THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Successful British Columbia Bear Hunt

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Successful British Columbia Bear Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend and I just returned from a Black Bear hunt in British Columbia. It was a great hunt in some of the most beautiful country in the world. I was fortunate to take two very nice bears and my friend got one and shot another that we could not find. Here is a picture of my first bear which is a six and a half footer.

I knocked this one down twice before he got in the brush. We tracked it down the mountain until it got dark on us. We came back the next morning and picked up the trail again. We found the bear pretty soon after starting.

The next one I shot is a beautiful sow that is a little over five feet. This one has the nicest hide I have ever seen on a bear.

The outfit we were hunting with is new and this is their first year doing bear hunts in this area. If you are looking for a spot and stalk black bear hunt I would highly suggest you check these guys out. They are the hardest working bunch I have seen in quite some time. You can tell they love what they do cause they hunt with a passion. They also do Moose, Grizzly, and Goats. They love to guide bowhunters so if you are a stick and string hunter check them out. Here is a link to their website. http://www.bolenlewis.com

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

M16, looks like you had a very good hunt, nice bear what cal and bullet, any pics of recovered bullets?,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice bears! Was this on vancouver island? It is nice to see you can still score without looking like a para military! How do you rate the eyesight of the black bear?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kev, I didn't recover any bullets. I used a 30-06 Blaser with PMC 165 grain X-bullet factory loads on one bear and Federal premium 180 grain nosler partitions on the other. Those were some tough bears. One took a total of three shots and one took five shots. I kept punching them a little high in the shoulder. They are a little deceptive with all that hair. This was a spot and stalk hunt so the distance was quite a bit longer than on a bait hunt.

Boghossian, I am no bear expert but I think their eyesight is fair. Their sense of smell is excellent and failure to get downwind will result in a blown stalk. Although I do wear camoflage on occasion I don't think it is necessary for most hunting.

The area we hunted was quite a bit north of Vancouver. It was near Terrace which is not far from the Alaska border.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A black bears eyesight is quite poor actually.He makes up for it with

an excellent nose though.

Dave

Posts: 74 | Location: Nanaimo,BC,Canada | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Tell us more about the hunt, and how it worked!

Congrats!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The area we hunted was quite a bit north of Vancouver. It was near Terrace which is not far from the Alaska border.

World class bear country you were in. I hunt alot in that area for goat and moose and do a fair bit of steelheading there too.

I put my fall griz draw in just an hour east of terrace this fall. There is some real monsters in that country.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote