New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-06
 Login/Join

<PrimeTime>
posted
Anyone try this before? 140 grain partition at 2950 ought to be pretty potent although 140 grains is a little on the light side.
Any thoughts or experiences?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not too much experience at that velocity, my 6.5 is a mild mannered Swede. The 140gr. NPT shoots well in my rifle, and has always put the deer down with full penetration. Just curious, is your rifle a custom barreled wildcat, or a rechamber? Have wondered about rechambering my Model 70... Just that sitting on a powerline, being able to see to the horizon in two directions makes you feel the need for speed. Mike.

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
<PrimeTime>
posted
Oops, I meant to say "6.5-06 on elk" just wondering if anyone had shot elk with the 140's. I know heavier bullets are better but...
mine is a custom on a 721 with a Shilen chromoly barrel.

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
PrimeTime,

My 6.5-06 is very similar to yours, a Rem 700 with a 23.5"/9" twist Shilen chrome-moly barrel. Stock is fiberglass, and it is bedded with Marine Tex and aluminum pillars. I did my Rem M721 in 280 Rem (actually at the time it was 7mm Express Rem)to shoot metalllic silhouette. The 6.5 is my Western (USof A) deer rifle. I have not shot an elk with it, but with the 140 gr and heavier bullets it will kill them with proper shot placement. Think 270 as noted above! I carry a heavier rifle for elk, a .338 or a .375, because you are not always going to get the shot you need with the smaller cartridge.

I have shot the 160 Sierra Round Nose in my rifle, and it is very accurate. I also tried the Old Style Barnes 165 semi-spitzer, but got groups over 4" -- so stability is shaky with this long bullet. More twist than 9" needed.

My rifle shoots good bullets into some very small groups, those Shilen barrels are good for that.

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Flinch>
posted
Mine is a 26" Reminton 700. I shoot Hornady 140 grain flat base spire point bullets in it.They average a little over 3,000 fps and they are GIANT killers. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot much of anything with them. They really open up well, but the sectional density drives them through the largest elk. Great round and VERY underestimated. I don't like partitions much, because they just don't do enough damage for my liking. Flinch