THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    2 rifles (calibres) for the rest of your life....
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 rifles (calibres) for the rest of your life....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post

[ 01-24-2003, 22:02: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First off: If only two calibers are allowed, we are in deep trouble. That said:
Category 1 is 223, 308 or 30-06 Pick one
Category two: 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, and 458win mag/Lott.

Given reloading as an option, I'm going to pick the biggest of each category. I can load a light for caliber bullet in a 30-06 and have a 130 grain spire point that makes a good varmit round.
Likewise, 150 grain commercial, or mil, ball ammo is good for deer, and 2 legged varmits.

I just like bullet diameter, so, I'll go with the 458 Lott.

In reality, what I may end up with is 458 win mag, light rifle, and 458 Lott, heavy rifle.

Beautiful Browning Safari Mag in 458 that would make a nice, short barreled varmit or carry gun.
Buy a CZ and turn it into a 458 Lott. Only problem is what to do with the 30-06, and ammo, and, the 375 H&H CZ...

I like having all the bullets near the same size, hence, 22 lr and 45 colt, acp, and 458...

DR S [Confused]

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<BusPilot>
posted
No question:
7x57 Mauser (100-175grns, anything up to 500#)
.375H&H (200-on up w/A-frames)
(I don't get the .300 Winnie for a "light" rifle.
If rabbit or squirrel is for the pot, what would you have left?! Jeez!)

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That might be ok if you never plan to hunt outside the U.S.
Maybe outside of the US, but not outside of North America.

A .22LR and something in the 30 caliber class, likely a .300 winnie.

Life without a .22LR would be very dull and I couldn't imagine not having one. By far I've killed more critters with a .22 than all other calibers combined.

I may make Alaska someday and the .300 Winchester would be a 'bear' minimum.

Posts: 192 | Location: Mills County, Ioway | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were going to hunt world wide then I would choose the 300 H&H or 338 Win, either will do and a 416 Rem...that will handle jack rabbits to Elephant. I hope that never has to come about.

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22 WMR and 338 magnum. Not interested in shooting elephants anyway.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30-06/375 h&h

Posts: 66 | Location: garner n.c. usa | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5x284 and a .375 H&H

Posts: 64 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
<memtb>
posted
I'am with Kevin on this!! A 22RF ( an accurate bolt gun) and a .375 H&H (preferably in the AI version)! -memtb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska: I was checking my calendar here (the big ones put out by Remington each year) and I make notes on it every year regarding when and where I Hunt. And I have done this for many years. I save those calenders from year to year not only for the wonderful art on them but the references for future years - where I went and on what date! Since last January I have been on two very successful Buffalo Hunts, a spring Bear Hunt (10 days), continuing with Big Game for the last year I then Hunted Antelope for 9 days, then I virtually Hunted the whole Montana Big Game season for Deer and Elk (this season was 36 days long - I did not miss a day with the exception of a few travel days!) then continuing with Big Game starting December 1st and continuing on into the future til quotas are filled the Cougar season is going! In addition this past year I gleefully Hunted Hungarian Partridge, Pheasants, Sharptails, Sage Grouse, 3 kinds of woodland Grouse and Turkeys! I have spent SO many days afield Hunting Game Birds tis year (I got my best ever Gobbler this fall - remember 1 Turkey in the spring and another in the fall is legal here in Montana). And Waterfowl! I have killed both Geese and Ducks til I was sated this past year. Now Nebraska, I will get into my Varmint Hunting a little. Many of my Varmint Hunts are combined with scouting for Big Game (Deer, Elk, Bear and Antelope) and Turkey Hunting! I have actively Hunted and was licensed for Bobcat along with the no license needed Hunting for Rock Chucks, Coyotes, Fox, Prairie Dogs, Ground Squirrels, three kinds of Rabbits, Badgers, Skunks and numerous Flying Varmints.
For a total days afield Hunting last year of 155 days! These days are a dream come true for me and I relish them. I wish you perhaps knew what you were talking about when you make mean spirited and ill informed statements. I would be happy to hear how many days Hunting afield your cousin spends. And I will resist putting my foot in my mouth (like you just did) regarding evaluating your cousin because I do not know him and maybe thats not my job. I will make ths blanket statement regardng your cousin I bet he would LIKE to have a few more Rifles! I know nothing about your cousin and will not comment on his experiences or Hunting habits! Perhaps you have made THIS mistake in your snap assessment of me - you do not realize I can and have hundreds of times spent a full day (dawn til dark) afield Hunting Big Game, Varmints, Game Birds or Waterfowl and be back in my home here in Hunting Heaven (SW Montana) in time to peruse the puter for some Hunting tips and such. Yeah I CAN and do Hunt and compute on the same day! In the past 30 days I have Hunted - Bobcat, Coyote, Fox, Cougar, Ducks, Geese and Buffalo! Hmmm! I think you are just wrong Nebraska! And maybe check your attitude at the keyboard next time! Just regale me with your opinions and experiences! I promise I will (if the situation warrants) respond to you in a positive and mature manner with specifics and positive points. I will not make an ill informed and ambiguous attack on you!
Lets go Hunting sometime!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

[ 01-24-2003, 22:03: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

posted Hide Post
Guys, guys. Peace.

Let's not make this a (pissing) contest. The issue here is not to compare our invidual skills.

Regards, Mark V

Posts: 21 | Location: Finland | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7x57 Mauser 145grs Grand Slam
10,75x68 Mauser 347grs Weldcore SN
[Wink]

Posts: 33 | Location: munich, germany | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska: I did not think you would respond directly to my specific refutation of your ambiguous and mean spirited post! Typical! I won't give my fingers a rest - you have nothing to say or do in regards to my behavior. Speaking of behavior your parents should have done a little better job with you. When it is shown an ADULT should apologize and does not that is a sign of immaturity! Again I open my self to an apology from you. Do not over estimate your self importance (ego). If you do not have anything positive to say or think about my posts then make a mature decision for youself and just don't read them. That perhaps is to simple a concept for someone as intellectual as yourself. I feel sorry for you and other immature people (site pests) like yourself - having to interject your ill informed, ambiguous, immature and snide remarks in a forum that is supposed to be about sharing experiences, asking questions and helping each other. Nothing positive about your attitude so far - so I will again suggest leave your petty attitude on your side of the keyboard until you have learned some manners and good intentions!
I take back my invitation to come Hunting with me. I do not think you would be pleasant company!Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] VG...those tactics won't work. You have my number if you'd like to spew in person.

[ 01-26-2003, 03:29: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

one of us
Picture of hamdeni
posted Hide Post
For me it will be .300win mag and .375H&H mag [Smile]

Posts: 1846 | Location: uae | Registered: 30 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska: Then I take it you still refuse to admit your ill informed, snide and mean spirited remarks to me are inappropriate for this forum! And apparently you have made the decision not to apologize. Typical!
Keep your phone number to yourself. I have plenty of mature and positive people to talk to both on the phone and online.
And no comment from you will affect the length or content of my positive postings. Having said that your rude and ambiguous statements will not keep me from responding to ill informed, snide and mean spirited (in kind if the need be) comments directed at me from you or anyone else.
Yes if I were you I would immediately delete all your postings in this thread!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
AAAAHHHH! More trivial pursuit. The question was "which calibre", not which gun or cartridge. I take this to mean I still have free reign with my gauge guns so further discussion on that subject is mute. Now that I have all the artillery available for the great beasties of the world, [Big Grin] my choice: .22/.338. The drum roll and applause is appreciated but not necessary. [Wink]
Furthermore, blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahbalhblahblahblahblahblah. Thank you very much.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with a 222 and 416.

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would choose a 223, and a 7mm Rem Mag.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
300 Win Mag, 470 NE. 'bout covers it all.

Jim

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Hunting Max>
posted
.22WMR and .375 Weathery

posted Hide Post
I am leaning toward:
1) Remington Mtn. Rifle chambered in 7mm/08
AND
2) Thompson Center Encore with a 7mm Rem Mag barrel.

I will probably never hunt outside North America, and the reason I didn't pick a .22 L.R. is that I use that caliber more in a handgun than I ever have in a rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My choice today would be:

22LR
375 H&H

if I felt that I would never go back to Africa I would choose:

22LR
30-06

If you include shotguns in the mix:

375 H&H
12 ga.

I do know people who only have two rifles, usually a 22LR and a Deer rifle. Some can't afford more, some feel that they don't need more. I think that this was a good question in that it made me evaluate my true hunting/shooting needs as opposed to wants.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote