked years in advance. Every outfitter I talked with seemed knowledgeable about elk hunting and most were all booked with repeat hunters they'd been taking for quite a while.

The two things that made me look past the advertising hipe was the fact that they were booked years in advance and that they took repeat clients. That made me sort of at ease since I've been burned by outfitters in the past. I finally found an outfitter that had a couple of regular clients cancel to go on a Safari so I quickly booked the two spots. It was quite a succesful hunt and a lst class operation.

Check out that Mag and give a few of them a call.

I was able to get a Mulie spot for next season with the same outfitter I went with on my Mulie and Elk hunt but, what I really want is a 1st rifle elk or a Mler elk. It will be 3 years before I can go with him on the Mler elk and I may be able to go on the 1st rifle in two if a spot opens.

I will tell you another tip I personally think gives the outfitter more credit. Don't ask for references that have had success with the outfitter. Ask for the references that didn't have success. If an outfitter is willing to give you several names of guys that went with them that didn't kill chances are he's a descent guy and has faith in his operation. Talk to those guys and you will get an honest idea of the outfitter and the areas they hunt. Many will not give you nonsuccessful client info, that's the ones I'd steer clear of.

Check out BGA website here:

http://www.bgamag.com/index.html

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ralphie:
Try www.twooceanpass.com

I am biased as I guide for them. But I doubt you'll find a better quality backcountry elk hunt.

So how was the hunting this last Fall?
I have hunted with John 3 times. He does has a good camp.

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting was pretty good. All hunters that I saw were happy as they left.

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote