Find
Notify
Tools

Alabama Turkey Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted
Spring turkey season has been open a couple of weeks here in Alabama. Killed a nice gobbler this morning... 22 pounds, 10 inch beard, 1.25 inch spurs.

Last week I killed an odd turkey. He had two beards, which is not the weird part, as we have killed several double and triple bearded toms over the years. The odd thing was, he did not have any spurs, none, nada, nothing. There was only a small bump under the leg scale where his spurs should have grown.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice birds. congrats.

I killed a Eastern gobbler several years ago with no spurs, looked just like yours. Killed a Merriams the same year with no beard....

Birmingham, Al

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Good on ya!

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I've been wondering what the Andy Turkey Count was for 2015. Sitting on number three here in Jackson. When I next see you I'll tell you about the opening day bird I killed with low brass #8 shot. Lucky for me, not so much for the gobbler.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice birds Congrats

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Nice turkey! I really like the way you set up for pictures. I bet your photo album is a sight to behold.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

I killed a bird with just a bump on on leg and nothing on the other a few years ago. Big thick paint brush of a beard too.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Andy, I packed out number four this AM. What say you?

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will - I say, what is the limit for Spring Turkey down your way???? Congrats and keep up the good work.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member

quote:
Originally posted by safari-lawyer:
Andy, I packed out number four this AM. What say you?

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Way to go Will.

I killed my third gobbler the other day in Tennessee. We can kill 5 in Alabama & 4 in Tennessee.

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice bird I get to kill one in my area it would be nice to be able to chase more birds for sure.

Posts: 19455 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in Alabama in Feb for business. No turkey hunting then, but I did go striper fishing on Lake Martin - hammered them. I love Alabama - it is the only state I ever first set foot on via parachute.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7576 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote