THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    ROSS SEYFRIED, GOOD OR BAD SOURCE OF KNOWLEDGE?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ROSS SEYFRIED, GOOD OR BAD SOURCE OF KNOWLEDGE?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted

Question:
Ladies and Gentlemen. I am very insterested in your oipnion of subject gun writer and whether you would trust his advice on hunting in general. Comments welcome in addition to voting. Thanks, jorge

Choices:
good
mediocre
bad

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Ross is known for his knowledge of guns, not necessary hunting. People who know him say he is a walking encylopedia....they also say he can be difficult to be around, kind of a pompas ass. I would pay money to see him and Ray square off Smiler

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like him and find him very informative. I spoke with him a few years back when he was still in Colorado and found him to be receptive and patient to my questions. I think that he may be the best all aroun firearms writer out there. There are a few better than him within esoteric interests but he covers what he writes about well. He's one of the few writers I remember admitting in print that he is not the best person to ask a particular question to. He's not a bad teller of hunting stories either. And he was an African PH for a while. Yeah, he may be a bit eccentric, but I deal with eccentrics every day so that is not a problem for me. FWIW, Ray stated a few years ago on AR that he would hesitate arguing anything concerning guns and hunting with Ross.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like most of us who have hunted for decades we have some strong opinons. Ross justs gets to put them on paper for others to read. Are they good or bad depending on ones view point.

I have given up reading most gun mags and rags because they all most say the same thing over and over. I read the same stuff for the past 40 plus years.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen. I am very insterested in your oipnion of subject gun writer and whether you would trust his advice on hunting in general. Comments welcome in addition to voting. Thanks, jorge

Jorge-What is your opinion about Ross as a source of knowledge?

I think Ross is a great writer and I hope he would write some books on the subjects. Ross is in my opinion the best Amerikan writer active today.

Cheers beer
/JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Johan: I'll let the poll develop a little more before I voice my opinion. But since he is well known and read, I'd be curious to see what the outcome id going to be . jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Ross and Finn Agaard are the gun writers I have followed over the last 25 years. Their writing just seemed to make sence with a minimum of BS and often times their conclusions were based on performance on real animals and lots of them. Both men worked as PH's in Africa and killed a significant amount of NA game.

I've missed Finn's plain understandable writing since his death and Ross seems to be more interested in old and obsolete cartridges these days.

Coming back to the question though I think I would take most of what Ross wrote to the bank. He has been there and done that.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12929 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Besides being a PH in Zambia and Tanzania, he has also won major competitions in pistol shooting. Not many writers in the business today have his background or level of skill in most areas of the outdoors. Shame there aren't more like him.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Ross has been there, done that and took home the prize for doing so. Never met him so can't comment on his person but he is the real deal with a gun in his hands. Then he can quite nicely inform you on it. If your in the habit of taking what someone writes to the bank, Ross would be a good one to listen to.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think his writing is informative and knowledgable. Quite unlike the general trend of current 'putor jockeys that write 2 cents worth of rather dubious info hidden among 10 dollars worth of 'putor generated bullshit and graphs.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never met the man but I consider him one of the few popular writers who knows of which he speaks. His knowledge of muzzleloaders and obsolete black powder/British cartridges doesn't have to take a back seat to anyone else. I have spent over 30 years studying and shooting blackpowder and Ross is a breath of fresh air. He shys away from those moder abominations with stainless barrels, scopes and plastic cupped pistol bullets. Eeeey gads!

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross is a good guy, I wanted to hunt with a guide and he was a reference. I called him to check out on the guide, we talked on the phone for two hours. I told him that because of what he wrote, I became a 6.5 junkie. Also that I was having ULA build me a Model 24 in 6.5 x 55 for this trip. He said that if I didn't like the rifle, here is my mailing address. I told him that i will will it to him, we both had a good chuckle of that. He likes the off the wall stuff. He is a good source. As for being a Pompass Ass, not at all. Like all men we have our days, if you were around me on Friday, I would have come off as one myself. Bad health news. Something I will have to deal with.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seyfried is one of the few writers that can hold my intrest though an artical . most other writers will simply put me to sleep . i trust what he says , but i take every thing i hear or read with a grain of salt.

the 45-70 132 years and counting

Posts: 42 | Location: northwest MT | Registered: 17 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
As for his writing ability I find him to be top shelf. I have enjoyed it and wish I could find more. He knows his stuff! I had one experience with him and found him to be a gentleman. I called him out of the blue when I was thinking of building a big bore and wanted his advice on a particular cartridge. He answered ny questions and was very nice and polite. At no time did he ever make me think I was intruding on him.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

As someone who grew up as hunting in India was slowly coming to an end and who met some of the old shikaris and got to know some of the very best personally, I enjoy Ross' writing immensely. He has an interest in old guns and a style that reminds me of people I have talked to, people who have multiple tiger and leopard trophies from the old days - the style of someone who has been there and done well.

I sometimes wish that he were in some of the hunting films that we get on OLN. It would definitely be better to see Ross conduct a hunt with unusual rifles than to watch Doug MacNeil or any of the other anchors on that channel. cheers

George Semel,

Hope you are well soon, my friend. I have had similar bad news last year - a part of life, I guess. I was very disappointed and angry initially but have now decided that the best way to deal with this is to enjoy life with good friends, my old dog, with guns and by spoiling my friends' and neighbours' children because my wife and I don't have any. Big Grin Take care of your health and do visit us when you come to Chicago.

Best wishes, everyone,

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George, Mehul,

As one living under a slow death sentence for the last decade all I have to offer is, "fight it and accept it every day". The fear and dissapointment go away after a while. That, and AR. It is my refuge.

Anyway, about Ross. I quit my subscription to Rifle and Handloader magazines when they gave him the boot. He seems to me to be looking for the basic truths and principles of guns and shooting. I suspect, but don't know, that at this point he only pulls the trigger on an animal because you must do that from time to time if you are hunting.

Since Finn Aagaard passed away, Ross is (IMO) the best writer out there. That is no dig at Ross. I was going to book a cow elk hunt at his ranch (just a few hours from where I live) just to get some meat for the winter and BS with him for a few minutes. Health declined, etc.

I am a relative novice at this powder burning business, but do do some ballistics consulting for the courts and otherwise. When our local chiropracter called and woke me up the other day to ask where he could get a good $250.00 to $300.00 .223 varmint rifle/deer rifle for his daughters to use (not to worry about the scope he had a 20 year old Bushnell ready to go), I wanted to scream, but did my best to be attentive and not ungracious (I think the double negative is the best description of that conversation). I am sure that gun writers have many conversations like that.

If he is pompous some days, well so am I. If his feet are made out of clay on other days, well, so are mine.

I know that he is truly passionate about the history and development of fine rifles and shooting them over the last 200 years. My life has been enriched by his passion.

I surmise that he is profoundly broken-hearted by knowing how things were, and how they are now. I know that feeling for myself.

About four years ago a magazine sent him down to Sonora to shoot a Coues deer a long way off with a synthetic stocked Weatherby rifle. He wrote a nice little story with no irony, no hint of elitism and no churlishness. That impressed me quite a bit.

I believe that he is impressed with himself to a moderate degree. If that were a crime many of us would be doing three to five in the big house; I would be doing at least seven years fixed.

If anyone knows who he is writing for these days, please let me know. I will subscribe to whatever.

He has done ok for a kid from a ranch in eastern Colorado.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are few out there that I like as much as Seyfried. Of his articles that I have read, I agree with a lot more than I disagree with!

Fergus

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lawndart - Ross is writing is still writing for "Double Gun Journal".

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Folks, it would be constructive that those of you who find Ross' work either mediocre or poor to validate your votes by way of a comment. Shortly I'm going to post another post regarding Ross that I think might be the locus for some "spirited debate" well, at least that is my intention. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With regard to his writing I've always found it interesting, informative, and well done. As for the man I regret I have not met him.

posted Hide Post
For more Seyfried, see "Seyfried on shoulder shots"

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like Ross' writing, especially with rare rifles that will never be within my abilities to afford. One that springs to mind was an artical on the .360 Express which he used to take an elk on his ranch, Elksong.
Elmer Keith is the only writer I've ever met, but would love to meet Ross.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
because of what he wrote, I became a 6.5 junkie

well, I never followed him that much, as he was always touting Weatherby Magnums....

But if he is converting hunters to the benefits of a 6.5 bore..... the guy can't be all bad... I'd even go as far to say, as that makes him some sort of a 'prince' in my book..... lol

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't much disagreement with his conclusions. In general I take his observations as being quite factual.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
I enjoy his writings. I find little reason to purchase Rifle and Handloader since his departure.

JD

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
George, Mehul,

As one living under a slow death sentence for the last decade all I have to offer is, "fight it and accept it every day". LD

Lawndart,

Thanks for the very good advice. I have found that since I accepted that this illness would definitely be my last, whenever it succeeds, I have begun to notice things that I did not before. The silhouette or snow on trees when I drive to pick my wife up after work at night, the pleasant nip in the air on a cold winter's day and the warmth of the sun on a pleasant day - all of these are worth enjoying much more than worrying about my health. Cool

Yes, guns and hunting will be a priority for the future. I also hope to continue enjoying good food and meeting friends - my invitation to friends I have made at AR and the NE forums to join us for lunch/dinner and cocktails whenever they visit Chicago is always open.

Thanks again and best wishes,

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot competition pistol against him and hunted with him. I like reading his stuff.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never read much of Seyfried's stuff when I took the Gun Rags because he typically wrote about Cartridges and Game that held no interest for me.

Seems like a lot of the above posters have respect for his opinion though.
---

I was at the 2000 NRA Convention in Charlotte, NC talking to some of the guys working in a Powder Supplier's booth. The guy I was talking to mentioned Seyfried was approaching us from the rear and said don't look around. Apparently he was trying to avoid him and turned so his back was to him.

That put me in a position where I could see him come in the area and watch to see how he approached the other folks.

He is a tall fellow and simply walked up, began talking "over" the other folks in a separate group as if since "he" had shown up everyone should just stop talking and listen only to him.

He also has an interesting stance where his nose is up in the air as if he is looking through the bottom of bifocals when he is talking.

My impression (right or wrong) was he is illmannered and thinks all people interested in firearms worship his words.

He just wouldn't fit in with the folks I hunt with. He may be very knowledgeable about all kinds of firearms related issues, but I always think of him as I actually saw him and have no use for his writings or spending time with him.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
When it comes to bigger bore firearms I think he knows his stuff.
When he gives advice about hunting, I weigh it pretty close.

As for his writings, he's one of a few that I'll read completely. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I've talked to Ross at a few NRA annuals and never saw him in a negative way. He would listen to my questions and provide answers. I did note that he didn't suffer fools too well. You know the kind; they know more than anyone else and are talking just to prove it.
Yep, his interest in old cartridges is not everyone's cup of tea. He understands that. But for those who like to learn about some of the obscure oldies, he's a wealth of info.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I enjoy and learn from Ross Seyfried's writings. His credibility is enhanced by his record in open competition and by his relatively detailed accounts of how and why he did this or that. For example, his experiments that led to recreating useful loads for old black powder express rifles are presented in sufficient detail that a really interested person could replicate his work. The big qualification to my statements is that I usually have no first-hand knowledge about Ross Seyfried's subjects. I have read a fair amount, but "know about" isn't as sure a criterion for judgment as "know how." I have never met Ross Seyfried, so I have no opinion about his personality.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I read an article, I want to learn something. I learn from Seyfried articles, and I like his technical results-oriented approach. In comparison, some other writers, who may have a greater popular following, can be somewhat lacking in substance in their articles.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted with Ross and talked to him quite a bit over these last several years. His knowledge about fire arms is amazing. Simply amazing. He has been extrodinarily kind about sharing his time. I am sure that he doesn't suffer people who present themselves as experts every well but my experiences with him have all been very positive.

With hunting and reloading he has been there done that and got the t-shirt. He was a great guide for me. As far as shooting. I watched him take my iron sighted rifle, that he was totaly unfamiliar with, and casualy smack two rights and two lefts into a group smaller than the palm of my hand at a hundred yards.

I wish that he would write some books. I think he is the best in the gun writing business. I dropped handloader and rifle when he quite writing for them.
ES

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
els, do me a favor please. Next time you chat with him, ask how he paper patches round balls so...perfectly. He did an article in DGJ a few years back, about bore rifles IIRC, and had some pictures of those, and some patched conicals. I tried...I failed...it is driving me nutz! Confused Conicals are not a problem...it's the round balls...AAIIIIEEEEE!!!

Thanks! I'll be hanging around here at AR...with all the other nuts.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk to Ross 3 years ago at SCI very very likeable preson easy to get a long with tried to talk him into selling me his Rigby 577Nitro double but no way we had a good laugh over that
,hope he sits down some day a writes a few books.

Posts: 491 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
He is simply the best. Since he has left the staff, I have decided to let my Wolfe Publishing subscriptions expire.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13483 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Seyfried was involved in the development of the .475 and .500 Linebaugh. He also got in on the ground floor with the 45/454 Seville linebaugh.

At the behest of Mr. Linebaugh, I called Mr. Seyfried, and, for about 45 minutes, got a lecture-conversation on hunting cape buffalo, and, how easy it is to hit the nose of a charging buffalo, with a pistol, with 5 shots, and the buffalo coming from 25 yards. The man was very cordial, and kind, considering he was getting a phone call from a novice, asking him a ton of questions. The man, much like John Linebaugh, has the patience of a saint.

Suffice to say the man's ability to shoot is amazing, and, I guess confidence can often be mistaken for arogance. He is one of the better handgun shooters ever.

As for rifles, he's developed long range rifle rounds, and, I suspect after talking to him about the buffalo and his 45 Seville, he promptly tried to develop a round, the .585 Nyati, that would be the equal of the old nitro express rounds, but, a workable solution for the professional hunter, and, the avid sportsman, who are not princes, or sheiks.

Now, that to me, is a project that I find quite intresting...

Great person, in my experience, coupled with great ability. I suspect his shooting advice might be tempered by his ability to shoot, rather then targets for the average hunter, but, I could be wrong...
gs

One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
I read articles and not writers. I have never heard of the guy.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see most responses have been positive and informative and hopefully you all saw the corresponding thread on Ross' idea of ideal shot placement. I must say however, if a thread hangs around long enough, somebody's going to come up with something that's shall we say, less than enlighteneing. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:

Choices:

O good
O mediocre
O bad

quote:
I'm glad to see most responses have been positive and informative and hopefully you all saw the corresponding thread on Ross' idea of ideal shot placement. I must say however, if a thread hangs around long enough, somebody's going to come up with something that's shall we say, less than enlighteneing.
Hey jorge, If you didn't want the "mediocre and bad", why did you ask for it in the first place?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote