New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal Fusion ammo on black bear?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anybody used it on black bear? If so, how was the performance? If it shoots accurately in my son's Ultra 06, I may have him use it on our Idaho black bear hunt, this fall.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
My experience with the bullets is out of a 30-06 on Whitetails.

The 180grs were quite accurate. Almost 1 MOA (5 shots) at 100yds. Not bad at all for factory ammo.

Though I recovered both deer I shot with the bullets, the blood trail was IMHO unacceptable. Even on the the doe I shot thru both armpits. The exit hole on the doe was barely larger than a dime. The buck I shot was quartering to me and the bullet did not exit. I believe a 180gr bullet from a 30-06 should punch through a 165lb whitetail lengthwise.

It would probably be a great pronghorn bullet or on open terrain whitetails. But I wouldn't consider them for Black Bear IMO.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I was gonna try some but had heard on one of the gun forums that it was not that great.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Read JJ Hack's excellent bullet field report in the African Big Game Hunting forum. It will answer your question.

Bullet recovery results

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Interesting that you brought this up. I bought some 180's for my friend's 300 WM. That box was his backup ammo because he didn't have many of his handloads left (180 TSX).

We shot a few of the Fusion bullets and they grouped just fine, however he did not pull the trigger on our bear hunt in NB.

I am also interested in anyone elses experience with these bullets on bears. The box was reasonably priced at $25 after tax.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

posted Hide Post
I have used them for everything in the 270. You can't beat their performance. Amazing.

Posts: 29 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
the norwegian importer has several of them for .300 win mag, theire about 25us or 15 kr pr round. if you buy a case of 200 you will save ca 6 dollars per box.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd guess the old core-lokts have taken thousands of bears and the fusion is supposed to be tougher than the corelokt, so you will be just fine. bullet placement trumps all else!

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote