New
Find
Notify
Tools

Still hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So, here we are in Dec. Any of you still hunting? If so, what are you hunting?

I have an elk tag that's good until the end of the year. I am training my dogs this month on pheasant and chukars. Then, I plan to hunt wild birds after that.

So, have you put the guns up in the safe, or are you still chasing some game?

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just finished goose season yesterday.

The only thing I well be chasing now is coyotes.

Wis. Does have a late doe hunt but I well not be hunting it.

Posts: 19615 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still hunting upland birds just over the CO border into NE. Did not see that many roosters last trip but I will return. Found some quail and Prairie Chickens which added to the fun. I have two springers, my female is 7 and my male is just over a year old. He needs the experience even if we do not kill a ton of birds.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Ducks, haven't shot a deer or let Lora shoot one yet. I spotted a good body sized 2.5 maybe older spike buck on one of the properties a few miles from the house a few weeks.

May try to get her hooked up on that critter after Christmas.

I will have my first guided pig hunters of the year come in the first week of February.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We still have a 3 day deer rifle hunt right after Christmas and deer archery runs till the end of February...

We will hunt deer some, the squirrel dog needs exercise and there are coyotes and bobcats that need killing... If the hogs come back at our forty they are fair game too...

Yep, we are still hunting...

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So far I have four and Beth has taken one. Still get to go make another trip after Christmas for a few days.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 607 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deer season in Louisiana is over for me since I am now in Maine working. Season ends late January.

Did get 2 hogs and an 8 point off of public land while I was home in November.

Will be a long wait until next season.

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Virginia deer season is in til jan 6. I still have a buck tag, looking for some cull bucks i have on camera. Plus shooting a bunch of doe, up to 12 now, plan on 4-5 more

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone is always excited about the opening of Texas deer season in early November, but the hunting is just now getting good, and by far the best hunting is in late December and January. I wish Texas wouldn't open its season until Thanksgiving and keep it open through all of January.

Of course, hogs are available 24-7-365 which gives many Texas hunters a "big game" species anytime they want to hunt.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Going deer hunting in January here thanks to some MLD tags. Work makes it pretty much impossible to go during the actual season.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still am bow hunting.I think it is open through the first week in January.There is also a Christmas gun hunt for does in some areas of the state.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Our deer season runs till mid Jan. just caught this guy on camera last week for the first time. I am passing on small bucks and does regularly and hope to see him in daylight. The rut is peaking here

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13443 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
With 34 days spent in the deer woods this fall and just over 3,000 miles at the wheel I'm a little tired.

With 15 deer tags between my wife and I we filled 12 of those with two decent bucks....one for each of us.

I enjoy eating deer but to be honest I'm tired of cutting and packaging

My shop looks like a bomb went off inside as there's 4 months worth of hunting gear to put away and tree stands that need welded on and or painted....you know.....yearly maintence

I'm done killing for the year unless I go out and luck into a hog or coyote ....... It's time to think about catching some fish in about 3 months. Maybe some pre spawn Walleye before then if the urge hits me

Tricia's Oklahoma buck fell to a 130 grn Accubond from her Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM

My Missouri buck fell to a 120 grn Nosler BT from my Kimber Montana in .280 AI

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted, I have followed your adventures on the various forums. You have been getting it done! Here in south LA we have the best deer hunting toward the end of December and early January when we have the full rut going.

Posts: 78 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Our deer season runs till mid Jan. just caught this guy on camera last week for the first time. I am passing on small bucks and does regularly and hope to see him in daylight. The rut is peaking here

Nice, unique buck Jerry. Hope you get him. Good luck.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. Deer season runs through late January. I shot a nice 8 at my place Friday. We shoot birds until spring gobbler starts. Of course, hogs never close . I can’t get enough of them .

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
That is a really unique buck, hope you get a chance at him.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . sure . . . from last weekend.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
That is a really unique buck, hope you get a chance at him.

Up in the stand this evening, I passed on a smaller one. You get bigger bucks by letting the smaller ones walk. Hoping the good ones show before I do a controlled burn between Christmas and New Year’s Day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
we are pretty much done around here.
some of the bird hunting is still open,
but I'm not wading through thigh high snow to shoot a grouse.

it's time to dig through the empty cases and re-fill the boxes.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I enjoy eating deer but to be honest I'm tired of cutting and packaging

I know that feeling. I only took 3 deer and 2 antelope. I can't imagine cutting and wrapping 12 deer sized animals.

As to the original question: I have a cow elk tag that is open now through Jan 31. My freezer is pretty full but I will probably try to fill this last tag.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
No problem wasting time with processing around here. Price is low, they make great sausage, and they know what they are doing. My BIL took in a doe last Friday. He had to wait in line to drop off his deer and they closed the line after him- they were out of walk in cooler room. You don’t even have to gut it. As long as it is dead, you are good to go...

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
No problem wasting time with processing around here. Price is low, they make great sausage, and they know what they are doing.

I don't blame anyone for taking their animals to the processor but I can't imagine not doing it myself.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Still got another month of deer. I don't know how much ill go though. Quite frankly im tired of it. The fishing has heated up and were headed to Santee for some trophy cats after Christmas.

Of course there's always pigs and yotes to fill the gap until Turkey season opens.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
All done with big game, but there's still a few weekends of duck/goose season and quail season runs through mid-February. Of course, I'll be hunting coyotes, fox, and bobcats into February as well. By then I will have forgotten enough about climbing mountains for Barbary sheep that I may be ready for another tag...

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am waiting for the Missouri Alternate Method season which is between Christmas and New Year and the Nebraska late season the first week in January. I prefer to hunt in the cold anyway.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote