THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Hunting season over before it started.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting season over before it started.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well Tuesday night honey do's list wasn't very kind to me, I waited 9 years to draw an elk tag and I have to turn it in real quickly so I can get my points back to use for next year. Anyway I fell about 15 feet from a ladder replacing a window screen on a second story window. I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story.

Just arrived via ambulance at local ER waiting on X-rays.

X-rays, I'm no Dr but even I can read these!

One more ambulance ride, and a quick surgery my leg is now in traction. Swelling has to go down before they can try to put my leg back together. Looks like I'll be out of work at least 6 months.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Holy FUCKING OUCH! Get well soon, sorry to hear about your season

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. Accidents anytime are no good. Having something like that happen just as a hunting season starts is even more rough.

Wishes for a full recovery.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
OUCH!

I can relate to your situation (medical emergency weeks before a long anticipated hunt) but mine had a happy outcome.

Hopefully the docs can patch you up like new. Be sure to follow through with all of the physical therapy orders. It's amazing how fast muscles atrophy when not used.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Damn man, that sucks. I hope you heal up well and are rarin' to go for next fall (the season that is Smiler ).

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That doesn't look like any fun at all. Really bad luck!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The pictures make it look like you broke it. Wink

Tough luck there, I lost a caribou trip to Alaska in 1985 for a busted knee.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Get well soon and do the physical therapy!!!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 599 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch! Get well soon!

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
That sucks! Hope you recover fully and quickly.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
DANG!! Heal quick!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geez,thats some serious breakage there.Do exactly what the Doctor tells you to do.Heal fast.OB thumbdown

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
That is horrible(the break and the tag). I glad to hear that you can get your points back. Get well soon!

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate all the prayers and well wishes, and hope they keep coming. Talked with the orthopaedic surgeon today and a full recovery isn't probably in the cards. They think the best option is to fuse the ankle to prevent arthritis and long term chronic pain. So running a mile or a marathon for fun is probably not in my future, but I should have decent mobility without needing a cane or crutches which is the good news. I'll probably need to loose that weight I always thought I should but never got around to as well. It definitely wasn't bad news and I'm grateful and blessed for that, but it never is the news we want to hear.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really appreciate all the prayers and well wishes, and hope they keep coming. ... but I should have decent mobility without needing a cane or crutches which is the good news. ... It definitely wasn't bad news and I'm grateful and blessed for that, but it never is the news we want to hear.

Amen to the above... prayers for a good healing!

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I had a very similar injury in '99 where it also broke in 7 places in my heel as well as my ankle. I chose not to have it fused and have not regretted it. It took about a year for me to get where I could stick for a few miles of walking. I have had some paim over the years, but nothing so bad it kept me from hunting.

I packed on 46lbs in the first 6 months from inactivity and Ben & Jerry's. Then I bought a kayak which helped me loose most of the extra weight just as quickly.

Best of luck in your recovery and take careful consideration before you have it fused.

Art

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
That pic made me cringe.

Get well, heal, do your PT, and sorry about the tag. Next time you draw, tell your wife you can't help her with anything until after elk season.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Keep your chin up my friend

If you would have fallen on your head you wouldn't have hurt a thing!!

Dropping by to visit you today buddy.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Ughh...that pic made me want to puke...wow...get well soon...all my best.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That a pretty nasty looking break, I'm not surprised by the recommendation for fusion.

I certainly wouldn't disappointed to be told I would never run a marathon. But, take the PT afterwards serious to regain as much mobility as possible.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that sucks majorly...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Ughh...that pic made me want to puke...wow...get well soon...all my best.

I wanted to puke a few times myself!

Nice elk ya got, keep killing things for those of us who can't.

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
That makes me cringe.

After I blew my thumb half off. My physical therapist put it like this, the patients who work hard and do what we say recover. Those who wont put in the work don't. She then tried her best to make me pee my pants while determining the lost range of motion.

Good luck and a speedy recovery!!!

