Find
Notify
Tools

Headed out for Axis today...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
Time to get a mid-year freezer-filler. A buddy and I are headed to a ranch he has access to where the owner will let Axis does go for FREE! Can't beat that, especially when you see vendors on the web selling 2 pounds of Axis back strap for $70! Hell, that's not even one whole back strap.

Also, I've decided to give the Hornady SSTs a second chance this weekend. Haven't shot them in a couple years after a less-than-optimal initial performance on a whitetail. We'll see how they fare.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RSY,
Good luck on your hunt. I have also decided to give the 7mm Hornady 154 SP interlock a second chance after a lost whitetail last season. A perfect broadside shot, found lung tissue on the ground at point of impact, but blood trail petered out within 10 yards and he was found 2 days later over 200 yards away . Friends who found him said looked as if he was shot just behind the right shoulder just where I aimed . Maybe next time I'll shoot for the shoulder as it's better to loose a shoulder than the whole deer!-JDL

Posts: 61 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
I'm back, deer in hand; a successful and fun hunt. But, just barely.

The SST: I shot her from about 50 yards and she took off into a very thick cedar stand, in front of which she was standing. We were damned lucky to find her, as the SST didn't exit so we had no blood trail. That's the second time I've had no exit wound on a deer with this bullet (130-gr. .277 SST). Disheartening, to say the least.

However, I did find the bullet under the hide, this time. It weighed roughly 69 grains. It impacted in the front left shoulder and wound up under the hide at the right rear of the paunch. This, from a perfectly perpendicular braodside shot! Go figure.

Though not entirely pleased, I will say that expansion stopped at the InterLock ring, which is pretty impressive.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Axis Deer hide is tougher than it looks.

I have only shot two axis in my life, I used a .270 (130 gr bullets ... pobably, don't remember)

Neither animal had an exit wound. I did a finish shot on one of them at 10 yards ... still no exit. The bullets were intact and came to rest on the opposite shoulder.

Being Indian game, I can understand how the hide might be a bit tougher than our native deer of the same size.

My experience is limited. Maybe someone else can shed some light on the thickness and/or toughness of Axis hide.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Axis Deer hide is tougher than it looks.

Agreed. It is a bit thick, and the hair was extremely thick, as well.

RSY