New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 enough for elk?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Being from and hunting only in Texas my whole like, the largest caliber rifle I own is a 270. It's looking good that I'll finally get to travel north this year and go on my first elk hunt. Is a 270 enough gun for elk or should I consider acquiring a larger caliber weapon? Not that having to get another gun is a bad thing [Big Grin] .

Thanks
MDH

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .270 is certainly enough for elk, just ask the thousands of hunters around the Pacific Northwest who use them every year.

Good luck on your hunt.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 270 will work fine. I have killed a lot of elk over the years, several of them with a 270 and my wife has also killed a few with a 270. We have never had any problems. Shot placement is more critical with a 270 than a larger calibur and you have to limit the range a little more than with a bigger gun. Use a heavy bullet and place your shot well and you will not have any problems. If you just cannot live without another gun, one of the flavors of 338 is just about the ideal elk gun.

Posts: 545 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MDH1053;
As long as you can do your part the .270 Win will do it's part. [Wink]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
The 270 works best on elk using 150 grain bullets and placing your shot carefully. I'm surprised you haven't gotten more replies to this---some may propound that a 338 Win is the bare minimum---but the 270 will do just fine. I always take a backup rifle in case something unfortunate happens. Take whatever you shoot the best!

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot placement is critical with any caliber - I lost a fine bull one year because I hit it in the paunch with a 210 NP in a 338 WM - went down at the shot - 200 yds - but I knew by the way it went down I hit it too far back - waited a few minutes then went after it in the timber - it got up and walked over the ridge - all I could could see was trees and I shot a few of them until no more ammo - very frustrating day - hunted for two days and could not find him. I have now worked up a load with a 160 NP semi spitz in my 270 = 2850 fps - it has the BC of a 25 cal 120 gr bullet (.435) - so it will carry well - hit hard - and deliver maximum energy - should be fine elk medicine.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elk are quite tough. Don't expect to bowl them over with anything. I wouldn't be afraid to use a 270 though if it was all I had.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
In truth, I'd prefer a 338WM, but I'd not be afraid to use a 150gr 270. In the right conditions, I'd use an even lighter gun, but let's not start that up again.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell yes! But overated as far as I am concerned!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
With a good 150gr (Swift, NP, etc.) bullet I would say it is a minimum. I have to hunt in elk country as a nonres. I only get a week or so to hunt so I am not willing to wait for the perfect shot that I think is needed when hunting w/ the .270 class carts. I have toted a .280 on occasion, but my choice leans to .30-06/180gr & up for big bull elk. There is a big difference in size btwn. bulls vs cows & spikes. You'll be hooked after you knock down your 1st bull elk. [Big Grin]
I like riflemans load soggestion for the .270.

[ 04-25-2003, 04:35: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MDH1053:
Being from and hunting only in Texas my whole like, the largest caliber rifle I own is a 270. It's looking good that I'll finally get to travel north this year and go on my first elk hunt. Is a 270 enough gun for elk or should I consider acquiring a larger caliber weapon? Not that having to get another gun is a bad thing [Big Grin] .

Thanks
MDH

Take bullets made for a thick animal.

Tom

Posts: 14428 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If these bulls could talk they would say HELL YA a 270 works on elk.
The first one is my daughters. It fell to a single shot from her savage 110, 270 with a 130 gr hornady at 2800 fps.
The second fell to a single shot from my pre 64, 270 with a 140 gr hornady at 3000 fps. Ron
 -
 -

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep !
It will work on moose or grizz too.

When I was in AK a couple years ago moose hunting, one of the other hunters out of that camp killed a 60" big old moose with one shot from a .270.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I have a good buddy that hunts with a .270, never shoots over 200 yards, makes fun of us that do, always gets his Bull. I cannot remember when he didn't make a one shot kill. He uses tough premium bullets from 130 to 150 grains. He respects my .340 Wby and .358 STA, and I respect his .270, and both agree, shot placement is more important than chambering. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Be careful with todays elk,most wear soft body armour and the average .270 or 06 will simply bounce off of them.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

I saw your name pop up on this thread and I was sure you were going to post those pics. I just love 'em. That pic of your daughter and her bull is a work of art. Two beauties!!! You're a very lucky man. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska, Thanks. I am very proud of her she did a great job on that hunt for that bull. That picture was sent to the Idaho fish and Game for the possable use on a cover shot fo the big game regs. The problem was the blood! They liked the picture but not the blood and refused the picture.
Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Ron, those are fine bulls indeed! My friend Mark Dobrenski who posts here calls his 270 "The 30-06 Improved"... that gives me a kick!

BTW, anyone even semi decent with photo-shop could take the blood out of that photo and it'd be impossible to know it was ever there... just a thought.

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that a 270 would be plenty but I like my 7mm rem mag. But like every one else I would have to say shot placement is the most important thing to.

Posts: 28 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 270 will certainly work.I have even killed elk with the 257 wby but I now use bullets of at least 7mm and preferably .308" for a little extra insurance.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And then use deep-penetrating bullets??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad, I call mine a 27-06 sometimes too [Big Grin] . I offered to take the blood out with paint shop but the F&G wanted to use the orignal picture.
Ron

<257 AI>
posted
Ron, didn't you know that elk aren't supposed to bleed when you shoot them? [Roll Eyes] I guess it's supposed to be a bloodless entry and exit. What do these guys want?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well considering that most of your wildlife management is made up of borderline PETA members and woman,they'd like it to be a sport like golf. But they sure enjoy the shit out of the money generated from hunting licenses.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Blood is wrong...Blood is not PC...

I take pains these days to make sure any animals I shoot while hunting does not bleed.

When I see blood, I faint...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
270 with premium 150gr bullets is all you will need. So many people use 270's it aint even funny. Most people just don't want to get hit with the recoil of bigger guns when a 270 kills everything they shoot. [Wink] On the other hand sounds like a perfect exuse to the wife for another gun. [Smile]

Posts: 83 | Location: butte, montana | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote