THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Got 'er Done in Texas - More Photos Added!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got 'er Done in Texas - More Photos Added!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
Here's the buck I tagged this past weekend north of Uvalde. It's a legit 10-pt. without the broken point on the crab claw of the left main beam and a little kicker point coming off the right brow tine. Inside spread is 16 inches.

The other buck I shot two weeks ago is a good heavy 9-point with an 18" inside spread. I got another cape for him, though.

I need to go drop the capes off at the taxidermist right now. I'll take a couple of photos with both sets of antlers together and post them later with a few other terrain photos. etc.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Great buck! Was there any ground shrinkage with the 9 pt you shot a while back or was he as good as you remembered?

Congrats

Drum

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Congrats on another great buck.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony he is a real nice one Congrats

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Very Nice Tony. Congrats! Were they rutting pretty good? I will be in Uvalde Dec 27-31...hoping for one muy grande!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Nice WT Tony, congrats

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Tony, great G2s and G3s on that buck!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Very nice! thumb

Am looking forward to seeing the other photos, too...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9405 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Drum,

No ground shrinkage on the 9-pt. In fact, it was a bit better than I thought it would be because I never really got a good look at the spread before I shot it. See the pix in my next reply.

Frank,

The G-2s are 9" & 9" and the G-3s are 11" and 10.5" on the one in the photo above. The 9-pt's G2s and G3s are all within 1/4" of 10" either way.

Tim,

Yup, they were going at it hot and heavy. That's why I moved my trip up from New Year's weekend to this last one.

Perhaps I'm messed up, but I thought the season in the Uvalde area closes on Jan. 17, no????

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are couple of pix with both sets of antlers. I put my rifle in one for size comparison sake.

The wider one with the dark skull plate is the one I shot two weeks ago.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Tony,

A couple of very nice deer there. Congrats on a successful season in Texas!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These are a few pix of the terrain.

The first one -- taken at 3X from where I shot -- is where I killed the buck this weekend. We were glassing from a ridge about 600-800 yds. away, and I found him with my 12X binocs. He was bedded with three does where the left arrow is pointing.

I stalked within 200 yards when one of the does nailed me. The buck popped up and trotted to the opening where the arrow on the right is pointing to him on the ground. He stopped, facing almost dead away and looking back at me.

Because I thought my .264 was shooting too high, I left it in camp and used my custom Robar .300 WM (in the photo above). I nailed him low in the neck -- bang-flop, DRT. The 180-gr. TBBC blew through the neck, leaving about a 3" exit hole for the taxidermist to patch up.

Other than the different types of vegetation, the terrain was very much like the areas where I hunt Coues deer. Since I refuse to hunt over feeders, it was an ideal situation.

Doug, the ranch manager, looking over one of the valleys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
congrats on 2 nice deer; I like the look of that country, and am in agreement on the spot and stalk nature of your hunt rather than over feeders....

nice work,

Best Regards,
Craig Nolan

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some photos of my humble accommodations.

The kitchen area with Doug slicing up the baby back ribs he just pulled off the BBQ.

The rec room area, complete with satellite TV.

The bunk room. There are two small bedrooms and two big bathrooms at the far end. I slept in one of the BRs.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Great bucks!!! Hell of a year bud!

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had fun. Glad they found your other buck.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Bucks no doubt!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Not sure about when it closes Tony. I was thinking Jan 7 (may well be 17th), but any of the ranches that are enrolled in the state mgt program can hunt into Feb.

I am hunting Dec 27-31 (not Jan). Sounds like I might be a little late for the rut...

We are hunting the 18,000 acre low fence Harris Ranch...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will be in Uvalde Jan 27-31...hoping for one muy grande!

Aaahaa. In your other message (see above), you said "...Jan 27-31", thus my question.

I think you might still get in on the rut. Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
oops...Bad Typo! Sorry...been traveling so much the months are all running together...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'll bet that the bunkroom sounds like a saw mill on a full night.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like your hunting boots!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fjold,

I cracked up when I read your comment. Smiler

Coincidentally, Doug's friend Bob, who is standing in the kitchen, is quite the snorer. He slept in the bunk room the first night and kept both Doug and I awake half the night. I even had the BR door shut. Sooo...we relegated him to one of the couches in the rec room the 2nd night. Man, what a difference.

Pegleg,

Hey, don't knock the tennies. I often wear them when I know the weather will be mild and I'll be trying to do some sneaking up on game. The tennis shoes are a lot quieter than my lug-soled boots because I can better feel where I'm putting my feet down.

In fact, after a spring bear hunting trip in BC in the early 1980s, while bowhunting I sometimes made stalks in my stocking feet on Arizona's javelina. But that soon got old after a few cactus needles. So I started carrying soft-soled mocassins in my pack just for the purpose.

For entertainment purposes, here's the lead to an article I wrote for OUTDOOR LIFE in the 1980s about the spring bear hunt, where I first did the stocking-foot deal.

"Take off your shoes."

As I glanced up at the huge mantle of menacing black clouds that was dropping lower onto the British Columbia mountains, a light mist settled on my face. The prospect of running around in my stocking feet during a soon-to-be-released, springtime gully-washer failed to excite me. Wondering if maybe his brain was caught in a zipper, I turned to my companion.

Roy Pattison was already bent over, removing his second shoe, but he undoubtedly sensed my apprehension. He looked up, then smiled when he saw the puzzled expression on my wet face.

"Standard operating procedure," he whispered. "The less noise we make, the better. In fact, on the way up here I heard your extra ammo rattling in your pocket. Separate them."

Realizing I should have known better, I sheepishly divided the five shells into different pockets and sat on rock to undo my boot laces. It was then that the strange irony taking place occurred to me.

In preparation for western Canada's supposedly frequent spring rains, I had bought boots with a waterproof Gore-Tex lining. Now, as the raindrops grew larger and puddles began to form on the little used, dirt and gravel two-track, I was taking the boots off.

I hitched up my socks and stood, feeling slightly ridiculous but ready to continue the stalk, nonetheless. "Let's go. I'm ready."

The guide began walking and I followed, wincing as the sharp-edged gravel indented the soles of my feet. As my socks wicked up more moisture, each step caused an uncomfortable, squishy feeling.

Earlier our binoculars had located two dark spots in a swath of emerald green grass more than a mile distant. Although the sighting prompted Pattison to assemble his spotting scope, I surmised he already knew what he was seeing after having chased Canada's bears for over 20 years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice bucks Outdoor Writier, your pictures and story are always first class. I hope to chase coues deer sometime soon.

Posts: 96 | Location: Arroyo Grande, Ca. | Registered: 09 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Tony that's a beautiful buck!

-Sean

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Thats two nice bucks you got there Tony
beer

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Congrats on some beauties Tony.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should have mentioned that I'm having the bucks mounted by Chris Kreuger. His wife, Mary, is a regular here.

These are two mule deer from the AZ Strip (NOT MINE!)that Chris did. He'll do the whitetails and landscape, and I'll make the wooden base.

one of us
posted Hide Post
And...taadaa -- the finished product, which I just picked up today.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice job on the mounts!

~Ann

Posts: 19556 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Very nice Tony!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AWESOME!!
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
I like it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure looks fine to me.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That's some first-rate taxidermy... tu2 tu2

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9405 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Great looking mount!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Kudos on the two Bucks; both have excellent racks. I'd be proud to shoot either one.
Thanks for the narrative, and some great pix. tu2

Don

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Nice mounts!

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You gotta love Texas deer hunting, congratulations. Dr.C

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle