THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wolf Hunting Caliber/ Bullet Weight and Outfitter Recommendation

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf Hunting Caliber/ Bullet Weight and Outfitter Recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have not been Wolf hunting in quite sometime now. Last time I shot a huge Alpha male that I did a life size mount on casters. I would like to go again and prefer to go to Ontario, since I can drive there from NY, but I am open to other locations if it is worthwhile.

Also, this time I am looking to use a .30-06 with factory ammo. I could use some recommendations on that too.
Basically, 125 gr. vs. 150 gr.

Any other helpful tips are appreciated as well.

Cold Zero

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Having hunted, shot and eaten wolf, I recommend 150gr TSX or TTSX, given your options. Nothing fancy needed. Stay away from ballistic tips or bergers- then can tend to expand on exit too much. Then again, I shot one wolf using a 300WSM and 180 gr Accubinds and the exit wasn't that bad.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure of Ontario regs. I hunted wolf next door in Quebec though. If allowed, it would be easiest to hunt them over bait in the winter from about 250-300 yards downwind.

I prefer to call them in, if possible but no guarantees.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have time/money, I would prefer to hunt wolves in Alberta. I have seen large wolves each time I hunted there during either spring bear hunts or fall mule deer/elk hunts. They are larger, on average than you'd find in Ontario or QUebec, unless you are able to hunt above the 50th parallel latitude which is hard to do in Ontario.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Ontario, we have some variety in the wolf species. We have some very large wolves that would qualify as Grey or Timber. I've seen them and trailed them as lone wolves. The MNR doesn't seem aware of this, or don't want to admit it because it would spoil their ideology that such wolves live in packs in the far north of our province. I tracked one in particular during winter in deep snow with snowshoes. He managed to stay just ahead and out of sight. He was a black wolf.

I know how big he was by his tracks in snow. I came across them walking on crust without my snowshoes on. The wolf was breaking through the same crust every third or fourth step.From front to back, his tracks walking was over 6 feet. I then came across his tracks one day when he was trailing a big buck whitetail in very steep and rugged terrain in winter snow. He made an attempt to bring it down but the deer escaped - at least as far as I followed. Beyond that, I don't know...

A friend and hunting partner ( also a CO) sometimes, and I came within a few yards in a snowstorm, but again that wolf snuck past us knowing all the time where we were. I've also seen one in daylight, in this area (an hour south of the one described in the Haliburton Highlands where most of my hunting has been done for the past 40 yrs) crossing (bounding) a major highway maybe 30 yards in front of me. It was beautiful and as large as any grey wolf. And another when driving my brother and wife to the Toronto International Airport at 3 a.m. It was huge!

But also we have hybrids - a mix of grey-eastern wolf and coyote. That knowledge is quite recent from DNA testing. The head biologist at the MNR has named it the "Algonquin Wolf" and claimed it was an endangered species, putting it off limits to hunters in the townships surrounding Algonquin Park. It isn't endangered as it's known throughout Eastern Canada as "Coy Dog", "brush wolf", and a few other names since Canada's east has had both wolves and coyotes. Then we have a breed of coyotes called "Eastern Coyote". So wolves and coyotes being canines they do wahat all dogs do - they breed indiscriminately! Even with local dogs! Yes, there are packs of the hybreds that on average are smaller than the grey of timber wolves, but they have wolf DNA and are dangerous in packs. Some killed a lone young woman hiking in the Cape Britain Highlands of Nova Scotia a few years ago . . . and I could go on . . .

You will need an outfitter as a nonresident of Ontario. Just Google it.

I hunt "wolves" whatever their DNA! And love it! I've had 'em surround my vehicle when hunting them. My rifle was in the back seat. . . I didn't get out to get in the back until they left on their own hunting expedition!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being" - King David, Psalm 148 (NLT)

Posts: 847 | Location: Kawartha Lakes, ONT, Canada | Registered: 21 November 2008Reply With Quote