New
Find
Notify
Tools

KY
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have no idea how this missed us. 2 hours away. Houses have been completely washed off foundations. 10 inches of rain during morning.

After 2 days of rain.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=...m-i1jbebtQiXG3Aj1YUq

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
I have no idea how this missed us. 2 hours away. Houses have been completely washed off foundations. 10 inches of rain during morning.

After 2 days of rain.

[/url]

Time fly's about 7 years ago we had 11 inches in 24hrs. Lots of damage.

Prayers to all those effected

Posts: 19368 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
We just bought a place outside of Cynthiana, KY and I'm actually driving there on Monday morning.

I've been watching all the reports and it looks like we're out of the flood area. My property is a small valley on the top of about a 140 feet tall hill. So I'm only worried about the 1/4 mile long gravel driveway going into my place.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12540 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are. Your place is just above Lexington in the Bluegrass.

Perry County and East are broken.

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m right here in the epicenter…. Just when you think it couldn’t be any worse, you round the next curve and surprised by something else.

My sister has lost her home… had about 3 feet of water in it… of course basement was full.

But, several folks had their home swept completely away. So sad and heartbreaking.

If you search Whitesburg (Neon, Jenkins, Hazard, Or Jackson) Flooding on FB you can see a glimps of the destruction. Calling it a 200 yr flood! I was blessed to have my house and business (just inside Virginia) spared any damages.
Many friends and customers lost everything…. But, it’s comforting to see how many local counties from all around rushing in to clean up and help…
Just keep SE KY you your prayers… it will be a long process rebuilding…and it will done!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Skip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over 1,000 homeless

At least 25 dead

Guys this is Appalachian KY. The poorest part of the state by statistics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes me think twice about retiring to Kentucky.

Posts: 470 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 March 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every place has its nature.

Forest Fires in WY and California, and Hurricanes on the Coast.

Drought in California

We got hit with a horrible tornado and two big floods. We, my county, got record 100 year flood in 2018. One person died. The land just lays a certain way that harm was limited.

The dominoes just fell the horrible way. Happens somewhere, every year.

No rain today. It rained all weekend.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just got back from Perry County. Unless you have lived in E.Ky, E.TN, W.V, E.Virginia, it is hard to describe these rural, holler communities.

They are small communities built where creeks meet to form low, bottom land coming out of the foothills of Appalachia. These places are made up of 4 to 6 family groups with extended kin. What you have seen on the tv and Facebook does not compare.

There may be a store or two.

They have been washed away, gone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.gofundme.com/f/eas...eb752601e4a9f08b64b5

Not sure if this is appropriate here, but this is my sister’s GoFundMe page that her friend has set up. She saved her horses, goats, cow and most of the chickens (an animal lover for sure). She lost 100+ bales of alfalfa hay, all feeds, most everything in her house, barn, mobile home by barn, and possibly her house. It has shifted but the insurance company has not made a final inspection.

In areas it is complete devastating.. 5 counties were hit hard.

Appreciate any donations and prayers… Many prayers need for our communities!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers are with everyone.

During Hurricane Floyd in 1999 we had 15 inches in four hours. I did not think that was possible. Worst flood in Eastern NC history. We lost 87 souls and still have not recovered economically. I was a volunteer fireman back then and helped recover bodies. Not fun. Ran boat through one of my cotton fields and there was 15 feet of water from top of the cotton to the surface of water. Amazing what you see when that much water covers a land mass. Large mats of 10'X10' fire ants floating in the water. Game on every island you see and cars washed miles away from roads. I still have a car in one of my flooder timber holes that I hunt which is two miles away from a road.

In 2018 Hurricane Florence dropped 8 inches in five hours. Difference this time was that it was wind driven rain at 80mph. Had to totally tear house down to frame. Left nothing but the framing and plumbing. Amazing how much water can get in your house after a few shingles are blown off of roof.

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote