New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 Mauser Question
 Login/Join

<harkm>
posted
I am somewhat interested to buy a rifle in 7x57. What manufacturers make rifles in this caliber? Is 7x57 made in anything without a Mauser action? Any recommendations?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington has sometimes made the Model 700 in 7X57, and Winchester has sometimes made the Model 70 in 7x57. I'm sure there are others too. If you go to gunsamerica.com, for example, and put 7x57 in the custom search option, you will turn up a number of 7x57 rifles, many of them not in Mauser actions.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 01-07-2002).]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<harkm>
posted
Thanks for the tip. I did just that. I guess there aren't many rifles around in this caliber as just a few (non custom) rifles popped up on the search.

<thomas purdom>
posted
Hi Harkm: In addition to the above mentioned rifles, Ruger manufactures the Mark II standard in 7x57mm Mauser and I just recently purchased a CZ550 American from CZ of America in Kansas City, Kan., in that caliber. There are several imports that have it in the 7x57mm Mauser, some of those are way out of my price range. The Ruger and CZ are in the $400 to $500 price range. It is the best little caliber I have run into. Guess that means I am one heck of a 7x57mm Mauser advocate. I know you can't go wrong with the caliber, but, it is most definitely a handloader's caliber, though Hornady does make a light mag in both American and Eurospec that kicks butt. If you do buy one you'll be joining what I consider an elite fraternity of hunters and shooters.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger No. 1 single shots. TTS

Posts: 84 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 December 2001Reply With Quote
<harkm>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by TTS:
Ruger No. 1 single shots. TTS

Thanks for the help guys. Is Ruger a good rifle? Mauser actions always seemed loose to me. Maybe I picked up a bad one. Any good experiences with Ruger M77?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the search engine at gunsamerica is case and space sensitive, so I suggest you try 7X57, 7x57, 7 X 57, and 7 x 57. Also, try just 7mm -- this will bring up a lot of other 7mms including the 7mm Remington Mags and 7mm Weatherby Mags and other wildcat 7mms. But at least this should get you a larger group of responses than what you received.

The 7x57 (also known as 7mm Mauser) caliber is one of the world's great ones, and most rifle makers have chambered rifles in it at one time or another.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LE270:
I think the search engine at gunsamerica is case and space sensitive, so I suggest you try 7X57, 7x57, 7 X 57, and 7 x 57.

I just tried gunsamerica and found that I was probably wrong about the search engine being case sensitive. But I also found several Remington 700 Mountain rifles in 7x57, as well as several Winchester Model 70 featherweights. Both of those have non-Mauser type actions.

<harkm>
posted
If you do buy one you'll be joining what I consider an elite fraternity of hunters and shooters.

Wow, you guys really love your 7x57s. I personally like the 6mm Rem, 257 Roberts, and 7x57 case. I have a 6mm Rem but want the 7mm bullet versatility for reloading purposes. Also, I have been lurking around the forum for a while and everybody seems to really like it. I have also considered the 7mm-08 but most on this forum seem to like the 7x57 more.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you handload, the 7 x 57 is the better choice, from a performance point of view. If you just use factory ammo, the 7mm-08 gives you more choices and performance. The Ruger is a good rifle generally. They used to have some accuracy problems, but now seem to be at least as good as any other domestic manufacturer. The Ruger #1 International with the Mannlicher stock in 7 x 57 would be my first choice from Ruger. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine had a Ruger 7x57 that I was in love with, it killed deer as far as you could see them. Alas, it was given to a family member at his death, and they don't hunt, just wanted something of value. They later took it to a gun show and sold it for less than I had offered. Great gun, great cartridge.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
<harkm>
posted
I read somewhere on this forum that Ruger 77 rifles don't have an adjustable trigger. Is this true? I hope it isn't because the trigger is important in my opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Harkm. The new Ruger triggers are not adjustable, but you can replace them with something else. I believe Timney makes one for the MK II Rugers.
You can add me to the 7x57 fan club. I have three. Nuff said?
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Sako, Tikka, Heym. All good quality Euro bolt rifles with no frills.

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Greg-montana>
posted
I have not heard the term 'Eurospec'. What is that? If I buy a 7x57 or say a 6.5 x 55, which I am considering doing, do I need to know something about chamber dimensions and die sizes?

<harkm>
posted
The new Ruger triggers are not adjustable, but you can replace them with something else. I believe Timney makes one for the MK II Rugers

Thanks. I looked at Timney's website http://www.timneytrigger.com/frameset.html and they definetly sell triggers for the Ruger 77 Mark II. Does anybody have any experience with these Timney triggers? Any help is appreciated.

<whisler>
posted
Timney Trigger was an easy installation on my 6.5 swede. Much better than the military.
Also NEF makes a singleshot in 7x57 with a 24 inch barrel, priced at just under $200.

<Reloader66>
posted
I own three CZ rifles 22 rimfire 22 Hornet, and 308. My CZ 308 model 550 heavy barrel is a real tack driver. All three are great shooting rifles. The accuracy with the CZ American is far better than the Ruger offerings I have owned.

<Reloader66>
posted
Almost forgot the CZ rifles come from the factory with single set fully adjustable triggers, and mine work perfectly.

<harkm>
posted
Reloader66, does CZ have a website? Where can I look at their rifles?

<Sunny>
posted
Hi, Harkm.

Look at this site.

www.czub.cz

I belive you can get every european rifle in 7*57

Good hunting.

<thomas purdom>
posted
Howdy: The Eurospec is a light mag version of the Hornady Light Magnum for the 7x57mm Mauser and the 6.5x55mm. The 139 grain bullet is loaded to a muzzle velocity of 2,950 fps, but I believe this is with a 26-inch barrel. If you are shooting with a 22 inch tube knock about 100 fps off this figure and whatever you do, DO NOT use these in anything but a modern rifle capable of the higher pressures. Now, for the CZ550 American. That's what I own in 7x57mm Mauser. It has a single set trigger which is really a neat little device, a 23.5 inch tube and 1x8.66 inch twist barrel. To be blunt, it is one hell of a rifle. I had to glassbed the action and freefloat the barrel, but after that it went from a 2.5 inch five shot group rifle to one that groups .68 inches to .75 inches with the 162 grain Hornady in handloads with H414, and that is while the thing is doing 2,820 feet per second. I'd have to say the action and barrel bedding was slopy on my particular rifle, but after the bedding job, that puppy shoots. It is not what I would consider a light mountain rifle. I have it topped with a Burris Fullfield 4x12. One of these days I want to re-finish the stock with Lindspeed Oil to a satin sheen after a boatload of winter work. I was very pleasantly surprised by the stocks on these rifles. I had read in another post that the CZ550 American stocks were somewhat Plain Jane Turkish Walnut stocks, but mine shows plenty of smokey streaks, tiger stripe and crotch figure in it. The darn thing is beautiful. CZ imports to CZ America in Kansas City, Kansas. Call information and they will get you the telephone number. Tell the customer service what you want (I would higly recommend the CZ550 American and not the European-styled model) and where you live and CZ will tell you your nearest dealer. I paid $485 for mine, but I had a Ruger Mark II across-the-board trade. I see on the internet in GunsAmerica and the like that you can pick them up for $429. Good luck. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact me. My e-mail is at the icons at the top of this post. Tom Purdom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Deerdogs,

Unfortunately when I looked SAKO and Tikka only list 7mm08's, I would have bought one otherwise.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<shall>
posted
I have a Ruger #1 and could not be more pleased. I did some work on the trigger and have a very nice 3.5 lb pull now. I replaced my Ruger M77 trigger with a Timney and love it too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
the finest 7x57s available are the Brno's made in the 1950's thru 70's..They are the Models 22F and 21M...They can be found in the gunlist quite often listed under English an European...They are presently bring from $800 to $1400...they are the finest commercial mauser (small ring) ever built and are of Custom rifle quality...I presently have one in 7x57 and 8x57..They have very long throats and can be loaded much hotter than standard chambered rifles can be..They all shoot little groups, never saw one that didn't....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Eric Mavor>
posted
I have a Heym 7x57, it's a lovely rifle and shoots beautifully. I don't know if there's a US importer, but there is a website, www.heym-waffenfabrik.de
They do both straight pull and turnbolt models