New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antelope horn preparation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any hints of tips on mounting the sheaths back on the skull plate both for the taxidermist later and to keep from shrinking before measurement as much as possible. I think most taxidermists use plaster, but any tips would be appreciated.

Center of the Nation Outfitters

Posts: 39 | Location: Gillette Wy. | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Calvin,

That is a question I would ask you! Actually call Tom Hardesty/Atcheson Taxidermy in Butte 406-782-0569 He's been mounting goats for 44 years and has done 2 for me one of which you might recognize. He's very approachable and would be more than glad to give you whatever info you needed. Tell him I referred you or maybe that would not be a good idea as I think I owe him money.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might like this one Mark, He is 16 1/2 tall with 7 7/8 bases. He grosses 90 green and I don't want him to shrink up much before measuring. Shot him day before yesterday in the Red Desert. BTW if you are going to be home to accept a shipment I will get one sent to you this week. CT

Posts: 39 | Location: Gillette Wy. | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,
Great looking goat again! If Mark's guy can't help you out this guy can help.
My friend from AZ is a top notch taxidermist that has mounted some big AZ antelope and probably has some tips for you. His name is Clay Goldman http://www.mogollontaxidermy.com/

Call him and tell him I sent you and he would be glad to talk to you.

Jeremy

Jeremy Gugelmeyer
www.sagebrushhunts.com

Posts: 664 | Location: TX/KS | Registered: 06 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most of the guys just freeze them and then take them out of the freezer just in time to measure. its called cheating

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, I have had that recomendation several times already, but I'm going to stay above board! Nice to see you on here though!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My brother shot a 15+" lope that sat in our taxidermist's freezer for 12+ months. When it came out and was mounted the horns were a good 2" shorter. We know that the horns weren't switched because they had very distinctive prongs.

Does anyone know what caused that?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Calvin,

Yikes! Just a beautiful goat. Is that your best? I'm not letting any client see anything like that.

I'm home all the time until 28 Oct. Let me know what it all costs for the shipping and I'll send a check.

Congrats!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By far my best Mark, best I have ever seen alive or dead. Potentially will be in the top 10 or 15 ever killed in Wyoming and possibly top 50 or so all time ever anywhere.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Any more angles of pictures?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
My brother shot a 15+" lope that sat in our taxidermist's freezer for 12+ months. When it came out and was mounted the horns were a good 2" shorter. We know that the horns weren't switched because they had very distinctive prongs.

Does anyone know what caused that?

I have some 25 year old horns that have maybe shrunk 1/4" from when shot.Some were in the freezer a couple years before mounted.Sounds fishy to me.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cal Taylor:
You might like this one Mark, He is 16 1/2 tall with 7 7/8 bases. He grosses 90 green and I don't want him to shrink up much before measuring. Shot him day before yesterday in the Red Desert. BTW if you are going to be home to accept a shipment I will get one sent to you this week. CT
Thats a nice Goat.Congrats

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had them shrink more in the freezer than at room temps. I think he is a nice antelope but he is no where near a 90" one in my opinion. Ground shrinkage is the most severe type. Dr.C

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doccash, I realize that in that picture he doesn't look like what he is. But rest assured I'm familiar with measuring antelope and the first measurement of just over 90 inches was by a friend of mine. I just wrote down the numbers. I re scored him here again a couple times and he hasn't grossed less than 89 6/8 measuring him to as correct as I think possible. Now I'm well aware that he will shrink slightly in the next 60 days and the official B and C measurement can vary slightly. I still don't think he will net less that 88 no matter what. I will post a few more pictures as soon as I can.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always fill the horns with borax, I think that it is a recommended procedure. Dr.C

One of Us
posted Hide Post

A picture for scale. Never heard the borax deal. I just went ahead and filled them with plaster and put them back on the skull plate. Thats what a taxidermist that does alot of big heads reccomended.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The red desert is a great place to hunt i hunted that area 3 years in a row years ago when it was all checkerboard. The atlantic rim to the red desert is a magical place w/ a lot of memories for me. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No more comments on how it's not a 90 inch goat?

I realize the pic I posted isn't the best, but with a self timer and by myself it was the best I could do. But it does amaze me that it can be scored from a picture and be more accurate than the guy that has had a tape on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me tell you the rest of the story about the guy with the tape in his hand.At the CS ranch in Springer n.m. a few years ago all the hunters were elated that they had all killed record book antelope. They were nice ones for sure but not 82" ones for sure . After a conversation with the guides and a review of how they "measured" the antelope, they were taking three circumferance measurements below the prong! Guess what that makes a lot of inches! I was trying to be nice but since you got pissy: your antelope has nothing on top but large bases and big prongs. Noway will make 82" much less 90" Imo Dr.C

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Although I can't come up with 90 inches, that is one GREAT buck. Congrats.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, See if your calculator is working.

C1 7 6/8
C2 7 6/8
C3 4 Above the cutter!
C4 2 5/8

Cutter across the top to back center as per B&C book

6 4/8
Length
16 4/8

Left Horn

C1 7 6/8
C2 7 5/8
C3 3 7/8
C4 2 6/8

Cutter
6 1/8
Length
16 4/8

Once again green gross. Beyond that I have nothing more to say on the subject. Kind of like argueing with a pig. You can't win and the pig enjoys it. I WILL however post the official after the drying period in November or December.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Very nice Antelope Cal, congrats!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Point well taken Cal, but its not that I don't believe your numbers, I just don't believe those numbers go with the antelope pictured in this thread, sorry, Dr.C

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Cal,

What's your guess as to the score of this buck? For some reference, both horns have been officially scored at 20 6/8".

Side view:

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OutdoorWriter:Now there is something to this guy although a little light, he will score 88 to 91 inches Imo. Dr.C

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well the first "official" score is in. Just had an SCI measurer score officially at 89 1/8. I still have a month or so before I can have it measured for B&C. So I guess I must have been fairly close with my 89 to 90 inch gross score. See you in the record books!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I know you guys don't know Calvin but I do. I've hunted with him 3 times myself and have had several happy clients with him each year for the last 7 years. He is the most conservative on measurements of any outfitter we work with. I don't claim to be an antelope expert but if Cal tells me that goat scored 90 B&C green I would believe him unconditionally.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Cal!

Posts: 664 | Location: TX/KS | Registered: 06 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Borax will cure a hide so it might work on Antelope horns..

It is used a lot in Mexico to cure goat hides in the small communities. the hides are a tad stiff but they never spoil of slip the hair so treated..I had a unborn fawn hide for years that a Mexican cowboy gave me, it lasted for years until my dog found it..He simply rubbed Borax into the hide the same as you do salt..He also have me a rattle snake skin so treated and it lasted a long time. Seems to me its better than salt??????? but I am not a taxidermist.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
That is a realy great goat. HUGE BASE!!!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote