Find
Notify
Tools

Wow!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I made some venison stew this evening. Broke out a jar of my pressure canned venison that I have been saving for winter meals. I was not disappointed one bit.

My recipe was to cube up and boil some redskin potatoes (do not peel them). When they were about done I added two large fresh grated carrots, one diced large onion, numerous fresh cut mushrooms, chopped garlic, bay leaf, salt, pepper, a dash of olive oil, liquid hickory smoke. Dumped the jar of meat in and then three heaping tablespoons of flour- all stirred in.

Simple, fast and delicious. What was notable is that canned venison tastes just like beef.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Looks good!
Tonight, we finished off the last of the Thanksgiving turkey. My wife made soup with it and it ended up looking a lot like your stew; lots of good veggies and such. The soup lasted multiple days an the last of it went tonight. BURRP!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure looks good.
BUT: IF you wanted something that
tastes like beef, why not get the
real thing? That by itself spoils
venison imo.

Still, it looks great. I might fix
something like that myself to change
the diet. Just need some venison is
all.

Cheers,

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
airc Ann's Deer was just big enough to have a decent amount of meat on it.
but not so big it tasted like Deer just yet.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of my life, I have had Turkey for Thanksgiving.

This year, my wife and I cooked a Moose roast in the crockpot from the Shiras Moose I shot this fall. Cooked it on the low heat setting for 7 hours.

We added cubed potatoes, diced carrots, an onion, and a package of ready made stew 'gravy'. Delicious, and something different for the holiday!

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That meat was from my 2018 buck. About half of the little guy I shot this year is destined for jerky.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
All of my life, I have had Turkey for Thanksgiving.

This year, my wife and I cooked a Moose roast in the crockpot from the Shiras Moose I shot this fall. Cooked it on the low heat setting for 7 hours.

We added cubed potatoes, diced carrots, an onion, and a package of ready made stew 'gravy'. Delicious, and something different for the holiday!

That sounds delicious!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dang,you got me hungry.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty tasty!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1119 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no better meat that Texas Hill country whitetail, mild, no wild taste..I grew up eating whitetail, mule deer, and elk, we sold our beef for money and ate the kings deer, and have never wavered from that diet much..I eat a little beef but not much and my heart doctor is happy with the venison diet..I don't like Antelope and deer hamburger for whatever reason, and I grew up on a ranch with a lot of antelope on it..I like a young Javalina cooked over mesquite coals now and then..I prefer chicken to quail etc, but I'll eat the game birds anytime..not crazy about dove, but they are OK..love wild turkey especially those that have been feeding on chili Pequins, now that's a meal for a king...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what it is about the deer I shoot in northern MN all taste great; no gamey flavor at all.

I am beginning to wonder how much "gamey" taste is due to gut shot deer.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote