New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk Ivory
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I frequent four different forums (thanks to Saeed's tip) and each one has a Big Game or Elk thread. None have ever mentioned elk ivory in all the threads I've read. People seem to be missing a very unique momento of a successful hunt.

I asked the guide on my New Mexico hunt to save me the ivory. He was surprised I asked. He said most people don't think and/or know about it. He laid a small 2x4 against them and hit it with a rock. They shot out. Best dental work I've seen. I didn't make jewelry out of them, but I did bring them to Venezuela with me.

On my desk is a 5x7 photo of the 6x6 bull, two empty .308 Win hulls, two recovered bullets, and two ivory "molars". The head is in storage in Plano. I've never seen the shoulder mount, and won't get to for a few years, but I can roll the ivory around in my hand and remember everything about that hunt.

Do you keep your ivory; and if not, why not?

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know anything about it until my Taxidermist mentioned it to me. I did get and saved my Elk Ivory, and also saved one of the larger molars. Haven't done anything with them yet, though.

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I saved the ivory, but have to admit that I didn't know a thing about it until my very experienced elk hunting buddy mentioned it to me. I was happy with the big 6x6 rack, some photos and enough meat to feed my family for a long time! The ivory makes a neat addition to the trophy - don't know what I'm going to do with it, but the teeth are a neat reminder of the hunt. Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To really get the color out of them. Buy a can of copenhagen.. put them in it (cover them up) close the lid for a day or two. This really brings out the brown color and when a jewler or who ever makes them into whatever .. after they polish them it gives a great contrast in color.. you won't be dissapointed.
I have a really great guy here in Cody who makes some really outstanding things with ivory if anyone would like his info .. just e-mail me.

I've seen some really neat mens and women jewelry made from them.. It is kinda a really special sentiment here in the west to give your significan other a piece of jewelry made from one of the ivories...

Posts: 94 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 24 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Rogue 6>
posted
I kept some of mine, and gave some away to other hunters in camp that may not have gotten an elk. Bugle Magazine has adds for custom jewlry makers that make rings and watches for men, and womens jewrly. I have the whistlers from my largest bull above my reloading bench. Every time I think about having something made, I end up gettin a new toy instead.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I drill a hole in the root and thread them onto the thong of my outback hat. The hole is slightly smaller than the diameter of the thong and I can slide the ivory's up tight below my chin to keep my lid on in the wind.

Posts: 40 | Location: Casper,Wy. | Registered: 04 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Rimrock>
posted
I've got a whole sack full of 'em. Quite a few of my own, but lots from my meat processing days. Amazing how many people didn't know or didn't care about 'em. Of course, we were happy to take 'em out for people, but if they didn't ask....

I always used to pop 'em out with a knife, and still do in the field, but an ex-employee showed me a slick way to extract them if the head is off. Stand it muzzle up, and use a piece of wood like a hammer handle or something similar shaped. Put the base of it against the front edge of the tusk, and give it a sharp rap with something. Pops 'em right out, nice and clean as can be. Sometimes they'll fall into the back of the mouth or throat, which makes it a tad problematic to retrieve them, so watch that.

Only reason I still have that sackful, is that I've never seen any jewelry or anything made out of them that lights my fire. Rings don't do much for me, and my wife likes earrings but elk ivory ones are just kinda, I dunno, not her style. I've made some zipper pulls with 'em, and so far that's about my favorite.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My guide and meat processor both mentioned it to me -- we went down the street (this is Chama, NM I'm talking about) to the Jewellers' Bench and I had two simple pendants made up, one gold for Mom, one silver for my girlfriend. The girlfriend is now my fiancee so I guess it worked ...

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
When I got my first elk, a big 7x6, we dug them out, at least what was left of them. They were worn completely flat but had a lot of staining and character. I never could wear any jewelry, allergic I guess, and that included my wedding ring. So I had it melted down and a real noce ring made for my wife. The guy in Colorado who did the work said he'd never seen such a worn tooth and had to change the ring mount to accomodate it. At any rate, it will be something that's always treasured in our family. Now if I had some extra money, I could get a matching pair of earrings made for her to match it from some of the other ivory I have!!!!!

bowhuntr [Wink]

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I drilled them and but them on my bear claw necklace that hangs in my den. I never wear it but I can look at it and remember the good times.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the old days they were used to make watch fobs. But now wrist watches have taken over. Killing elk for little more than a couple of teeth led to laws that if you kill it you have to take it all out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Europe people tend to collect the canines from red stags, which I assume are identical if only maybe a tad smaller than the elk ones.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I kept mine for years, wanting to do something with all of them at the same time. I finally decided on a heavy silver necklace. My local Jeweler make a silver cover for the gum end of each Ivory, with a wire holder that would attach it to the necklace. I then mounted the necklace with dangling Ivorys on my black cowboy hat. Looks fantastic, I have had many offers, but it is not for sale. You can also add to it each year. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
I save mine from the elk I take. I have had several made into earrings and pendents for family menbers. When done right and tastfully, they make very nice jewelry items.

Many jewelers in my town/area make "custom" jewelry with them and don't charge the ourtageous prices the jewelers who advertise in Bugle Magazine do.

If you are on an elk hunt out here and do take one, drop off the ivories at one of the local jewelers, they will ship them back to you just like if you dropped off the head and cape to a local taxidermist.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I give up what is elk ivory. I have see pictures but have never seen them in person. Not many elk in florida............... [Wink]

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The upper "canine" teeth are the elks ivory.

Posts: 40 | Location: Casper,Wy. | Registered: 04 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't save em anymore. Heck,I haven't figured out what to do with the ones I have now.

Posts: 42 | Location: washington | Registered: 05 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
I kept one from my only "BIG" bull from Montana. Gonna have a ring made outta it with a gold nugget I panned in Alaska set in it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone just wants to get rid of them, My girl friend likes them sewed to her buckskin dress.
waksupi@aboutmontana.net

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I first started hunting elk, some 35 years ago, An experienced friend showed me what elk ivory was, so I started collecting it from the elk I shot. I drilled each one and strung it onto a long, heavy piece of monofilament. It hangs in my gun room, and is tacked on the wall. Whenever I look at it, I can relive countless enjoyable hours I have spent chasing the magnificent beasts.
Regards, Eagleye.

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen neat little carved wood plaques that taxidermists use to mount boar tusks. Seems like that would be a good way to make a trophy for a cow elk.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do both bulls and cows have ivory? Or just Bulls?

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a set of ivories set in a ring, both in one ring, I wear it every day and it reminds me of the hunt and the great time I had. The ivories from my Red Stag were set in my money clip and again I carry it all the time and have the reminder of the great stalk on the Highlands. Little things like these are with me always - it is damn hard to carry a shoulder mount with you, eh.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C-ROY,
I just looked over my cow skull and did not find any different looking teeth. I echo your question.
Gene [Smile]

Posts: 125 | Location: Altus, OK,USA | Registered: 30 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C-ROY, and Gene.
Yes cows do have them but they are somewhat smaller than the bulls. Gene, the teeth in question are on the top almost at the front. (elk have no real front teeth)
I have most of the teeth out of the elk I have killed. Spikes and young cows have teeth that are worthless for rings and such. The older the animal the more color they get, but not always. The cow I got this year was a older cow. Her front bottom teeth were cupped. Her molars were worn but not real bad. Her Ivories were worn and not very stained. The best looking set I have seen was out of the Big 6x6 my daughter shot. Some day I want to make us something out of these. One tooth for her one for me. That way we both can look at it and remember a great time together.
Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote