Find
Notify
Tools

The best treestand rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What's the best treestand rifle to you?
A short barrel handy rifle like a lever action or a long barrel sniper type bolt action for those longish thread the needle thru the tree limbs type shots?
Iam thinking eitherway its got to be able to take knocks and scratch's cause it seems i always bump my rifle stock while up a treestand....no matter how hard i try not too...

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
What's the best treestand rifle to you?
A short barrel handy rifle like a lever action or a long barrel sniper type bolt action for those longish thread the needle thru the tree limbs type shots?
Iam thinking eitherway its got to be able to take knocks and scratch's cause it seems i always bump my rifle stock while up a treestand....no matter how hard i try not too...

bbh,

I have both types of rifles you asked about and will use the one that best fits the stand - The "beanfield" bolt action from stands that offer long shots requiring a rest; The more compact rifles where shots are closer and possibly no rest is there.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on how far you're able to see and shoot. I normally always used a rifle capable of long range shots.

Joe A.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Remington Model Seven in .308. It is extremely accurate and compact. Mine is one of the original walnut stocked rifles from the 80s. It has been rebarreled to a length of 20 inches.

I lug a ton of gear around when I hunt in MN, so I want something small, light, and compact.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are 3 great replies, I uh, guess I will just say in general

+1
+1
+1

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey BBH, I agree with the others, especially Joe A's "Depends on how far you're able to see and shoot."

Have used all kinds of rifles in all kinds of stands. Some of the stands had leather recliner rockers where you were tempted to lean back and take a snooze, but a 10#+ 26" Bull Barrel Sendero with a 6.5-20x VariX-III worked quite well in them from the Sand Bags.

Other stands were climbers where a close-up revolver, rifle or shotgun was just fine.

And the 308Win M7 AZWriter mentioned will work well in all of them. Plus the short barrel makes for less noticed movement when the Deer are closer.

So, it gets back to Joe A's astute comment.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with a Remington model 700 mountain rifle in the stand. Light weight, short barrel, easy to maneuver. For whitetail I use the .260 Rem.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blackbearhunter,
since you ask.
With tongue firmly planted in cheek I would say if you were to inquire what is the best color of green, I would reply for what purpose. A very broad an general question.
A couple of thoughts.

I employ any number of methods of hunting hogs, deer and varmints. Treestands and tripods included. Two of the accessories that I use when in either are a pair of expanding shooting sticks and a quick adjusting rifle sling.

Shooting stix
As long as you have a place to put your feet, you can stick the base of the shooting stix in between the boot lace and tongue of your boots. Rest your rifle, be it lightweight or a beanfield rifle on the stix and go to town.

Rifle sling.
These days I always have a sling on my rifle. First, we get where we are hunting on ATV's. I do not like the jarring of a mount so I always carry my rifle slung over my back.
I use a type of sling usually some type of nylon that can quickly be adjusted.

If you are sitting on the side of a hill, in a tree stand or a tripod and you can rest your rifle on your sticks, when its time to aim and shoot simply put your arm through the pre-adjusted sling, steady the stix and get a good cheek weld and your good to go.

Now as to rifles, in my old age I am tending toward lighter rifles in milder calibers with shorter stiffer barrels. A Kimber montana would be a good example of a light rifle to be used in a treestand. They are impervious to the elements, can be had in short or long action chamberings, but as mentioned, tend to the light side as far as weight. Only negative I see is that it can be more difficult to be accurate with an ultralight rifle if your not careful. A rifle such a Remington sendero is a fine rifle, but would not be my ultimate choice as they tend to be heavy and long.
Although I don't own one at the moment, and something that I plan to remedy shortly, would be a Savage model 10 Whitetal hunter (based on the model 10 predator) in a caliber such as 7mm-08. Comes with camo barrel and synthetic stock, impervious to the elements. Typically very accurate, 22" medium heavy barrel Three plus 1 rounds. Scope, 2.5 x 8 or 3 x 9. I usually keep mine screwed down around 4 power. Gives me a good field of view in case I need to make a snap shot.

Along those lines, here is one of my favorites. It is a browing micro medallion, chambered in 7mm-08. Has been tricked a little. Stock bedded, barrel free floated. Twenty two inch fluted stainless barrel screwed on, barrel and action teflon coated, Trigger adusted under two pounds(almost never gets cold enough here to wear gloves), detachable mag. Its a killer with 140 gr. accubonds.

Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Blackbearhunter,
since you ask.
With tongue firmly planted in cheek I would say if you were to inquire what is the best color of green, I would reply for what purpose. A very broad an general question.
A couple of thoughts.

I employ any number of methods of hunting hogs, deer and varmints. Treestands and tripods included. Two of the accessories that I use when in either are a pair of expanding shooting sticks and a quick adjusting rifle sling.

Shooting stix
As long as you have a place to put your feet, you can stick the base of the shooting stix in between the boot lace and tongue of your boots. Rest your rifle, be it lightweight or a beanfield rifle on the stix and go to town.

Rifle sling.
These days I always have a sling on my rifle. First, we get where we are hunting on ATV's. I do not like the jarring of a mount so I always carry my rifle slung over my back.
I use a type of sling usually some type of nylon that can quickly be adjusted.

If you are sitting on the side of a hill, in a tree stand or a tripod and you can rest your rifle on your sticks, when its time to aim and shoot simply put your arm through the pre-adjusted sling, steady the stix and get a good cheek weld and your good to go.

Now as to rifles, in my old age I am tending toward lighter rifles in milder calibers with shorter stiffer barrels. A Kimber montana would be a good example of a light rifle to be used in a treestand. They are impervious to the elements, can be had in short or long action chamberings, but as mentioned, tend to the light side as far as weight. Only negative I see is that it can be more difficult to be accurate with an ultralight rifle if your not careful. A rifle such a Remington sendero is a fine rifle, but would not be my ultimate choice as they tend to be heavy and long.
Although I don't own one at the moment, and something that I plan to remedy shortly, would be a Savage model 10 Whitetal hunter (based on the model 10 predator) in a caliber such as 7mm-08. Comes with camo barrel and synthetic stock, impervious to the elements. Typically very accurate, 22" medium heavy barrel Three plus 1 rounds. Scope, 2.5 x 8 or 3 x 9. I usually keep mine screwed down around 4 power. Gives me a good field of view in case I need to make a snap shot.

Along those lines, here is one of my favorites. It is a browing micro medallion, chambered in 7mm-08. Has been tricked a little. Stock bedded, barrel free floated. Twenty two inch fluted stainless barrel screwed on, barrel and action teflon coated, Trigger adusted under two pounds(almost never gets cold enough here to wear gloves), detachable mag. Its a killer with 140 gr. accubonds.

Best
GWB

Oh my Gawd GW ,is that a DEAD animal skin Eeker that that rifles on!!!!!!!

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I take the appropriate rifle for the hunt at hand and the type of stand I'm in.

ladder stand in KY where shot will be 60 yards at most: 308 or 3006, both handy. I don't own a lever but would take if I had one, or even a slug gun.

texas sendero, or box blind in MO: where shots much longer, take a longer poke rifle.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well its a long story but as a friend of mine is want to say, I'll make a long story short.
Basically, no animals were harmed during the composition of my post. I had yougurt for breakfast, coffee and a banana. I had two eggs also, but not bacon or ham. (You know the story about bacon and eggs. For the chicken its no big deal, but for the pig its total commitment.) So far so good.
Now as to the substance of the post. This is one of my success stories that I don't tell to often and usually only to my closest associates as folks that don't know me might question my veracity. Lord knows after 32 years of marriage,kids and grandkids I couldn't take that/
I've mentioned before on one thread or another that there are so many coons at my lease (the four legged kind) that I bout run out of ammo putting them down. Being a man of modest means I decided that a brite-white smile was a renewable resource and really didn't take that much effort. So I've taken to grinning them into submission. Well I got to thinking, what if I could do this with big game animals.
I tried it on an axis buck. Brushed my teeth twice that morning. Splashed on some red fox cover scent for good measure. He didn't have a chance. Once he was stunned, I just ambled up and made him the offer that if he would trade his coat for my old carhart jacket, I'd quit grinnin' at him. Being at a disadvantage and it was pretty warm out He agreed. Didn't even have to skin him.
That's the true story of how I came up with that cape.

PS, I also left him with some SPF 30 sunblock. I think I got the better part of the bargain, but I didn't want him to get a sunburn.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya, hope you feel better tomorrow morning...

Moving right along, I will be in my stand this fall using a .308 Rem 700 Tactical. 20" heavy barrel settles nicely in when on target - .308 can throw the lead in a straight line as far as I need. So far, my farthest shot has been about 80yds...that was a funny right there.

Have used just about everything, and as long as it shoots straight, with success. Sure do like this new Rem Tactical though - sweet trigger and more accurate than I'll ever be.

"Shoot hard, boys."

Posts: 115 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 17 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wallhead,
I'd recently been admonished for posting to many dead animal pix. Rather that retort with an insult or something negative, some times a bald face lie or tall tale will work. Sometimes they fall flat. Quien Sabe as the mexicans say.
GWB

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Treestand 'beater' rifles;
Marlin XLR in .308ME with 2x8 Leupold.
In bolt action a Remington 700 Stainless Varmit Stainless Synthetic with the 26 inch fluted heavy barrel in .308 Winchester with a 3x9x40 Leupold

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guy's got some mighty fine treestand shooting irons tu2

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with above, it depends on where your stand is. If in the timber, hard to be a lever gun with low power scope, but if the shots are longer, might need something with a bit more reach. I like a 22 inch barrel bolt gun for that sort of application.

Posts: 214 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AAlthough I have never seen a deer in a tree, I did try a treestand once. I used my Browning Micro-Medallion in 308. It is my do-all rifle.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i put a but stock on my old contender 30-30 with a 14 in. barrel & a wide scope.i hunt the hills in lots of brush ,most shoots are under 50yds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Ruger #1 with 22" barrel, any suitable caliber.
WYLD

Posts: 43 | Location: Nebraska, USA | Registered: 19 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
I use a Browning BLR in .308. It's short and light and will shoot better than I am capable of shooting it. Wish I new how to grin a deer out of its hide.
GW, how do you get antlers?

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really depends on the area and type of shots that can be presented. For the close in 50-60 yds and closer then it would either be my M94 in 307 WIN or my Remington 7600 in 35 Whelen, both wearing ghost ring sights. Now for the longer shots decisions, decisions.... I'd go with my 270WSM or 3006.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It'd be a lot easier to say what doesn't make a good treestand rifle. You really can take 'um all up there about the same.

I've even taken two rifles to a stand plus a handgun...on the chance of getting multiple shots with guns I just wanted to try using..

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:

And the 308Win M7 AZWriter mentioned will work well in all of them. Plus the short barrel makes for less noticed movement when the Deer are closer.

I once wrote a story about the advantages of short barreled rifles in tree stands and this is something I pointed out. I think many underestimate the advantage of less movement.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote