New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring black bear
 Login/Join

<PostDriver>
posted
I'll be hunting in mid June (10-16)on Kupreanof, on a boat out of Kake, with Brad Dennison. Sounds like a load of fun. I really like the PWS area and have hunted Hinchinbrook and the Haines area in years past.

[ 04-08-2003, 17:59: Message edited by: PostDriver ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frans Diepstraten,
>Any comments on my choice of area?
In alberta there are bares everywhere. The only thing that seems to determine where they will be found is food sources. Wait till things green up a little, shouldn't be more than a couple more weeks and the bears should be out. I often hunt south of Calgary in
406, but a little more remote then the elbow falls. There are just to many people there for me to feel comfortable. I also hunt on private land down near Turner valley. This year I will try to call bears and see what happens. I will let you know if I find something. I don't expect the bears to be out much before the 15th of this month, so that's when I will start looking.

Viel gluck,
[Wink]

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas:

I've thought about driving into the McLean Creek area, but I'm not sure what the roads are like. I'm still looking for a cheap yet dependable truck (are there any? ;-) so for now I'm a bit confined to the easier accessible areas. But I agree....I hate walking back to the car, all dressed up and armed and having to find my way through floks of people walking their dogs...I try to avoid it by hunting on weekdays, but they are still there.

I've hunted West Bragg Creek the other day, just following the trail west to the end of the Moose Loop. No bear sign, a few whitetails and again plenty of moose droppings towards the end of the vally (I suppose that is why it is called the Moose Loop). But it suffers from the same problems as the Elbow Falls area: too many civilians.

I've checked out a part of Forestry Trunk Road, but without a decent 4x4 it will be hard to get deep into that country, so I'll be on foot competing with the blokes on their quads. It's not easy, but I've just been here a few weeks, plenty of years to come... and I have a most generous invitation for something up north in the province, if time and bears and work and what have you all cooperate.

Weidmannsheil....are you of German origin? (refering to the Viel Gl�ck in the previous message...)

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .358:
I will be in Manitoba June 1st. I have shot a .358 win loaded with .250 speer for a long time, usually on shot one bear. and by the way, I like the Canadians I've met in Manitoba & Sask. it is just that border crossing that gets me up tight

GREAT CARTRIDGE. I have had one in some rifle form or another for about 30 years. Win 88, Grendel bolt gun, custom mouser bolt gun, now to a BLR.
I use the same Speer 250 gr bullet and have shot through the full length of a deer AFTER going through the heavy rear leg thigh bone.
Anymore for the tight stuff I either carry the BLR in .358 or the Marlin 1895 in 45-70 with the short bbl.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frans,
Check your email

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a spot up near Ashern, Manitoba I normally go to. Some private land up there with some nice bears. I've only ever taken 1, but now I feel as though I was badly undergunned! Now I have good reason to look into a nice .35 Whelen, .338, or maybe something in 9.3 to go with my 6.5x55, or I'll borrow Dad's '06.

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey BHW-How about bringing a six pack of Sun Drop up for an old NC boy living in Alaska now? Good Luck on your hunt.

Posts: 83 | Location: ND | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote