THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Black-tailed deer *PICS* 2006 [revised to 2007 too!]

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black-tailed deer *PICS* 2006 [revised to 2007 too!]
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted
I do not care if they are Sitka or Columbia, but I would love to see what you all have done for 2006. Here are mine. They were shot within a few seconds of each other.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well OKH,

I'd say you or your party have done well for yourself...

The racks look indicative that they are a cross between mule deer and blacktail....

congrats on two beautiful trophies...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
The racks look indicative that they are a cross between mule deer and blacktail....

pure blacktails and not even close to any mulies, although with genetics they have now decided that the mulie is the subspecies of the blacktail and not another species, and against the blacktail being the subspecies of the mulie.

Humboldt County, California

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those bucks must have gotten big and strong eating all of that medical marijuana grown down your way!

I never used the stuff... not even the Bill Clinton " I didn't inhale" speech.....

But I have heard that it makes one horny.... well those bucks sure have impressive racks...

I should get a license and hunt down your way one season... our deer up here in S. Oregon are about good enough for Deer McNuggets and there are darn few of those around....

I haven't even been seeing much deer fecees in the forest this year! One week left to go to change my luck....

the two guys I know who have gotten bucks this year have been road hunting at night.... sad to say, and I don't condone... the rest of us who hunt the legal way, are ending up with deer track stew...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the two guys I know who have gotten bucks this year have been road hunting at night.... sad to say, and I don't condone... the rest of us who hunt the legal way, are ending up with deer track stew...

I'd be turning their asses in....

Good going on the bucks!

BJ

Posts: 86 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice bucks....congrats......chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here is mine.

And my cousins.

Our partys kills after a hard weeks hunt.

Here is some of the country we're getting them in.

My pops 4 pt hanging and my 4pt waiting to get worked on.

Fun was had by all.

posted Hide Post
My buck was taken with one shot from my 700 Cdl in 280 remington. The load was 58 grains of H4821sc, ww brass, wlr primer and a 150 grain Nosler Partition. I chornied the load last summer at 2950 fps. The shot was slightly quarting away at about 75 yards standing off hand. My pops was with his ol 300 savage and a 180 grain Corloct. My cousins was with his 30-06 handloaded my me with 150 winchester power point launch by 61.5 grains of R19 and a F210 primer. I think it was with ww brass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
here's a monster(if you use 50 power glasses from 1 foot away)---one day hunt with my boys(Max 8, Erik 13) and a friend (Allen 13)---didn't want to shoot him cuz he could use at least one more year to reach his potential, well I'm not sure he had potential really--by far the smallest blacktail I'vs shot--this thing was fawn size, but had horns---Max was not happy that I passed him up in the morning-- cuz Max likes to see things hit the dirt--he gave me a tongue lashing, so when we saw him again in evening I figured I better shoot him to avoid Max's wrath and since it was Allen's first time out hunting it's nice to shoot something to make it a total success---chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Just looking it over since the 2007 season for B4 has already started. Good buck guys!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Those are some very impressive Blacktails...especially the 4x4s

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Here's my 2007 blacktail.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Here's my 2007 blacktail.

I love the big forks....good job buddy!

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
RogueSix-

What state are you hunting in? It looks like nice country!

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Nice bucks guys! Thanks for posting, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Al,

Very nice mature forky...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot this Black-tail with a Model 94 .30-.30 about 40 years ago in Humboldt Co., CA. CP.

Posts: 153 | Location: Wapiti Way, MT | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Nice buck CP.

I see you shot him while he was bedded.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
CP,

That's an impressive BT. Ever had it scored? -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony, I had a neighbor in Oregon many years ago that scored antlers at the county fair every year. He was over at my house one day and he taped these horns and told me he thought they were very close to making the “book.†If he did tell me the score, I sure in the hell don’t remember the number today. CP.

Posts: 153 | Location: Wapiti Way, MT | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is my 2007 blacktail taken in Humboldt County Saturday morning. We caught him out feeding at about 7am and made a great stalk on him. The ranch is right on the coast, I could hear sea lions from where we took the pics. Going to try and take another at the end of the month.

-Sean

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean Browne:
Here is my 2007 blacktail taken in Humboldt County Saturday morning. We caught him out feeding at about 7am and made a great stalk on him. The ranch is right on the coast, I could hear sea lions from where we took the pics. Going to try and take another at the end of the month.

-Sean

Nice right on the coast between Bear River and Mattole River. Is that the Russ' Ranch or Zanonie's?

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is the Russ Ranch or some people call it Ocean House for the nice house right by the gate there. I was hunting with Dale MacDougall who has guided me on the Cottrell ranch as well. Was certainly a beautiful place to be hunting. Some of those hills are pretty steep though. And I was amazed how many deer like the sheer slides, I saw one doe going up one that looked like mountain goat grade.

-Sean

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I am working on a PLM for lands not to far from there. The Russ' are neighbors to the lands we are on. Great country huh?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great country all right. It was a pleasure just being there much less hunting too. Tons of quail on the little dirt roads, saw a couple bobcats. Beautiful ocean sunsets. Here is a link to more pics from my hunt:

More Pics of the Hunt

Was a great time, I hope to hunt it again in the future. Dale would like to get a long term program going with this ranch. He's done some great work on other ranches.

-Sean

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Is Dale looking for other ranches? Do you know if he writes or works o nthe development of the PLMs? I am currently gathering information from DFG to write a PLM. The land is very similar to what you were on, but heavier to the timber. See below. I would love to be able to chat with Dale via e-mail. We are looking between 10,000 up to possible 40,000 acres.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Here is a buck from the ranch in question. Not the biggest, but the middle of the three shot in the last day or so.

I had an amazing hunt guiding two great friends on land own by the Company I work for [Calif B4 Zone]. Well, one is my Dad, but still a great friend. My good friend shot a nice forked horn at 1730 Friday night. Dad shot a big 4X3 with eye guards 30 minutes later. Today [Saturday] at noon I shot a nice 4X3, average for the area [7 points]. See below. What a great time, and I especially loved to see the looks on the faces of these those two great men!

Here is my buck....and yes there is a story behind the other guy posing with my buck, but it will only be told over the campfire!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I took this buck last sunday 9/30 hunting with Dylan Carr near Garberville with Diamond C Outfitters.

I really enjoy hunting with Dylan. Had a big 4x4 in my scope that got away. Was planning on trying to find him again but sunday morning this guy was out browsing in a field and I couldn't resist. I'll be back next year looking for that 4x4 for sure.

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
4x4 or not that is a nice buck. I had 3 bucks in my sights last week. All of them were on public lands and part of the migratory herd from the Yolla Bolly Wilderness Area. They were all forked horns but wow they are large bodies deer.