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Quick reckovery!

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you end up having to have it replaced you should seriously consider the "In Bone' ankle replacement.

I had mine replaced with one about 6 years ago and it is great.

I had similar damage, that the you have, repaired but after 15 years of little to no use of the ankle and constant pain went with the replacement.

Best decision I have ever made.
shane

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is THE worst!!
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

(Note to self, Stay off ladders 6 months before hunting season)

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holy Crap that hurts! I thought I was bad the year my daughter, 12 at the time, and I were trailing a deer she shot and I rolled my ankle so badly it ripped the end off the tibia bone, but that was nothing compared to this.

Get well soon. Let us know how the surgery comes out.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn man! Get well soon, always next year for the elk hunt.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:

Hey you too Aaron, Snellstrom told me you had a little incident about the same time. Hope you're up and hunting/guiding in no time as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have pre-op on Monday and surgery on Thursday, I will keep everyone posted.

Thank you all!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got some new hardware to wear for the next 6-12 weeks. Say hello to roboleg!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
If you would have fell on your head and had that type of apparatus attached to your chest and scull we could have at least used you in and around camp.

I figured we could have sat you up high.....watching several hills, valleys and ridge lines.

Snell could leave you a jug of Mount Gay and Graybird would leave you his pink blankie that RSnellstrom gave him in 2011 to keep you warm all day

Attache a window mount directly to the halo and had you a ridged spotter no doubt!!!

We could pick you up each evening and get the low-down on game movement for the day......

As long as Snell didn't leave you too much rum

Wink Heal up good friend

We still have lots of chapters and pages to write in our book of

"This Misadventures of Elk/Deer Camp"

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
yuck

donttroll

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted's and everyone elses sense of humor helps a lot. I couldn't talk the insurance into leasing me one of those all terrain wheelchairs with the tracks, if I had I might have tried to make elk camp this year. When Ted shoots his bull I could have packed it out for him, like he's done for others a few times in the past.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very sad to see this Taylor.

Wish you well, quick and complete recovery.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68790 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Very sad to see this Taylor.

Wish you well, quick and complete recovery.

Thank you Saeed.

I'm doing well, and doing my PT everyday (well almost). But I'm doing something a little physical everyday, yesterday I dug post holes by hand from a folding chair talk about awkward! However, I've made some great friends through our church and someone comes over when I really need help with the big things. They were over Sunday afternoon and split about 2.5 cords of wood for me.

I think the biggest factor to my speedy recovery is not getting shot by my wife. We've never spend this much time together and it's stressful on her having me around this much. Especially when I'm in pain I get grumpy to say the least. I also get very angry when she chases me around the house and doesn't let me do little things on my own.

When I/we survive this I know our marriage will be stronger for it. I know my wife loves me and that's why she hovers. I also know I owe her an apology almost every day for being an ass when I get behind on my pain meds or frustrated when she scolds me for trying to do too much on my own.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:

Hey you too Aaron, Snellstrom told me you had a little incident about the same time. Hope you're up and hunting/guiding in no time as well.

Yes sir, back at it already. Guided my first hunt this past weekend, we took a 186" whitetail - great hunt.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great news Aaron! Hopefully I'll catch up to you in a few months.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had the hardware removed on Thursday, and was released from hospital on Saturday afternoon. During surgery the Dr's found I had a nerve running between one of the breaks and it was probably the main cause of the majority of the pain is was feeling these last few weeks. They were able to maneuver the nerve out from between the bones without any further damage to it.

Dr's told my wife that the nerve had sustained some damage but would heal up in 2-3 weeks. However if we had waited another week for surgery the bone probably would have closed up around it. Already the pain is a lot more manageable than before, and there are a lot fewer muscel spasms. Though the did harvest some bone graft and marrow from my right femur as well, so now my whole leg hurts, not just the lower portion.

posted Hide Post
Good luck Chad.

Posts: 19 | Location: Peyton, co | Registered: 04 June 2009Reply With Quote