New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring black bear
 Login/Join

<Ranger Dave>
posted
Anyone huntig for black bear this spring? What rifle are you going to be using? Where are you hunting?

I'm hunting near Bissett, Mb with my Ruger M77MKII 300 Win Mag. I didn't shoot a bear last year but I have a good feeling about this year. The Ruger will be fed Hornady 180gr SP.

I'm going to be stalking and calling. We will see what comes in!

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I'll be hunting the N.Casscades and will be using my Mathews Q2 or my 308BLR.

90% of the bears I see there are of some sort of brown fase.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
All bears around here, that I've seen, are black. Black as black can be.

one of us
posted Hide Post
.300 Win Mag for me too (Winchester 180 grs PP), unless I find the time to sight my 9,3x62 in time. I'll be hunting blackies West of Calgary, AB, and, who knows, maybe up north in Alberta too.

I was out all day today in Kananaskis, to do some scouting. Some four miles off the main road I came to a marshy area with *lots* of moose droppings, and just a hint of sprouting green stuff. The moose tracks lead to a saddle, which leads into another valley. That's where I'd like to go, but frankly, I need a bit more excercise, to be able to make the trip *and* still be fit enough to hunt. I hope that if I *do* make it, this will get me away from the crowds a bit. When I left the car at the gate that closes the road during winter at 8 a.m. I was the only one. When I returned at 3.30 p.m. there were some 40 cars there, families picknicking, etc.

Maybe I should try another area, eh?

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
There's bears right around here, so I'll be going out come April 1. I had a Vancouver Island trip planned but I might not make it as it looks like I'm heading to England in May. I might be able to squeeze it in, though.

I'll be using my new 300WSM, using 180 gr Failsafe bullets.

There are often cinnamon bears around here, but the majority still is black.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be hunting the new southern crossing gas line in southern BC. With all the grass on it it's pretty common to see around 6 bears a day. Most are black but its still easy to find some nice browns.

I'll be using my 300 RUM with 180 grain Noslers.

We can take 2 bears a year here. I'm more after a nice hide for a wall hanging this year. Bear populations are exploding here. No trouble to find bears at all.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
Everyone is shooting big boomers, eh? I'm just taking the 300 because it needs some time in the woods.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
How are you doing? I hope to be in New Brunswick June 01-08. I've just loaded some 200gr Noslers for the 30-06 and hope to get the scope back from Leupold next week, the Warne rings came in today. Maybe I can make it to the range next weekend.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be using my .338-06, 250gr Noslers on a Ruger M77RSI. Lots of Blackies around here too. Will hunt the inlets and bays when the skunk cabbage starts to come out, they really like that stuff. FYI, any Black Bear taken here in SE before June 1 has to have hide, skull and meat salvaged. Now I need to find some good bear recipes.
John

Posts: 116 | Location: Juneau, Alaska, U.S.A. | Registered: 25 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the biggest Blacks I ever saw was on Gates Ck near Pemberton. And as for Bissett, there won't be much of a chance that your bear will be a dump bear huh Ranger?

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
derf,

No dump bears for me. Bissett is more or less a ghost town these days. The mine is dead. I head north of Bissett and head down a nice logging road. There is a bunch of trails running off of it. I normally stumble acrossed a bear grouse hunting. 7.5 shot isn't my ideal fodder for bear!

<Ranger Dave>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
Dave,
How are you doing? I hope to be in New Brunswick June 01-08. I've just loaded some 200gr Noslers for the 30-06 and hope to get the scope back from Leupold next week, the Warne rings came in today. Maybe I can make it to the range next weekend.

I'm doing good except for this itch to go hunting! Good luck on your hunt. New Brunswick is a nice province.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I'm headed to The Pas in mid May with my 50 Alaskan in hand. This will be my 3rd time up there. Holding out for the "big one".

Btw, what do you use for calling bears? Sounds interesting to say the least.

Thanks.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Al-- I've called in a bit over 60 of the buggers, it is interesting.

I look at between 50-60 bears a year here in Montana, Anything to do with bears I just absolutely love.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Our spring season won't start till later in April, but by the looks of the snow it'll take'em that long to dig out. I'm undecided about what gun to use this year for sure. I plan to use my .416 Taylor and imagine I will. But If I spend any time "spotting" around the farmlands I usually tote the .338WinMag. Also If I end up on the baits my Ruger 96/44 is awfull compact and loaded with 310gr.WFN cast bullets it becomes a bone crusher.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
Ontario gassed its spring bear hunt about four years ago. Big bears are out there, though, with reports of two killed, each over 600 pounds.

One came barreling up the road at me during deer season. I was loaded up and carrying a bear license, but I was talking to a buddy and got bushwacked. Never even got a shot off.

kk

Posts: 1224 | Location: Southern Ontario, Canada | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, the biggest black bear I ever saw in my life was not far from Lac Du Bonnet. There are some BIG bears in that neck of the woods. I get back there a few times a year (I still have family in the area) but the only bears I've shot while there were the ones that were in my uncle's yard. He usually gets a few every year. My aunt shot one through the screen door that was on the back steps eating the dog food. In this area, I usually go north for bears, but I saw quite a bit of sign round Buck Lake last fall. If you go up around Grand Prairie, you find some big bears, and a lot of interesting colour phases (especially cinnamon, russet, and blonde). Up around Lac La Biche they are pretty much all black (at least all the one's I've seen). One of the gents around here calss the bears with his coyote calls. Seems to work, I've not tried it yet. I guess the bears think there's a meal at the other end of the distressed rabbit call. As for what to hunt them with, 358 in the woods, or maybe the 350 RM. Out in the fields, whichever flat shooting rifle comes to hand. Franz, I got your message last night. We were out as my daughter had come up to visit from Calgary. I'll try posting a PM to you. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I will be spot and stalking in central BC. Rifle will be either Ruger No1 416 Rem with 400 gr. Hornady RNSP, or M700 260 Rem with 140 gr. Partitions.

[ 04-16-2003, 09:39: Message edited by: todbartell ]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frans Diepstraten,
Sounds like you are hiking around the little elbow, from the road closure at elbow falls.
I noticed that you shoot a 9.3, from where do you get bullets and brass? Neither store in town sells them.

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Franz, read your PM's. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's still a toss up for what rifle I plan on taking. Either my 338 Win. Mag, 375 H&H or my 300 WSM. They'll all get field time before the spring is over, though.

Posts: 1005 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am hoping to get to Canada for black bear this May.
The rifle to use would be a toss up betweeen a Sauer 202 in 7RemMag, 160 grain partition Golds or Sako .375H%H with 210gn Barnes X

I have to do some testing with the .375 loads first, if I can get them to shoot I might use that. Otherwise the 7mm is a very accurate gun, I just have reservations using it because I have had nasty results. I know, it is a great caliber blah blah, I have had three pathetic failures wich it.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be in Manitoba June 1st. I have shot a .358 win loaded with .250 speer for a long time, usually on shot one bear. and by the way, I like the Canadians I've met in Manitoba & Sask. it is just that border crossing that gets me up tight

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting in Prince William Sound with my son. He will shooting a .270 loaded with 140 grain swift a-frames. I'll be shooting a .338 loaded with 225 grain swift a-frames in case the bears try to make a run for the woods off the beach.

Posts: 83 | Location: ND | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I might head up north by peace river for the big ones easter weekend. I'll be using my Rem 700 8mm rem mag with either a sierra or hornady 220 grain bullet pushed by reloader 25. I'll probably just spot and stalk but we'll see what works. This will be my first real bear hunt and I'm looking forward to it!

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Middle Age Fat Man:
Hunting in Prince William Sound with my son. He will shooting a .270 loaded with 140 grain swift a-frames. I'll be shooting a .338 loaded with 225 grain swift a-frames in case the bears try to make a run for the woods off the beach.

Hey MAFM - me and diesel dude will be in prince william sound during the first week of june looking for black bears; when are you planning on hunting ? we plan to take a flat long range shooter each and an up close and personal (for following in the alders) - we boat out of whittier and use a zodiac to hunt the shorelines - I plan on doing some early season scouting this weekend near Hope, to continue all through April and May on the south facing slopes - many nice size black bears near Hope - take care and have a safe hunt - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Gunnut45/454>
posted
Be hunting the ID hills -with 454 Casull SRH/Rossi lever gun-probably spot and stalk mostly though I might give calling a try looks to be fun [Eek!]
300gr XTP-Mags at 1600/1995fps MV should do the trick !! [Big Grin] If I can't get close enough then I'll have to resort to my back-up '06 with 180gr Serria's [Roll Eyes]

[ 04-02-2003, 22:03: Message edited by: Gunnut45/454 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be hunting Black bears in Idaho, too. Lots of them here, but in my area, central to south and east Idaho, the Black bears usually are cinnamon colored. Same color as in Calif., where I killed two.

My hunting irons will be Marlin 1894S .41 Magnum, and S&W 57 .41 Magnum, with my handloads. Killed a 400 pounder with the S&W so know the .41 Mag. does a number on Black bears.

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas wrote
>Sounds like you are hiking around the little >elbow, from the road closure at elbow falls.
>I noticed that you shoot a 9.3, from where do >you get bullets and brass? Neither store in >town sells them.

Yep, that was the area I've been looking, mainly north of the road there. I've yet to see bear sign though, once the weather breaks I might try to get out. Any comments on my choice of area?

I brought all my 9,3 stuff over from europe, actually it arrived a bout a week ago, with the rest of our belongings. I'll be fine for brass for a long time, but haven't got any bullet in store...so I'll have to order somewhere, or get my EU contacts to send me some...first comes the die set though, till now I shot only factory ammo for this caliber.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although not specifically a bear hunter I purchased a 444 Marlin as a short in Bear gun as my single shot 20 guage slug didn't get the lasdt one in my yard off my dog. We are allowed 2 a year and a friend of mine wants the meat and hide so "hiho,hiho, it's off to hunt we go". We have 400 lb and over blackies here so I'm going to go without the fancy 1/4" MOA guns and stick with the "whoa, did you see that bugger drop" type gun.

Posts: 78 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be taking three of my sons (all 12 years and under) out around Porcupine Plain for our first bear hunt. We are going to use a 35 Whelen loaded with 250 gr. Hornady spire points at about 2550 fps. Hope it gets their attention (the bears that is). We are green as grass at bear hunting. It was interesting to see that people have used coyote calls on bears. Has anyone else used this technique?

Posts: 31 | Location: Nipawin, Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi 6mm. I have hunted there years ago.

A dieing rabbit call will bring any predator running if done right. I have never shot a bear using one (didn't want one) but I have got them very close. Remember that a predator will expect something tasty at the end of that call. Keep the kids close!

Posts: 78 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a great spot & stalk hunt in Idaho 2 years ago- used a .280 Ackley pushing 162gr. Hornady Interlocks. Here's a pic:
http://www.hcoutfiters.com/bearalbum/bear5.html

He looked bigger in real-life I swear!

Posts: 989 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
We will be off a boat in Prince William Sound, AK mid-May. Will be using my Ruger MKII, 7MM Rem Mag with Fed Premium TBBC zeroed in for 200 yds.

First time ever for bear hunting, don 't know what to expect, but am very excited. Can't wait until May 16th to leave.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
BHW (catchy handle [Smile] )

Could you share some about who your hunting with?

Is it a Guide (I know a Guide is not required) or a drop off hunt?

Thanks, I'm just trying to find out more about the different hunting outfits in Alaska.

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Oh, and by the way...

I'm going black bear hunting on Kuiu mid-May.

Going with a friend who has a classic wood troller. We'll take a skiff for hitting the beach.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Went out for a stroll today, first nice day after a couple of days of snow and flurries. No sign whatsoever. Went up pretty high, and found a real nice south facing chute, that should produce once the snow melts...at 2100 meters all was frozen solid...on the way back, around 1500 meters the sun was really working and opening up patches. Not much green to be found yet though.

Frans

posted Hide Post
Will be going to Ketchikan Alaska the end of May. Should have the loads all set by than for the Barnes 168 grain coated XLC. Shooting a BAR 30-06 and hoping to get a nice Black Bear. Will be using a guide service.

Posts: 5 | Location: turlock, ca | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
BW,

It is technically an unguided hunt as the outfitter doesn't really do much for us. We spot and glass from the boat, then after locating a bear they will put us ashore.

Outfitter is Burr Henriksen out of Seward, AK. His cell phone is 907-227-2252. In speaking with him on numerous occassions, he seems like a pretty knowledgable guy, got his degree in forestry (?) from NC State, go Wolfpack and has some pretty awesome rates for the unguided bear hunt. Basically you get 4 guys together and rent the boat on a daily basis. When I was putting this togther, Burr's package, was the best value for the dollar I found, not the cheapest, but certainly not the most expensive either. An unguided hunt is certainly a different animal from the traditional guided hunt.

I am an engineer by profession, not journalist, but hope to write at least a short story about our trip when I return.

Hope to post some info on the hunt here on the forum when I return.

Sure hope this helps.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
BHW,

Thanks for the information!