Tools

New Gun Law in House Keep Watch
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted
https://www.congress.gov/bill/...e-bill/5717/all-info

Gun Violence Prevention and Community Safety Act of 2020

This bill makes various changes to the federal framework governing the sale, transfer, and possession of firearms and ammunition. Among other things, the bill does the following:

generally requires individuals to obtain a license to purchase, acquire, or possess a firearm or ammunition;
raises the minimum age—from 18 years to 21 years—to purchase firearms and ammunition;
establishes new background check requirements for firearm transfers between private parties;
requires law enforcement agencies to be notified following a firearms-related background check that results in a denial;
creates a statutory process for a family or household member to petition a court for an extreme risk protection order to remove firearms from an individual who poses a risk of committing violence;
restricts the import, sale, manufacture, transfer, or possession of semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices;
restricts the manufacture, sale, transfer, purchase, or receipt of ghost guns (i.e., guns without serial numbers);
makes trafficking in firearms a stand-alone criminal offense;
requires federally licensed gun dealers to submit and annually certify compliance with a security plan to detect and deter firearm theft;
removes limitations on the civil liability of gun manufacturers;
allows the Consumer Product Safety Commission to issue safety standards for firearms and firearm components;
establishes a community violence intervention grant program; and
promotes research on firearms safety and gun violence prevention.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
If this passes the House I hope that it gets voted on in the Senate before the November election. Republicans are at risk to loose the Senate in November.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Cocksucking Libs
Why doesn’t that surprise me

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Come on, you liberal Dems- lil mikey, pussycat, pimple, etc- defend this POS..... barf

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13253 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capt.P:

Sounds like you need to take
this bastard governor of yours
fishing! Then let him walk home!!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that isn't state it's federal.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
WORTHLESS DEMOCRATS!!!

Posts: 2330 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Breathtaking. Checks every box on the wet-dream issue list. Bernie Sanders would have refused to sign it as president...

Would Donald Trump be willing to potentially lose an election by vetoing this hell-of-a-mess?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14445 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt. Purvis:

This bill makes various changes to the federal framework governing the sale, transfer, and possession of firearms and ammunition. Among other things, the bill does the following:

generally requires individuals to obtain a license to purchase, acquire, or possess a firearm or ammunition;
raises the minimum age—from 18 years to 21 years—to purchase firearms and ammunition;
establishes new background check requirements for firearm transfers between private parties;
requires law enforcement agencies to be notified following a firearms-related background check that results in a denial;
creates a statutory process for a family or household member to petition a court for an extreme risk protection order to remove firearms from an individual who poses a risk of committing violence;
restricts the import, sale, manufacture, transfer, or possession of semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices;
restricts the manufacture, sale, transfer, purchase, or receipt of ghost guns (i.e., guns without serial numbers);
requires federally licensed gun dealers to submit and annually certify compliance with a security plan to detect and deter firearm theft;
allows the Consumer Product Safety Commission to issue safety standards for firearms and firearm components;

Will not prevent a single crime!

Law abiding citizens punished for lax laws!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67485 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Will not prevent a single crime!

That is kind of the problem,but there are laws on the books that are not enforced at all.I wonder if there enough trees to hang all the slimy bastards who are trying to pass more draconian laws to control the people who are not criminals.Then they let criminals out of the prisons and crime rises so they can use that as a statistic for these "new laws".OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

What is wrong with that? If a felon tries to buy a firearm, he should be arrested.

Again, why not?

You want to help deter gun thefts from FFL holders? Stop publishing the list of FFL holders!!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

What is wrong with that? If a felon tries to buy a firearm, he should be arrested.
A denial may not necessarily mean the person is a felon.A Red flag law could tag him even if he did nothing wrong Red Flag laws make you prove your innocence.Kind of against the Constitution.
So,I sell or give a gun to my Son,Cousin,friend and I can be accused of a (Trafficking in Guns offense?)
Again, why not?

You want to help deter gun thefts from FFL holders? Stop publishing the list of FFL holders!!

You do not have a well thought out comment.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:

A denial may not necessarily mean the person is a felon.A Red flag law could tag him even if he did nothing wrong Red Flag laws make you prove your innocence.Kind of against the Constitution.
So,I sell or give a gun to my Son,Cousin,friend and I can be accused of a (Trafficking in Guns offense?)
Again, why not?

You do not have a well thought out comment.

If a felon does try to buy a gun, he should be arrested; right now nothing is done. Red flag laws have to do with removing guns after petitioning a state court. I don't agree with them, but I do think if a felon attempts to buy a gun he or she should be arrested.

Selling a gun to your relatives (or even two or three) is not trafficking in guns. Just Google the topic.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
New Jersey already has most of that.
Dem test area, same as 1968

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If a felon does try to buy a gun, he should be arrested; right now nothing is done. Red flag laws have to do with removing guns after petitioning a state court. I don't agree with them, but I do think if a felon attempts to buy a gun he or she should be arrested

I do agree with this, and only this, part!

I got a denial a few years ago, no follow up, nothing.

If a felon attempts to purchase a firearm he has committed a crime and he needs to go back to jail!

Posts: 41872 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One is not just denied when on the background check. The FFL is told why. I got denied once. I had not got my address switched over. My DL had the old address.

I agree with some of the provisions outlined above. I have no issue with an FFL having an affirmative duty to contact local LE over a denial.

The Feds have the right to raise the age to purchase to 18. I do not support it, but hell they can’t buy cigarettes and should not be voting.

Red Flag laws are very similar to EPO/DVO laws same procedure, and yes the EPO/DVO process is abused. I only put my foot down objecimg to bonds on assaults and domestic violence. The bonds that do happen in the even of strange assault, I have gotten to judge to order surrender of firearms pending adjudication. I say this to say Red Flag Laws are bad policy that can be achieved in other ways, but they may be constitutional.

There are enough poison pills that I do not support the legislation.

The provision about trafficking being a stand alone crime seems redundant to me bc, I have read Fed. cases where some one was charged, convicted, and conviction upheld for trafficking firearms wo an FFL.

The Remington trigger debacle made the Consumer Product Saftey Commission issue. The Feds currently cannot order a recall on firearms like they can with vehicles. The firearms industry may voluntarily order a recall. I am two kinds of this. Remington made the CPSC appear very needed.

I do not have a problem with the FFL security Plan certification, and stop publishing the list. A local gun store just can’t figure out why they keep getting robbed. Unsecured glass windows half the size of walls with guns standing on the other side seems like a clue.

For the record if one is too young to buy tobacco, too young to buy alcohol, too you to be sentenced to life or death for killing other humans (big case working its way up from KY), and to young to buy guns, then one should be too young to vote or selective service.

Posts: 11407 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That bill is federal sponsored by the congressman from ATL, Hank Johnson. He is the one that asked the admiral if he was afraid Guam would tip over and sink when more marines were added to the base on Guam.

I am pretty certain his district is downtown area of Atlanta, need I say more.All 18 cosponsors are Yankee Democrats.

Chicago, BHO's hometown with the strictest gun laws in the land can't stop the weekend shootings, what's the point of more laws, law abiding folks are not doing the shootings.Chicago loses more to thugs with guns than the virus, but you don't read about that.

The powers to be there did ask them to not shoot during the pandemic due to limited hospital space.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I just keep it simple. I oppose all gun legislation. Never does any good in modern times to compromise. Why? There is NEVER reciprocation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Canada just banned “assault weapons.” I do not support this proposed legislation.

I do believe in nuance.

If you are prohibited and try to purchase you should be reported to state police, your local law enforcement, FBI, and ATF.

The attempt to purchase should be a Class B felony with mandatory sentencing requirements at both State and Federal level.

I think 18 year olds should be able to purchase, but if 18 year olds can’t purchase firearms then they should not be permitted to vote or register for selective service.

Congress has federally prohibited 18 year olds from other majority privileges alcohol and tobacco purchases. Most states will not allow 18 year olds to rent cars. However, those activities are not Constitutional guaranteed Rights.

I do think complete stonewalling of any firearms legislation will cause more people to view the Firearms Lobby as part of the problem. Everyone, please note that I said any not all.

As I have said before, there is no such thing as an absolute right. The 1st Amendment which is the most preferred right by the Courts and the left even has limits.

I see know reason why theft prevention plan should not have to be presented to the ATF, so long as the ATF is not granted unmitigated discretion in approving the plan.

Did you know right now if you have a “home FFL”, folks still do, the ATF can enter your home without a warrant.

Posts: 11407 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to sidetrack the discussion but I was at a gunshop picking up my approved suppressor and a guy was doing the same. I overheard the dealer and buyer saying how weird it was that he was approved for one, then denied for the second one and then approved for the third one.
More proof that the Feds can't get it right even when there's stringent checks.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re the inability of the feds to get the backgrounds checks right: have you seen who's running the FBI in recent years? These clowns are the most corrupt, partisan jackasses in DC and half of them should be hung for treason.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 252 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
LHEYM, You are correct. I let my FFL go when Bill Clinton was elected as it was a total harassment. You had to sign off 24-hour access to your property w/o a warrant, a schematic of your alarm system, a description of where every firearm was placed, + the fee was tripled.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
KISS...oppose all

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C.:
New Jersey already has most of that.
Dem test area, same as 1968

I dimly remember having to show ID and sign for ammunition that could be fired in a pistol, a federal requirement back in 1974. 22 RF, too.
That lasted about as long as the seat-belt-interlock, and backfired in similar ways.
People forget over the long term and have to do a re-run.
If Biden can be persuaded to publicly support HR5717, it might sink his candidacy in the Rust Belt. So far, he's been quiet.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14445 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 2nd amendment is clear.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Posts: 19444 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Bill of Rights also says, “Congress shall make no laws.”

We through the Incorporation Doctrine have expanded that limitation to State Legislatures based on the type of right or activity the State Legislature is trying to limit.

We can talk about what should be or what we want, but the fact is no right is unlimited. To say other wise, is not factual and not helpful.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

DAMN! why don't they just put a SWASTICA on our flag?
The above was the first law put on the people of Germany, by Adolf Hitler. The Demarcates may as well chant SEG HAIL before opening congress!

Wake up Ladies and gentlemen! The constitution, and the bill of rights are about the be burned.
by these NATSIES!

………………………………………………………………… patriot oldMacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Capt. Purvis:

(Will not prevent a single crime!)

NO you are wrong! It will make what we call crime today, the Hitler LAW legal LAW, with the bill above!

......…………………………...…... patriot MacD37

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI the senate version of this bill is S3254 introduced by Elizabeth Warren. AKA Pocahontas, It VERY important that ALL gun owners get to the voting booths in november. If the dems take over, this WILL pass

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote