THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    2 rifles (calibres) for the rest of your life....
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 rifles (calibres) for the rest of your life....
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,

I am new in this forum, so forgive me if this is chewed through allready.

I was just wandering if you have chance to own only two rifles for all of your lifetime - what calibre would it be ??

You don't know beforehand what type of game or where you would be hunting - this is the point. Select calibres that can bring the pot full of meat in any conditions, plains, bush, Alaska, Africa...

My choice:

- 7x57
- 9.3x62

Should be sufficient in any conditions IMHO. I am traditionalist and do believe that most good things have been invented a looooong time a go.

Regards, Mark V

Posts: 21 | Location: Finland | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.22 Long Rifle
375 H&H

Posts: 1525 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lots of good choices and this topic always brings endless debate. For my own use it would be the 300Wby and the 416Rem. But then again I have a new 375Wby and I could easily make do with that pair as well. I am not a traditionalist and want the best tools for the job, regardless of when they were invented.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's smaller than an elk, 257 Roberts imp. firing 117gr. Hornady SSTs. For elk and up, 30-06 imp. firing 180gr. Hornady SPs or Speer Grand Slams. I don't consider the 06 imp. adequate for the big bears but I doubt that I will ever get an opportunity to hunt them so I'm going with these two calibers.
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi,

quote:
Originally posted by John S:
Lots of good choices and this topic always brings endless debate.[/

I know. [Smile]

quote:
I am not a traditionalist and want the best tools for the job, regardless of when they were invented.
The selection for lighter rifle seems to be a bit high side for me, if all game is considered, but i don't know the calibre too well and there might be good light loadings for it.

I don't think these good old Mausers have anything to feel inferior against new calibres. Let the track record speak...

Regards, Mark V

Posts: 21 | Location: Finland | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
<chuk>
posted
I own them. A 300 win mag and a 375 H&H built on left handed model 70 actions. My reasons are: readily availably ammunition and reloading components, their field proven, and they allow some overlap if something was to go wrong with one of them (heaven forbid).

Joe Bishop, a man who hunts extensively throughout the world uses two synthetic stocked Sakos, a 7mm rem mag and a 375 H&H, do do his hunting with.

A better combination might be out there, but for my requirements and in my opinion these two are tough to beat.

chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 270 and 500 3".
you have to let us have a 22 rimfire also. [Mad]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the nightmare of a two Rifle "rest of my life" were to actually happen - I would immediately commit Hari Kari! Don't even talk like two Rifles! EVER!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Buliwyf>
posted
Mark V:

VarmintGuy is a tough act to follow. But here goes.

#1 .416 Hoffman-400 grain bullets of course
#2 7mm Remington Magnum-175 grain bullets

B

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinNY:
.22 Long Rifle
375 H&H

Agreed wholeheartedly [Smile]

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
I'll take VarmintGuy's post a bit further and say:

I'm sick of these useless questions. What's the point of asking what one rifle, or two rifle, or five rifle would you choose? You get a lot of opinions and occassionally some pointless debate...

POINTLESS!

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
2 guns: 22LR , 30-06
3 guns: 22LR , 30-06 , 12 gauge
4 guns: 22LR , 30-06 , 12 gauge , 375H&H

[ 01-16-2003, 23:29: Message edited by: fla3006 ]

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to approach this from a slightly different angle, I always think if limited to 2 calibers, the rifles they come in are more important than the actual caliber. I often see people excited to get a new caliber, but in my opinion (whatever that's worth) they spend too little time planning the rifle it comes in. Whether it's optimal for the intended purpose.

In my case, #1 would be a relatively light, flat shooting rifle that I could use for backpack sheep hunting, and can also be about perfect as an all-around deer rifle. Mine is a M70 classic stainless short-action custom 284Win in a Bansner stock and a Pac-Nor barrel which weighs in at just under 7 pounds with scope. A 140 SST for deer and a 140 failsafe to help me sleep soundly while sheep hunting in grizzly country.

The other rifle would be used for moose/elk/bigger bears and will be a bit heavier due to the caliber it comes in. Mine is taking shape as we speak, also on a M70 classic stainless action, this one in a Brown stock. I'm having my 300Wby rebarreled to 358 Norma. It will weigh just over 8 pounds complete. With a 225 Ballistic Tip for long range moose and elk, and a heavier bullet for close range/bigger critter gittin'. Depending on what the rifle likes, it will be a North Fork 270 grainer, an A-Frame 280 grainer or a 250 "X".

Either rifle could be in about a dozen other calibers that would work just as well, but it's the rifles and how they are set up that is the important part.

Posts: 235 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 08 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well all I have right now are

6.5x55 mauser sporterized
30/06
and a .22 LR

So I dont need any more?

Please tell me I need more so I can tell my wife I need more. [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 77 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, i forgot to say the following before i hit the button:

Nothing against anyone personally, just a pet peeve i developed in the last few weeks. [Wink]

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
My pick would be a .257 Wby and a .358 STA. Another pick would be a .300 Win mag and a .416 Rem. Or I could have said .22 Mag and .340 Wby. Or how about 7MM STW and .338 Lapua. My first pick would still be at the top of the list and I would call it a chambering, instead of a Caliber. [Wink] Good shooting.

<Buliwyf>
posted
My dear NutCase:

It is absolutley imperative and essential that you own a rifle in either .338, .375, .416, .458, .475, or .510! Your wife does not realize that you can not get into Heaven(whatever your relegious belief)without owning one of the calibers I mentioned. And yes, you must keep all firearms you curently have.

Go in peace.

B

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Buliwyf
What do you mean "either", I thought the rule was you had to have one of each.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the world, if all possible game is on the list: a .223 or 22/250 and a .375 H&H or .375 RUM.

For North America, a .223 or 22/250 and a .338 or one of the 300 magnums.

For the world, provided elephant, Cape buffalo, lion, rhino, and the biggest eland are left off the list: a .223 or 22/250 and one of the .300 magnums.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I can't see myself hunting outside of North America so this makes it a easy one.
25/06 and one of any of the 338mags.
The 25 for varm. and deer and the 338 for eveything else.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll never see Africa so this is easy as well. My 257 and 340 Weatherbys can do anything I want to do anywhere I want to go. These hypothetical questions are kinda pointless, but pass the time. Sometimes the answers can get interesting. Take it easy on the topic starters.

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Mark V,

I would go with:

.300 Win Mag [flat shooting, good selection of factory ammo]; and

.416 Rem Mag [Cape buffalo medicine].

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Winchester model 70's.

1. 30-06 with Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x scope.
2. 375HH Mag with Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x scope.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
A .22 hornet for things up to coyotes and diminutive deer and antelope species. A .30-06 for the big stuff. If it were three calibers then make that .22lr, and 6.5 swede or 7x57, and .338-06 or .35 whelan or 9.3x62.

one of us
posted Hide Post
bah! a .458 win mag is all you need [Big Grin] [Razz] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gonzo FreakPower:
I'll take VarmintGuy's post a bit further and say:

I'm sick of these useless questions. What's the point of asking what one rifle, or two rifle, or five rifle would you choose? You get a lot of opinions and occassionally some pointless debate...

POINTLESS!

Gonzo
Then why do you bother reading and posting a reply? Why not just skip the topic altogether?
Greg

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<BarryH>
posted
Iron Buck got it out before I could.

30-06
.375 H&H

Barry

one of us
posted Hide Post
300 WSM and 375 H&H.

Posts: 1005 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
<bigdog>
posted
Mark V,

Are you for real!!!!!! [Eek!]

Well I guess I'll play too.

7x57
35 Whelen , mmmmmmmmmm maybe 35 Brown Whelen, mmmmmmm maybe 375 H&H, MMMMMMMM I'd really loose it with only two [Big Grin]

my .02 worth

BD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Greg K,

I guess i have a wild hair up my ass. happens sometimes.

Rather than "yelling" at someone here let me try it this way:

Instead of asking such a broad question that doesn't really have any point, try asking something a little more specific. With a little more focus you'd learn a lot more.

I just don't see what good comes from asking a question that's so far removed from reality. No one here would ever want to live in a world that allowed only 2 rifles per person (or 3 or 5).

I don't mean to offend anyone here. I've seen people get way too excited in these forums, getting bent out of shape. Witness the "270 vs 30-06" post or the "why you say no to 30-06."

I will try my best to leave things like this alone. To each his own.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
My dear NutCase:

It is absolutley imperative and essential that you own a rifle in either .338, .375, .416, .458, .475, or .510! Your wife does not realize that you can not get into Heaven(whatever your relegious belief)without owning one of the calibers I mentioned. And yes, you must keep all firearms you curently have.

Go in peace.

B

Thank you, I showed the wife this reply and I know where I can get my hands on a .338 [Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 77 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
For N. America - .270 and a .338

For the whole world - .270 and a .375

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.270 (or so)
.338WM (The Alaskan)

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
That's a tough one, but I would probably go with the 6.5x55 and 375 H&H. The 6.5 works great on everything from coyotes to mule deer, and the 375 on everything larger. [Wink]

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
For me a 30-06 and a 375 ultra mag

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
I have to go with the 30-06 and 375H&H.......boring but would work great for me!

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 and 378 Weatherby Magnums,scoped with Leupolds,loaded with Nosler Partitions.Can't really think of anything that combo wouldn't be good for,in North America or Africa.

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
270 Win
338 WM

Stainless M70's
22" Barrel's
2x7 Leupold's
Fiberglass Stock's

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
260 Remington & 416 Remington Mag

260 for anything up to 400 lbs in size, 416 for everything bigger, or meaner.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
It could be done with one rifle if you had a Thompson Centre interchangable.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote